MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just wanted to share something I found online after conducting a lot of research on tail lights for the Rivale :grin2: I'm not sure if it is applicable to the Stradale too but I managed to fix my Rivale tail lights instead of purchasing a replacement tail light with the help of this video uploaded by YouTuber Arnaldo Borghi, he shows us how he manages to repair his tail light by dismantling his tail light then replacing the burnt LEDs. Below you can find the video as well as the LED type needed to replace the burnt LEDs I have also attached pictures of before and after repairing my lights.

Video:
LEDs: 1W EPISTAR LED BEAD CHIP (Note that the LEDs have to be RED color 625nm 1W)

Hope this information is helpful for some Rivale / Stradale owners!

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks for sharing WesSunday,

i did replace one of the tail light on my Stradale last summer and I was wondering if it could be repaired.

Eric

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome .... thanks for sharing .... did it take long?
Hi Manic, the most time consuming part was carefully prying apart the lens from the housing and also cleaning off the glue residue to re-seal it nicely in order to avoid dust and water from penetrating. Basic electrical knowledge is needed too. We fixed it in just over an hour from removing the tail light from the bike.

Thanks for sharing WesSunday,

i did replace one of the tail light on my Stradale last summer and I was wondering if it could be repaired.

Eric
You're welcome Balou34, indeed it can be repaired! Maybe you could repair your old tail light and keep it as a spare or sell it on eBay :grin2:

Reactions: Manic

·
Registered
26 Posts
WesSunday,

I wish I could of kept the bad tail light but the dealer wanted it back for warranty. I'll keep that in mind for when the warranty ends.

Eric

Reactions: WesSunday

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hi all,

Just wanted to share something I found online after conducting a lot of research on tail lights for the Rivale :grin2: I'm not sure if it is applicable to the Stradale too but I managed to fix my Rivale tail lights instead of purchasing a replacement tail light with the help of this video uploaded by YouTuber Arnaldo Borghi, he shows us how he manages to repair his tail light by dismantling his tail light then replacing the burnt LEDs. Below you can find the video as well as the LED type needed to replace the burnt LEDs I have also attached pictures of before and after repairing my lights.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qovgGhcibXs
LEDs: 1W EPISTAR LED BEAD CHIP (Note that the LEDs have to be RED color 625nm 1W)

Hope this information is helpful for some Rivale / Stradale owners!
How did you take apart the lights and glue them back together?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Quick question for any of you electrically-minded people out there:

On both of the rear lights on my Stradale, three of the LEDs stopped working. Replaced the LEDs on the right hand light, and all working as normal again. Did this with the left hand light (the three non-working LEDs were actually the top three, as apposed to the bottom three on the right hand light) and it didn't solve the problem.

Now, I know the plug that it connects to is good because I tested this using the right hand light, so what is the problem? Is there a gremlin in the circuit somewhere? And why only three lights not working - why not all six? Are they separated some how?

I want to take it to an auto electrician to be tested, but they charge a lot of money, and it might make more financial sense to just buy a whole rear light new.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi mate, not familiar with the Stradale rear light, maybe you could send picture of circuit board?

From my experience of working with LEDs in auto/bikes generally they are wired 3 in series because 12v blows them when used singularly. That might be why you are finding they react as groups of three. When wired in threes the polarity has to be correct ie. positive to negative to positive etc. If one's wrong the group won't work. So might be worth checking that.

As I say thou this is based on my experience making all sorts of custom LED arrays using LEDs bought in bulk from electronics suppliers and may not be relevant to your rear end. :)

HTH

·
Registered
114 Posts
OK just watched the video which shows the inside of the tail light and confirms the LEDs work as group of three, so if one has failed or its polarity is incorrect then the group won't work, but the other group of three will continue to work.

The group of three that is not working will have one or more LED failed or wired wrong way round. Find that and fix and you will be good to go, not auto-electrician needed.

Good luck.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Thanks for the info dude! The light was working prior and suddenly stopped working one day, so wouldn't that suggest something has blown or come loose? The LEDs on the cluster are all new now.

·
Registered
114 Posts
When you say the light ... suddenly stopped working, the light is what? One group of three LEDs, all six LEDs in one light or both lights? You said that power is getting thro because 3 of 6 LEDs are working so I'm struggling to understand - sorry.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Sorry for the confusion - I meant three inline LEDs on the left-hand light suddenly stopped working - funnily enough after I had removed the right hand light to inspect the reason for those three LEDs from having stopped working previously.

Yes, power is working fine.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have suddenly lost 3 LED lights (top left), what was the exact issue so that I can give an auto electrician a heads up?

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have suddenly lost 3 LED lights (top left), what was the exact issue so that I can give an auto electrician a heads up?
sorry, only just saw this! I never asked what the exact problem was but I believe it was just a short in the wiring that supplies power to the LEDs inside the light housing. A simple fix for an expert apparently.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts