MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at getting an 2010 F4 and was wondering what the differences are between the 09 and lower and 10 and over. does it still have a failing rear hub? well nuts no longer a issue? are there new problems with the new models? just trying to make a determination to go new school or old school. Thanks guys

·
Vendor
5,408 Posts
I can only comment on the hub.The upgraded hub on Y10 models are OK so far.

·
Banned
1,512 Posts
Looking at getting an 2010 F4 and was wondering what the differences are between the 09 and lower and 10 and over. does it still have a failing rear hub? well nuts no longer a issue? are there new problems with the new models? just trying to make a determination to go new school or old school. Thanks guys
The biggest difference is quality. There's an inverse relationship with quality and technology as you move up in the years. More technology but more cost cutting measures.

The biggest issue for me on the newer bikes (2010+) is the fuel tank that swells when you use E10 fuel which is the only kind of fuel you can get in most populated cities in the USA. So far MV has no solution to this problem and some have mentioned that coating the tank will void warranty coverage. Hopefully MV will come up with a cure soon. Problematic hubs are nothing in comparison to the fuel tank issues.

On the older bikes Mitchy has come up with a simply awesome replacement hub and none of them have ever failed. He's even super good about supporting people who buy his hubs used.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Mitchy. No problem.

Your hubs rock. The fact your a super nice guy is just icing on the cake. :)
+1 I have Mitch's hub No 61 on my 2007 F4R and it's provided endless relief from the worry about the stock hub (which is still OK, fortunately). An easy and worthwhile upgrade to the pre 2010 models.

Personally, I prefer the earlier styling, especially in the classic red/silver colors. Seems more raw and wild than the newer models, even if they are technically more advanced.

Eric

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Agreed. I prefer the pre 2010 models. 2010 and newer look more jap. If I were to use 93 octane with zero ethanol would it still cause issues? Guessing no

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Banned
1,512 Posts
Agreed. I prefer the pre 2010 models. 2010 and newer look more jap. If I were to use 93 octane with zero ethanol would it still cause issues? Guessing no

It's the ethanol that causes the issues with the tank. So using a non ethanol fuel would be optimal. The problem is finding it. The EPA has pretty much made ethanol fuel impossible to find in any large metro area. Here in Atlanta you either have to go way north of the city or way south to find it. Additionally the additives don't help much. With the rumblings of E15 coming into the market this is quite an interesting time for sure.

If you prefer the pre 2010 model bikes you can save a ton of money and buy used. The earlier models also come with a metal gas tank that is not affected by the ethanol fuel. Many people here mention that early 750's are going for the 6 to 7K range (I have yet to find one that cheap myself). A more recent 1000cc version could be had for around 10-12K. Other than the rear hub and fuel fittings these bikes are quite reliable and are built to last. Quite honestly my 2002 750 has given me less problems than my Japanese sport bikes of the same vintage. The important thing to keep in mind when buying used is the bike's history. Spend the extra money for one that's been loved and it will pay dividends in the future.

I wish you the very best of luck with whatever F4 you end up with!

·
Banned
1,512 Posts
Don't jap bikes have plastic tanks too but don't have this issue? What's causing the swelling? Is the swelling guaranteed?

Indeed. Many other bikes affected. More info here.

http://deformedfueltanks.com/

The swelling is caused by the ethanol attacking the plastic in the tank. Your results may vary but many people have had issues. The F4's tank shape and the way it fits closely with the air box makes it VERY noticeable when it happens.

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
im also interested on a 2010 model, do they have the same over heat issues like the previous models tanks

No they don't. And the pre 2010 bikes don't overheat on the track either mate.

·
Registered
465 Posts
There any pics on here of that?

I have a Brutale with the swollen tank syndrome . Different tank shape than the F4, but made out of the same composite. This pic was taken the day I took delivery.

Attachments

·
Registered
465 Posts
is it that big crack?!

Yes and no. It's only cracked in the paint or maybe it's a decal. I can't tell right now . The crack doesn't go all the way through . Also, the pic makes it look worse than what it is in person. But the crack is still there and it's still a brand new bike. My dealer will replace this tank under warranty when MV or Acerbis (whom makes the plastic tanks for MV) come up with a new composite. I been waiting for a while now for this to be fixed, but the bike is rideable . Its hard to believe that they don't "know how" to come up with a new composite at this point, especially with so many other manufacturers out there without a problem. Probably a cost issue more than anything .

1 - 19 of 19 Posts