MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a search on here and couldn't come up with anything. Was wondering if anybody has some knowledge or access to it about different valve springs for the f4?

What i'm trying to figure out is i have some springs that have pink paint on them, while others have pink and white. Would like to figure this one out and possibly find a place that can specify all the different spring and valve options for the F4 from at least 05 to present.
Didn't know if the coloring system was something like the Jap. manufacturers use. Different colors for different spring weights and length/height.

·
Registered
14,572 Posts
boingers?

varium;
what are you trying to accomplish?
changing valve springs can be a giant can of worms.......just ride your bike:blah:

:f4::brutale:

·
Registered
14,572 Posts
Wtf?

you're more than welcome........

do you have an iota of a clue about how you pick a valve spring??????

just leave the stock ones in there.......save yourself a lot of grief

·
Registered
968 Posts
Noel I think varium is saying that some of the springs in his bike now are marked with paint that is different to other springs in the same engine.

Ergo, is it possible that the springs are of different specification to one another?

Rather than varium wanting to change the OEM spec.

varium, I'm not aware of different spring options in MV engines. I think that you're safe with the springs you are running now, the different paint probably has a story behind it but doesn't necessarily point the finger at differences in the springs themselves.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
you're more than welcome........

do you have an iota of a clue about how you pick a valve spring??????

just leave the stock ones in there.......save yourself a lot of grief

It's easy..White = F4 springs
Pink = Brutale springs

If it don't Boing.. Boing...I ain't goin'

joe

·
Registered
14,572 Posts
springs?

varium;

since you didn't like my previous answer.........

ask Tim Witham of S&W
ask Ed the Camfather

or have an in at Associated Spring

i used to sell valve springs to all the bike suppliers except for Pops.....he couldn't believe Tim was bending him over that bad LOLOL

1st you need a spring testing machine
2nd you need a chopped up head and a stroboscope
then you need a spring engineer to tell you what you need to avoid harmonic disasters

Tambos use different springs than contemporary models.....
MV's manuals only spec spring lengths......

have fun:naughty:

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Was reading that Del West valving components were used for the update on the 312 motor. Could the valve springs be the difference between a 1000cc motor and a 1080cc motor?

·
Registered
5,076 Posts
The different colors are from testing the tension at a set length on a valve spring tester to get them all the same and balanced. Whites are one figure, purples another and so on. Don't know if the in/ex are different tensions but would assume they should all be the same for one or the other.

Has to do with avoiding valve float vs overcoming the tension as the valve opens (takes more power to open a stiffer spring), so it's important that the correct color be installed for maximum power etc.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's the problem. Nobody knows what any color represents. Thought it would have been general racers knowledge, or at least something simple to find out. Apparently MV themselves have no idea.....which i find extremely odd.
I know italian manufacturers like to mish-mash parts but surely they wouldn't just drop in any old springs. Nor can i find a parts list like Jap. man. have, or even their racing dept....I.E. HRC, Yosh, etc.

·
Registered
14,572 Posts
springs?

varium;
why would any spring manufacturer publish a spring color code??:wtf:

ever heard of business trade secrets????

Pops Yoshimura used to buy his Kawasaki KZ 1000 valve springs from S & W for $21.95 a set

Ken Tipton of MTC bought the same springs from Engle Cams for $16.00 a set

if you bought the same spring from me they were $10.00 for a 4 cylinder set.....if you bought 100 sets at a time, $12.00 a set if you bought 50 sets

the springs were the identical part number from Associated Spring.....

and guess what?..... the color codes changed :naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty:for the same spring:naughty::naughty::naughty:

and at $10 we were making a killing

but i had an in, the wrench who built a Lotus that was waaay faster than Jim Clark's Factory one, for Dan Gurney at the Riverside GP '59

it was Joe Miller, one of my best friends, the guy, that put Bobby Unser in sports cars

because of Joe, I can go to lunch, with the wizards, all of the old SoCal racing legends......

they call me 'the kid' LOLOL

the director of marketing for FerarriUSA, Michael asked me to introduce him to the lunch group.......nope, they are my friends.......meet them yourself:naughty::naughty:
he used to work for FMF, when i was doing prototype stuff with Donny

leave the springs alone

the intake ones are probably different than the exhausts.....and they probably didn't shim them either:naughty::naughty:

·
Registered
530 Posts
i think he is just asking if there is a definitive reason why they are different colors.
If they are all rated the same, why are they not the same color.
When i service anything of mine, i would never put mis-match items in there and sure as heck would question the 'odd' one out.
Why doesnt anyone (dealers) know why the color is differnt??
heck, maybe they are different ratings.
time to bust ou the ol' tension gauge :)

·
Registered
14,572 Posts
colored stripes?

holy shit, you guys are slow.......
TreeMV #2......last post, last line figured it out:wtf:

you order springs by a part number, not a stupid color stripe......stick them in a spring tester.......

search Dan Kyle's post on Ohlins springs.......on Ohlins springs, what matters is the last letters and numbers.....the PRODUCTION DATE because their QC sucks hind tit:jerkoff:

anybody measure and shim their valve springs??

i doubt it.......at 13,000 rpm its important.......

my buddy Jumbo's 242cuin push rod V-6 Camero comes off the line at 13,000 rpm.......think he checks that stuff????:naughty::naughty::naughty:

YES.......

i like the pink.......but i'm not talking motorcycles:mouthwate::naughty::naughty:

·
Registered
14 Posts
While from the racing world I can tell you the colors would usually mean batch or groups since they could not engrave without creating a stress riser / fatigue point. Back in the day we could actually guess +/- 5lbs the seat pressure by the color wear on the spring. I gott tell you though, you need alot and I mean alot of dyno and track time to get that good. For a while we were. Then we started to use inverted flank lobes on the cams and reduce the polar moment of inertia on the valve side and that art went out the window. Did I lose anyone? Noel-theknurl, I figured I would throw a match on this one!

"Noel-theknurl" we need to meet sometime. You Rock.

·
Registered
459 Posts
From the reading the manual world I remember one function of the coloured marks is a " This Way Up " sign.

Maybe they just ran out of pink paint , I would guess with the introduction of either larger or lighter valves that would bring a change in springs and you could confirm that by cross checking part #'s against the models with changes .

A 910r has pink ones.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts