MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
would anyone like to know how to do this? i did it on my bike. it works great and i didn't have to fork out a bunch of money on a tail tidy. let me know if you are interested and I'll do a write up on it. unless its already been posted and i just haven't come across it yet?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
wow, im suprised no one has asked about this yet. i guess having your turn signals as part of your tail light instead of having extra signal lights sticking out just isnt a popular idea? or maybe its common knowledge on how to do it? i dont know. . . oh well. . . .

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
Spec, there are many after market kits for this...and it puts the rider at risk of not having their intentions seen. In some places (especially the US, it is illegal).

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
It's illegal in the UK although it's not something the police are wise to (yet) had one on my Z1000, looked real neat and cleaned up the back end but any bike 3 years old has to go for an annual safety/roadworthy test and swapping it all back was a pain in the arse!

·
Registered
742 Posts
It's illegal in the UK although it's not something the police are wise to (yet) had one on my Z1000, looked real neat and cleaned up the back end but any bike 3 years old has to go for an annual safety/roadworthy test and swapping it all back was a pain in the arse!
I'm so happy they cancelled that plan in the EU. Like 1% of bikers don't sort out their bike why should i pay to get my bike checked. It get's it annual service and i check for loose stuff one in a while.

It's also illegal in the NL but again no one get's a ticket for it. Brake lights and signal lights may not have two funcgions in one. And there has to be a space of 30-35 cm between the blinkers.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmm, well i'm quite sure combined turn/brake isnt illegal in US, because it comes standard on many vehicles and motorcycles. but i can see there being a required spacing between the 2 lights. and on the B3 tail, there isnt much at all. i guess im just spoiled by the leniency cops give us with custom motorcycles here in So Cal. thanks for the heads up.

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
hmm, well i'm quite sure combined turn/brake isnt illegal in US, because it comes standard on many vehicles and motorcycles. but i can see there being a required spacing between the 2 lights. and on the B3 tail, there isnt much at all. i guess im just spoiled by the leniency cops give us with custom motorcycles here in So Cal. thanks for the heads up.

Name one.....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you ever seen a 4 pole round trailer plug? thats one pole for ground, one for running, and 2 for COMBINED left signal/brake and right signal/brake. trust me on this one

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
Bullshit...the turn signals are 4 feet apart. Every modern car incorporates turn signals into the taillight assembly, but that is not nearly the same as what you are espousing. Those houseings are separated by a legal requirement.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
In the UK it's legal to have the indicators and rear lights/brake lights within the same unit, pretty much all cars have this, but it's illegal for the indicators to interfere with the other lights function, the integrated bike lights work by alternating the brake and indicator and this is what makes it illegal. Also as Lacsap says the lights have to be a certain distance apart (although I think most tail tidys might break this?)

The US law on distance apart might be even further than Europe? Take a look at the US spec ZX10R compared to the UK one, the UKs are incorporated into the tail unit whereas the US ones are on stalks as most other bikes?

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
Yes, my point is that you won't find a production car or bike in the US where the brake and turn lights are integrated into one 4" space with 3/4" separation for the turn signals.

I followed a bike the other day with an integrated unit. I could not tell his intent from 10 feet away. All I could see was a flashing yellowish light.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
A full multibarred LED breaklight that used a system like the new mustangs or old Cougars and use the yellow "sequenced" blinker that leads to the side would be a better system for a bike. Otherwise it is just a yellow flashing light in the center of the bike.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
It is the separation between the lights that makes your intentions known from a distance.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry, but I have many state highway patrol and city police officer friends and they tell me that combined turn signal/brake light is totally legal, at least in California. Please do your research before making an uninformed ass of yourself. Also, remember what I stated in the beginning: combined is NOT illegal, but there may be a legal requirement of distance between the 2 lights. Also, you can't call bullshit on me when I went and confirmed my truck's factory lights. Shall I video it and post a link to prove it to you?

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
Sorry, but I have many state highway patrol and city police officer friends and they tell me that combined turn signal/brake light is totally legal, at least in California. Please do your research before making an uninformed ass of yourself. Also, remember what I stated in the beginning: combined is NOT illegal, but there may be a legal requirement of distance between the 2 lights. Also, you can't call bullshit on me when I went and confirmed my truck's factory lights. Shall I video it and post a link to prove it to you?
Well, in California, you can do things with your tail lights that a majority of the rest of the country can't. My statement wasn't that it is illegal in ALL of the US, but in some states. If I were to do what you propose here, in Massachusetts, I would not pass inspection.

Now, as for your truck's factory lights...please, please, please post a picture with the SINGLE 4 INCH CENTER MOUNTED COMBINED BRAKE AND TURN SIGNAL SYSTEM WITH THE SIGNALS 3/4 INCH APART.

Reading is fundamental, comprehension is priceless.

Before you go calling somebody an ass on a public forum, make sure you understand the premise.

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
California Law for ASSHATS

Turn Signals (24951, 24952, 24953 VC). A turn signal system, if installed, shall include four turn signal lamps, two single-faced or two double-faced front lamps, and two single-faced rear lamps. The two lamps at each end shall be mounted at least nine inches apart and as far apart as practicable, with the front lamps at least four inches from the nearest luminous edge of the low beam headlamp. Motorcycles manufactured and first registered on or after January 1, 1973, except motor-driven cycles if speed attainable in one mile is 30 mph or less, are required to be equipped with turn signal systems with the front turn signal lamps spaced at least 16 inches apart and the rear turn signal lamps spaced at least 9 inches apart. The lamp shall be so connected that the front and rear lamps on the side toward which a turn is signaled shall flash simultaneously. The system shall also include a flasher and a visual indicator to the driver that the turn signal lamps are on. The rear sections of double-faced front lamps may serve as the required indicators. The lamps shall project white or amber light to the front and red or amber light to the rear. The lamps shall be plainly visible from 300 feet to front and rear. On vehicles manufactured after January 1, 1969, the turn signal lamps shall be mounted no less than 15 inches above the roadway and the front lamps must be amber. Turn signals are not required on motorized bicycles.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
'73, I think the government needs to update for modern times. LEDs, vehicles that cut a headlight during signalling. 16" apart for the front of motorcycles? That seems extreme, but makes sense for the weak bulbs and thicker covers of the day.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Comprehension IS priceless, and it seems you failed to comprehend that I did in fact already admit that there is most likely a required distance separation between the 2 lights if utilizing a combined brake/signal setup. You just keep arguing this point as if I haven't already touched base on it, because you disagree with the safety of the system since you can't "tell the rider's intention" from over 10 feet away. MY point is (pertaining to the initial debate) that combined brake/turn signal IS in fact a legal system in the US. Now, is it legal on a B3 tail light with the bulbs so close together? Technically not, BUT the center running light DOES act as a separator allowing a distinguishable left and right side, and THEREFORE, 2 of my police officer friends said I would never be pulled over for it. If I got pulled over for let's say speeding, then they COULD write me a fix it ticket if they wanted to.

Sorry for calling you an ass. I just got irritated that we're still arguing a point that I already admitted probably had legal requirements.

I guess my thread title should be for California B3 owners only.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts