MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
King of the Sink
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK - after having the PC-III custom mapped, the bike has been running MUCH better, and the fuel economy is MUCH improved.

However - the bike has been running a lot hotter, and even in relatively cool conditions it heats up very quickly at idle. It's reaching 94C (201F) in no time at all. I also noticed today that the exhaust was 'popping' a lot when I backed off the throttle when slowing down.

Does the collective wisdom think I have a problem (now or potentially)? Should I change the PC-III settings so it runs a little richer?

Thanks in advance!

·
Ball & Chain magnet
3,027 Posts
more heat.... popping exhaust.... more power...sounds a bit too lean... my F4 is doing the same thing.... I'll have to richen up a bit to try to sort the same things you are describing.... I have been told these are lean condition problems.... maybe the custom map needs a bit more tweeking??? air/fuel....should comment shortly..he seems to be the man for the task on answering things like this. you could shoot him a pm...he's very helpfull :friday:

·
King of the Sink
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks Djester - hopefully Airfuel will make a comment or two! :)

Do you know if it can potentially damage the bike?

Would you all care to share your 'normal' operating temp in, say 25C, (77F) heat?

·
Registered
922 Posts
Sventekoz said:
Do you know if can potentially damage the bike?
I'm no expert, but I understand that generally speaking, too lean is potentially damaging. Don't think the F4 is exempt from this. Excess heat, greater internal friction – not pretty. Running a touch rich helps to cool the engine...

·
Registered
968 Posts
Keep in mind that there are two thermostats. The reading you see displayed is the one from the radiator, which is going to vary greatly during your ride. The thermostat 'inside' the engine keeps the coolant around the cylinders between 98-102 (off the top of my head). This is regulated by controlling the radiator flow.

The popping I'd be more worried about than the temp, as long as it never goes too far beyond 100 (start to worry when the temp flashes) - Brutales run a fair bit cooler than F4's anyway so we have more leeway.

·
King of the Sink
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
rents said:
Keep in mind that there are two thermostats. The reading you see displayed is the one from the radiator, which is going to vary greatly during your ride. The thermostat 'inside' the engine keeps the coolant around the cylinders between 98-102 (off the top of my head). This is regulated by controlling the radiator flow.

The popping I'd be more worried about than the temp, as long as it never goes too far beyond 100 (start to worry when the temp flashes) - Brutales run a fair bit cooler than F4's anyway so we have more leeway.
Thanks for that. Why would you be more worried about the popping? What does it indicate?

·
King of the Sink
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
JamesC said:
Post your a/f chart.
Here it is. As you can see, it started very rich, and was leaned right out.

·
King of the Sink
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
airfuel said:
Sounds lean to me. You can make temp adjustments using the face plate buttons to richen things up and see how that goes.
I hadn't thought about that - thanks! I was going to fiddle around with the map.

Could this sort of thing do any damage, to your knowledge?

·
Registered
803 Posts
You have to remember that A/F ratios from dyno runs are made at full throttle only. You can not use it as an indication of what the A/F ratio is at throttle positions at 10%, 30%, etc. When you are popping on deceleration the throttle is either completely closed or nearly closed.

BTW, your dyno charts look plenty rich.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
John,

Just hold all three buttons on the face of the PC and start the bike. Push the button on the low side and richen it two bars, wait for it to take and try it. Won't hurt a thing and can easily be set back to normal.

·
King of the Sink
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
airfuel said:
John,

Just hold all three buttons on the face of the PC and start the bike. Push the button on the low side and richen it two bars, wait for it to take and try it. Won't hurt a thing and can easily be set back to normal.
Thanks John! :)

I'll let you know how it goes.

·
King of the Sink
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
dumbcomputers said:
You have to remember that A/F ratios from dyno runs are made at full throttle only. You can not use it as an indication of what the A/F ratio is at throttle positions at 10%, 30%, etc. When you are popping on deceleration the throttle is either completely closed or nearly closed.

BTW, your dyno charts look plenty rich.
Here's the mapping info. As you can see (and as Airfuel pointed out), it's been leaned out quite a lot!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts