MV Agusta Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
It always dismays and disappoints me when some one says, I have to sell my MV, Ducati, ................ bike as I just don't ride it enough. Well, ride it!, that fixes that problem! If I can ride this lot on a regular basis, surely you can ride yours. Its not that difficult, I'm an average bloke and I'm on one on a daily basis. Anyway, I'm off for a ride.
My take on this is that said individuals are just not that interested in riding any more, simple as that.
When young I rode my bikes all the time in any weather. Now at nearly 52 yrs old since my job changed and I lost my shift hours(tired often now) my semi old man riding has gone down to 1000 miles a year.

There are several factors(excuses if you like) as to why I don't ride much now and I have been asking myself why this is so recently. One; I just don't need it as much, two; it is not as much fun partly because of busy roads and the Police(commuting is not for me), three; tiredness and injuries(limits my riding distance). But there is something else, a little fear has crept in, when younger I had no fear, but now I think it's the Police and loosing my licence.

I see my bike as a beautiful exotic toy and a ride is a nice treat and an escape when I am in the mood. I believe that I will while I can always have a bike. Most importantly I don't see a time coming when I never need to take an exotic Italian beauty for a spin even if it gets rarer, and if I ever get the money together I want a nice light weight naughty 2 stroke.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Your scenario is exactly what I felt about flying. I didn't need it. I love, love flying, but there is so much to know, to fear, to spend and my wife wouldn't go with me.

With the bike, it is scary out there, especially when I ride with my sons in traffic. I've been riding since the age of seven and could never see giving it up, dirt bikes or the MV. My wife understands. She has plenty of shoes.

·
Registered
51 Posts
When I got married (at 18!) my wife forced me to sell my bike. I did. I subscribed to Cycle World as well as Sport Bike magazine and read them regularly. After 10 years, she relented. I didn’t even ask . . . she just told me if I wanted one I should go buy one. I’ve had one ever since, and even yesterday as we were talking about getting a boat, I suggested selling my bike to fund it. She said absolutely not! Shocked me. She said I’ve wanted an MV for so long and now I finally have one. She doesn’t want me to give up on my dream. Said we might even put it in our house one day! What a woman. So thankful I made the 10 year sacrifice so I could enjoy these years now.

And just as an aside, she has 5 brothers who all raced flat track. One of them purchased a street bike and was t-boned by an old guy with an oxygen tank about a week after buying the bike. This was her reasoning at the time for asking me to sell my bike. I guess time healed that wound for her.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I guess everyone's circumstances are different, not every rider is middle aged and divorced or wanting to get divorced.

I completely understand why people sell their bikes because they aren't riding them, even if you own it outright its still expensive (in NSW Australia)

My F3 675 cost:
Insurance $856 P.A
Registration + Green Slip $410 P.A
Basically $110 per month + storage

My situation: I'm 37 years old, work full-time which includes a lot of travel, married (12 years) wife also works full-time, we have 15 month old daughter.

When I am home over a weekend I enjoy spending time with my family I actually still love my wife an enjoy spending time with her, this is not something that can happen if I'm out of my F3,

Basically since April 2018 I've traveled 703 Km that equates to roughly $2.35 per Kilometer + fuel and maintenance!!

I haven't stop riding because I've lost the passion or don't enjoy riding, unfortunately with it being a solo activity I find it hard to partake in such a selfish activity.

Now I am lucky enough to be in a position to be able to park my bike up and my wife doesn't apply any pressure on me to sell it, and believe you me a I won't be selling it.

BUT if there does come a time to sell, it will most likely be because I don't have the time to ride.

·
Registered
405 Posts
interesting topic you need to use these bikes , they are meant to be used, not put in a shed
in the hope they will make money , as i am also getting older with 5 worn discs, sciatica, arthritis , and nerve damage
in right arm, i still go out on mine but sertinley feel it the next day. Riding that bike is a full work out, but i would never get rid , it also looks so good if i had the money i would buy them all up use them and put them on display, many manufactures try to copy but fail there's nothing like an MV Agusta i,m part of my Brutale and its part of me .:smile2:

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
interesting topic you need to use these bikes , they are meant to be used, not put in a shed
. . .
The well-worn cliche of 'they're meant to be used, not put in a shed' raises its head once again.

Why is it that those who choose to effectively preserve their bikes rather than rack up 50,000 miles or kilometres per year are castigated for their actions?

Why are we condemned for choosing to enjoy our motorcycle (whether MV or any other marque) because of the troupe who view an unridden or rarely ridden bike as wasted?

I did only 887 miles on my F4 last year. It presently sits in my lounge room until I will again re-register it for a month or so and have as much enjoyment from the bike in that month as I did in the preceding 11 months. This is nothing about 'making money'; it is treasuring the bike as I wish to use it.

Such statements of telling US what to do with OUR bikes is, in my opinion, both ill-mannered and disrespectful to those with differing ideals within the motorcycle community.

Interestingly, if I proposed the opposite view of: 'These bikes are meant to be stored, not used,' I would be met with a threadful of criticism as I similarly expect from this response. In reality, I would not have the audacity to inflict such a wounding wish upon a fellow member.

Attachments

·
Registered
925 Posts
I am with you Nigel, F4 did 294 miles last year and the Brutale zero, but I have and love them. This year the Brutale will get a few miles but its the pride of ownership that I like the most, the fettling and the riding is a bonus. Could not care for their value as its worth nothing to me as I wont sell them.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
nicely put nigel

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
I think you are right Nigel. Everyone should do as they please. At the moment I have 3 bikes (4th soon to come) and one of them did 700 km oer the last 3 years. And that is only because I rode it today lol

·
Registered
876 Posts
I was thinking of getting the Brutale out this morning for the first time this year. Checked in here for inspiration and this thread pops up. For 33K miles it has always encouraged high risk activities. Persistent aches and pains from old injuries tell me a mistake would be very costly. I guess the fear factor has finally got my attention. I bought a fast car a couple years ago so I still get some thrill with less risk. Still requires the focus of riding but not the escape factor.

·
Registered
7 Posts
1st off that a nice collection.

My Ex use to ride my RZ500 faster through the hill's than I ever did and that bike would get a death rattle tank slapper every 2nd time you came out of a corner and hit the powerband. Shit that thing would tank slap in a straight line just because you looked in the mirror.
my RZ350 was fair bit faster with the pipes and exhaust ports tuned.
Strange but today I was getting a bolt for my 87 FJ1200.
Took a look at the bikes before going to spares and there was RD400 mint condition. Yes I love my two pokes .

·
Registered
69 Posts
It always dismays and disappoints me when some one says, I have to sell my MV, Ducati, ................ bike as I just don't ride it enough. Well, ride it!, that fixes that problem! If I can ride this lot on a regular basis, surely you can ride yours. Its not that difficult, I'm an average bloke and I'm on one on a daily basis. Anyway, I'm off for a ride.
Six pages and not a single comment on the Vincent in the OP’s collection? Do tell us more, kind sir!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Line up

Six pages and not a single comment on the Vincent in the OP’s collection? Do tell us more, kind sir!
Starting from the back is a NorVin that I built and put on the road in 1978. It is the bike that I have done the most miles on in 41 years. Commuting, long distance touring, school drop offs and grocery shopping it has now done 250,000+ miles. Its been to NZ and last year I rode it around the UK for 2 1/2 months and 3000 miles. Next in line is my sons Ducati S4R. I ride that when he is riding his bikes and it needs a turn over. 3rd from the back is a B Series Vincent HRD done in a bobber style. I bought it accident damaged and took off the damaged parts, put on a pair of 2” straight pipes and a single seat and proceeded to ride it. I have done near on 50,000 miles in about eight years on it. Fourth from the back is a 1972 BSA Rocket Three mk2, the most recent buy. Always liked them from my early days of riding but very few Mk2 Home and general export ones are out there and I never had a real drive to get one until this one cropped up on ebay last year. Only done a few thousand miles on it so far. Next along is a Vincent C series Rapide done in a patinered slightly bobber style. I build this for a friend but he hasn’t picked it up for nearly 3 months and said just ride it. So I am. Next to that is my sons 99-00 750 F4 then my 00 750 F4. In front is my 49 Ariel Square 4 with Dusting sidecar. Bought by my dad, my brother and I in 1976. Behind me taking the photo, in the shed, is a Vincent Comet, my first Vincent, another NorVin, this one a racing one running methamol, a 72 Triumph Bonneville, my sons 600 Ducati Monster and his 1980 Yamaha XT 500. Add in a Ducati Cuciollo and my sons 250 KTM, its mayhem.:surprise:

41 - 57 of 57 Posts