1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
257 Posts
Why would you buy that? It's uglier than the standard dash and it doesn't give an extra function.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
spalding12 said:
http://www.aim-sportline.com/

a big thread is going on another board right. does anyone have one on his/her F4, etc?
I'd love to have that one on a track bike. :smoking:
I almost bought one of those (second hand) for my MV after the crash, but it was too expensive. The seller was a guy in Italy that had it installed on his F4

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
No, but I'd like to have a HUD type set up that mounts on my helmet. I saw it on a program on SpeedVision but I forgot the product's name.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Peet said:
Why would you buy that? It's uglier than the standard dash and it doesn't give an extra function.
oh, how wrong you are.
it has a lot more functions. first off, it has a progressive shift light. you can get oil pressure, water temp, a gear indicator, lap timer (with IR receiver), and if you go for the gyro function, a lap mapping feature.

it's pretty damn cool. thecraw-r1f4 has one on his race bike. neat stuff.

and i think it looks pretty damn cool - very racy. kinda reminds me of the display on Rossi's M1.

however, to swap out the display on the MV, you need to jumper a few connections. the bike will not start without the OEM display unless you modify it.

ale

·
Registered
257 Posts
altoon said:
oh, how wrong you are.
it has a lot more functions. first off, it has a progressive shift light. you can get oil pressure, water temp, a gear indicator, lap timer (with IR receiver), and if you go for the gyro function, a lap mapping feature.

ale
Sounds like a lot of stuff normal riders don't need. Most of us ain't Rossi and probably never will be. We need to concentrate on our riding skills first. Instead of focussing on parameters that have a lesser effect on laptimes than our own ridingskills.

My 2 cents...

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the replies
one thing i miss on my non-bmw bike is a gear indicator
yes.... i have now MEMORIZED rpm values at a given speed for 4th, 5th, and 6th gears....
but, i wish i could see the gear i'm in at an instant when riding the bike hard in some twisties....
i guess most folks who've never had that, don't see the value of it

i miss it, though
that's what made me think of THIS device first

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Greg,

We want you to get this and install it on your brute. It is just what you want/need.
http://www.gear-indicator.com/

Then you can post an answer instead of a question!!!

It is your duty as the head poster on MVAgusta.net. :drummer:

Also, list what mods YOU have done to YOUR bike so far. :stickpoke :stickpoke :)

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
airfuel said:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
spalding12 said:
thanks for the replies
one thing i miss on my non-bmw bike is a gear indicator
yes.... i have now MEMORIZED rpm values at a given speed for 4th, 5th, and 6th gears....
but, i wish i could see the gear i'm in at an instant when riding the bike hard in some twisties....
i guess most folks who've never had that, don't see the value of it

i miss it, though
that's what made me think of THIS device first
Greg,

If you have time to keep an eye on your gear indicator, you're not riding hard enough in the canyon there, Buddy. :nutkick: FWIW, you aren't riding a BMW.

Joking aside, with a bit of practice and attention, you can shift by the sound of engine rev and your perception of speed. :) It's a bit different mindset than cruising on the freeway. If you think you in too high of a gear downshift, if too low upshift, you don't need to take your eyes off the road to confirm that you're in the wrong gear in or out of the corner.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
ARCHILLE said:
Joking aside, with a bit of practice and attention, you can shift by the sound of engine rev and your perception of speed. :) It's a bit different mindset than cruising on the freeway. If you think you in too high of a gear downshift, if too low upshift, you don't need to take your eyes off the road to confirm that you're in the wrong gear in or out of the corner.
No shit??? ;)
You're using one of those new high spec sound gear indicators, aren't ya? :toothless

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I got mine at (helmet harber) sometime i`m just not sure if i`m in 5th or 6th

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
altoon said:
oh, how wrong you are.

it's pretty damn cool. thecraw-r1f4 has one on his race bike. neat stuff.

and i think it looks pretty damn cool - very racy. kinda reminds me of the display on Rossi's M1.

however, to swap out the display on the MV, you need to jumper a few connections. the bike will not start without the OEM display unless you modify it.

ale
A couple of things to remember here, the gear indicator will be a nightmare to get working as they tend to work off the end of the selector drum,
One of the first things Rossi did with the M1 dash was to get them to take off all the stuff he wasn't interested in, personally I NEVER use the shift light, things happen too quick to look down at the dash and after a couple of days with the bike you just Know when to change, and why you would want a data logger on a road bike is beyond me, very usefull at the track yes, but you also need to be able to understand and read the info it's telling you

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ARCHILLE said:
Greg,

If you have time to keep an eye on your gear indicator, you're not riding hard enough in the canyon there, Buddy. :nutkick: FWIW, you aren't riding a BMW.

i appreciate your post
for the record.... after 160,000 plus mile ridden in the past 15 years....
i'm very good at shifting that way
i knew i'd draw the ire of the folks here by mentioning this
and, i suppose that i deserve it

i know that you were kidding
but, one last point...
100% of racing bikes (and racing cars) have digital gear indicators....
so, racing folks realized the need for them a long long time again
MVs OUGHT to come with them
FUC_ "shifting lights"
give us indicators..... just like every racing motorcycle in the past 20 years
how much would it have cost?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
airfuel said:
Greg,

We want you to get this and install it on your brute. It is just what you want/need.
http://www.gear-indicator.com/

Also, list what mods YOU have done to YOUR bike so far. :stickpoke :stickpoke :)

you are correct, of course
..... please see my post above about the need for a digital gear indicator

as for what I'VE done to MY bike so far:
......... you got me on that one
i have ordered the matris M4R
i await my PROMISED exhaust (let the laughter subside, please)
at THAT time, i'll decide about the full Ti system
i have ordered the Sato rearsets
i will be doing some modification to make the seat more comfortable
(i have YET to hear from Corbin or Sargent about what they can offer the forum members who might be interested in saving their asses :) )
i might do the airbox modification this weekend
carbon bits have NEVER interested me... spending money to make the bike LOOK different isn't my style (though i can fully appreciate why folks do it)

i wil be mounting my GPS 376C as soon as i can decide about the method

i've had the bike for 11 days... i have 600 miles on it and i've worked all but 2 days since i took it home.

i appreciate all the great advice i've gotten here

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Peet said:
Sounds like a lot of stuff normal riders don't need. Most of us ain't Rossi and probably never will be. We need to concentrate on our riding skills first. Instead of focussing on parameters that have a lesser effect on laptimes than our own ridingskills.

My 2 cents...
point well taken
i'm a sucker for electronic gadgets... always have been
i guess that's where my interest arose for THIS item

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
mikef4uk said:
why you would want a data logger on a road bike is beyond me, very usefull at the track
agreed.

i wasn't really trying to argue the merits of this dash system for road use. the data acquision stuff only makes sense for the track, where you are looking for trends as you go through the same corner 100X.

on the track, i use the shift light only on the front straight. and i don't stare at it. i can see it out of my peripheral vision.

but for a gadget guy, this thing is a cool item to have!

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
altoon said:
agreed.

i wasn't really trying to argue the merits of this dash system for road use. the data acquision stuff only makes sense for the track, where you are looking for trends as you go through the same corner 100X.

on the track, i use the shift light only on the front straight. and i don't stare at it. i can see it out of my peripheral vision.

but for a gadget guy, this thing is a cool item to have!
thanks for posting
yeah, THIS item is WAY OVERKILL for the street
but... it sure is cool..... which sounds great coming from the 43 year old with the big smile on his face

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
mikef4uk said:
A couple of things to remember here, the gear indicator will be a nightmare to get working as they tend to work off the end of the selector drum
i don't think the AIM has a shift drum sensor. at least i haven't seen it listed in their I/O specs. i believe that gear is calculated from speed/rpm.

however, there is a CAN bus interface, so if the ECU knows what gear the bike is in, no reason that can't be transmitted to the AIM display.

does the ECU know what gear the bike is in?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts