MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just changed my oil at 6000km, talk about dirty, not too much metal visible on magnetic plug but very dirty oil.yikes.
Now I'm wondering if dealer did the 1000km oil change, I bought bike as a Demo with 3000kms on it.
I can ask them but they are hardly likely to confirm it if they failed to do it.they usually stuff up their services one way or another.
Anyone else had very dirty oil after their early changes.

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Ever heard of the Maintenance section, come on mate, surely it's not that hard to figure out.
Not trying to be rude mate, just pointing out the obvious. I keep having to move peoples threads to the more or less right sections, and some guys don't seem to understand why it happens, even when I send them PM's to explain.

As for dirty oil, depending on what oil you have in there, running temps and the fact that the bikes still new, all factors in determining how fast oils breaks down.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I never understood why people think they can judge an oil's quality by the colour...just because it's black doesn't mean it's bad, it means it's doing it's job and holding impurities in suspension.

The only way to know if you're oil is bad is by having an oil analysis done. And even if they didn't change it at 1000 kms, I doubt the colour difference between 5000kms and 6000kms would be that substantial.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fair enough Don, I did think about putting the post in maintenance but thought as I wasn't actually asking about how to do or why to do a maintenance issue but rather just making an observation of my oil quality after a relatively short time, I thought maybe best to leave it in general section. I know how and when to change oil, just thought the condition of it was strange and wondered if others might have noticed something similar.
It's good to see the oil is holding the impurities in suspension as it is tasked, but my concern is in how quickly theses impurities were conceived. I know from experience with my 990r that the thicker oil used there stayed much cleaner.
Anyway I'm confident no damage has been done to the engine as the oil did its task and not for an obscene amount of time before changing, as acid and suspended grit will corrode the internals.

·
Registered
639 Posts
For what its worth, almost 4000 km on by B3 and my oil looks pretty clean.
It even looks a bit yellow still...

·
Registered
301 Posts
There's so many variables involved, like Donsy said, that can make one guy's oil still "look" clean and another guy's oil "look" used up. Type of fuel, additives in said fuel, and air quality are some more on top of what Donsy already stated.

But like I said before, just because it's dirty doesn't mean it's no good. Now the opposite could be said for clean looking oil as well, it doesn't necessarily mean it's still good: albeit, there's a much smaller chance of the latter being true.

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Then stick it in the General Talk section mate, the B3's are not the only models using oil :)
Dons - not Don :stickpoke

Fair enough Don, I did think about putting the post in maintenance but thought as I wasn't actually asking about how to do or why to do a maintenance issue but rather just making an observation of my oil quality after a relatively short time, I thought maybe best to leave it in general section. I know how and when to change oil, just thought the condition of it was strange and wondered if others might have noticed something similar.
It's good to see the oil is holding the impurities in suspension as it is tasked, but my concern is in how quickly theses impurities were conceived. I know from experience with my 990r that the thicker oil used there stayed much cleaner.
Anyway I'm confident no damage has been done to the engine as the oil did its task and not for an obscene amount of time before changing, as acid and suspended grit will corrode the internals.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I meant the Brutale B3 Dragster general section, ie this one, not "General Talk"
I'm not concerned with other bikes oil as I've seen how they behave. This was my 1st oil change on a B3 so have no data to compare.
I'd liken this topic to the one on" B3 new map update " topic, this topic is also on observations and experiences of a change in their machine. As opposed to asking about how & when to update which would conceivably be better under "Maintenance"
I could be wrong of course, it does happen occasionally.

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
I meant the Brutale B3 Dragster general section, ie this one, not "General Talk"
I'm not concerned with other bikes oil as I've seen how they behave. This was my 1st oil change on a B3 so have no data to compare.
I'd liken this topic to the one on" B3 new map update " topic, this topic is also on observations and experiences of a change in their machine. As opposed to asking about how & when to update which would conceivably be better under "Maintenance"
I could be wrong of course, it does happen occasionally.
No problem aiki, I see what you where thinking.
But what about other three cylinder bikes (Rivale and F3), mapping aside, surely the oil behaviour would be similar if you then think that the three cylinder bikes are different to the four cylinder bikes.

This is probably why we called it the Maintenance and Technical Issue's section.

·
Administrator
19,523 Posts
You know, some oils are just darker than others right from the container new.
I wouldn't sweat it unless you see rapid deterioration of your fresh oil.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts