MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had her up to 125 today without a wobble. Does everyone agree the Brutale needs a damper?

·
Registered
126 Posts
i too have had it (Brutale 910S) at extreme speed 135+ without any hint of a wobble. it will not tell you before it wobbles, if it did there would be no problem as you would just slow down. the wobble typically occurs with hard acceleration and non-perfect surfaces or cornering - not at high, straight, stable speed. i rode for 1,200 miles without my now installed Matris 4R and that was dumb. only went that long b/c really didn't push it hard until after first 1,000 miles. once pushed really hard on back roads with imperfect pavement and lots of curves, it will wobble some from time to time

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jmrudnicki said:
i too have had it (Brutale 910S) at extreme speed 135+ without any hint of a wobble. it will not tell you before it wobbles, if it did there would be no problem as you would just slow down. the wobble typically occurs with hard acceleration and non-perfect surfaces or cornering - not at high, straight, stable speed. i rode for 1,200 miles without my now installed Matris 4R and that was dumb. only went that long b/c really didn't push it hard until after first 1,000 miles. once pushed really hard on back roads with imperfect pavement and lots of curves, it will wobble some from time to time
Thank you, James

·
Registered
186 Posts
I took my bike out for about a 300 mile run today... It wobbled a couple of times. It likes to wobble when you load up the rear tire (hard accel/very little weight on front tire) and then hit a bump. (E.G. highway on ramps) High speed gets no wobble as the weight distro is fine as high speeds.

I may be able to stop the wobble if I plant my butt before accel and refrain from pulling back on the handlebars though.

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
t1n0m3n said:
I took my bike out for about a 300 mile run today... It wobbled a couple of times. It likes to wobble when you load up the rear tire (hard accel/very little weight on front tire) and then hit a bump. (E.G. highway on ramps) High speed gets no wobble as the weight distro is fine as high speeds.

I may be able to stop the wobble if I plant my butt before accel and refrain from pulling back on the handlebars though.

so.....
will YOU get a dampner?

i know i may never "need" one
but.... i'm sure glad i spent the money on that matris M4R

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
186 Posts
hmm, thinking about it, but I honestly don't think it is very necessary, I have found that every time it has wobbled on me (from experimenting) it has been because I am pulling back on the handlebars. I have had way more scary bikes than this one with no damper. (V-Max anyone?) I really don't like to use a damper if I can get away with it. I will eval my front tire in a few thousand miles and make the decision then. I will let the bike tell me if it needs a damper or not. So far it has been pilot error causing slight wobbles from time to time.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I agree the Brutale doesn't need a damper. It all comes down to personal preference really - in my opinion no rider should blindly follow the "I had wobbles, got a damper, everyone needs one" type posts here without first getting used to how the Brutale works - time in the saddle will show you your path.

For me the Brutale geometry is pretty spot-on without one. I prefer to receive as much feedback as I can through the handlebars and a damper lessens this feeling, regardless of how good the damper is and/or how adjustable. Front wheel wobble may feel uncomfortable but won't upset the Brutale so badly that you'll come off, when travelling at fast road speeds.

On the track, surfaces are generally a lot smoother and so you won't have the same problems when you turn the wick up past public road speeds, and generally you'll know the track and where the bumps are before you crank it up anyhow.

Just my :two bucks:

·
Registered
186 Posts
In my experience, the Yamaha V-Max wobble was a lot more immediate, sudden, and violent. It happened the same way as the Brutale... Hard accel, a bump, and pulling back on the handlebars. I think the Brutale's wobble is quite a bit more lazy and controllable (or has been so far.) For me, in both cases, planting my butt against the seat and not putting pressure on the bars while accelerating hard was key to completely eliminating the wobble.

Of course the V-Max had other issues which I loved it for. No other bike I know of can scare you quite as bad for it doing something totally unexpected. I swear the bike had a hinge in the middle that magically appeared when you had it leaned over in a curve. Don't get me wrong, the V-Max faults were a part of it's charm for me.

However, time will tell, I don't have the 20 or 30k Brutale miles yet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts