MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we have a few members who are pretty familair with them.
I'm looking into getting one myself and would like some advice from those more in the know than I.

I'm not looking for anything fancy really, just enough to get some good shots at trackdays, local and AMA races.

I'm leaning towards a Canon Rebel XT. I havent any clue about lenses either.
What should I get? Again I'm just trying to get closer to the action, not looking for a professional setup.

So if anyone can give me some ideas for a basic, getting started type setup I'd love to hear em. :smoking:

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
If you can strech to the EOS 20 D with a 70/300 lens, that should cover all things that you will ever need....

These were with this setup.. taken down and saved for the web with photoshop elements a program that comes with the camera... you will need a good size hard drive tho as on it's max settings each pic is between 6 and 7 meg :jsm: :jsm: we bought a 300 meg drive when in New York so all is well!!

Attachments

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Ive got a Canon 20D, 70-300 and the thing just doesnt take a bad picture- ( I'm an idiot when it comes to this stuff, so believe me, I have tried)

·
Registered
145 Posts
I would either stick to Nikon or Cannon.
Nikon has the fame of better optics and Cannon more advanced technology.
I've always had Nikon and love them, though I would NEVER recommend any model of the 5 Coolpix that I've owned. SLR's on the other hand, are reliable and great picture takers.
Models that I would recommend certainly include the previously recommended D80, if you want something more affordable, even the D50 is good.
In terms of optics go for the one with the less aperture zoom lens possible, where 2.8 is the best from Nikon 3.5 is ok and 5.6 is a little too much for me.
One thing to remember is that in the Nikon Digital world the focal distance gets multiplied by 1.5x this means that if you buy a 28-70 zoom lens would be a 42-105, while this is a great lens it will leave short of possibilities to shoot large groups or to cover large areas in a short distance. I would go for a 17-85 or near that.
Enjoy your photography, BTW spare some bucks for an a separate flash, while many models have them incorporated, the flash will leave you short of creative ideas possibilities.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good input guys. If anyone has anythig to add, please feel free.

I'm not buying for about month.

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
spalding12 said:
that's what I shoot...
but, not a BEGINNER'S DSLR... as was asked about in the initial post
I think the beauty of the DSLR is that it cost nothing to practice taking pics and therefore we would, and indeed we did, buy the best you can afford.... click away :laughing:

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
"I think the beauty of the DSLR is that it cost nothing to practice taking pics and therefore we would, and indeed we did, buy the best you can afford.... click away "

i bought my wife the Canon 20D she loves it we figured out she has taken an averag of 3 pics a day of our little girl and she is 2 but she hasn't taken 1 of by bike so i'm going to crack the whip on her ass! :laughing:

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
i have a Dig. Rebel. I originally bought it because all my 35mm lenses fit from my other canon slrs. My girlfriend uses it now and she knows nothing about cameras or settings so it really has the ability to run the full spectrum from novice to a more advanced user. Pick something you like in the price range you like and make sure you can take the lenses with you when you want to upgrade. I think the new one is ~800-900 has a 17-55 lens? and takes pics up to 8mp now. Like someone said before get a 70-300 zoom and you will be well on your way. Then look at wide angles, you can do some cool stuff with positions and closeup wide angles of stationary things, ie cars and bikes!
Just start snapping away and posting them for all of us to see!!
Ryan

1 - 15 of 15 Posts