MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I've been trying to justify buying an old 2006 Ago comparing it to a later model f4 1000, or the like, 312 looks great,
Now I have seen some later 2016 or so for around the same money, and not sure if I could have grabbed a later model for the same $$$ and pursue that avenue or not,
The first time I saw my mates bike the ago, I lusted over it, sexiest thang I nearly did saw, but then it got me too thinking, did I plunge too much $$ on a bike that was 10 plus tears older,
Compared to a later model,
I am trying to understand that if the parts and build quality was better in the older models then I'm okay with it,
Just seems for a 52 grand bike as it was in aus $$ back then compared to a 16/18 grand $$ later model then did the quality and reliability suffer later on, cheaper made, etc
To sum it up, she is so pretty to look at and can;t wait to get her on the rear wheel,
Also weird how an old vw was a few hundred moons ago now worth big $$ along with cheap heaps of rusty buckets and exotical bike prices have plummeted, I don't know how that works,
If we hang onto them long enough then our great grand kids will at least get us into a nursing home with a go cart track to buzz around on, happy daze amigos, :p

·
Registered
460 Posts
I did not know the gen2 quality was worse, it was made maybe with easier production on mind. Ride quality and engine mapping is way ahead on the gen2.

I would change my gen1 for gen2 on a heartbeat...

·
Registered
177 Posts
If your only gonna ride it on a track, then Gen2 seems better. If your only a street rider, then why ride a fast bike slow...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,813 Posts
I prefer the gen 1 bikes. I am not one who cares for all the electronics. I feel more connected on the original ones vs second gen. First gen is easier to work on. First gen does have its issues and parts are getting harder to find.

·
Vendor
5,443 Posts
Well who needs EBS,what happened to engine braking?Traction control,right hand takes care of that.
ABS brakes,right hand and foot takes care of that.
List goes on,electronics are just going too far,but sign of the times I guess.:)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well who needs EBS,what happened to engine braking?Traction control,right hand takes care of that.
List goes on,electronics are just going too far,but sign of the times I guess.:)
Foot brake if work's

Enviado do meu VOG-L29 através do Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did not know the gen2 quality was worse, it was made maybe with easier production on mind. Ride quality and engine mapping is way ahead on the gen2.
I would change my gen1 for gen2 on a heartbeat...
Just wondering if in the later models if they used lighter cranks causing pitting or cam chains tensioners, rods bearings etc made not of the same quality, I understand some gen 1's of all models are the biggest risk till all the bugs are sorted, but they had a few years up their sleeve to get it right till the 04/06 came out, ride quality to me is all in the mind, you should be able to dial it in if the sag is in tolerance, etc mapping,

If your only gonna ride it on a track, then Gen2 seems better. If your only a street rider, then why ride a fast bike slow...?
Sent from my iPhone using Ta
Hi BB, suppose gen 2 is better, I will not know till I ride one if I get the chance, when did the gen 2 come out, i'm a bit nieve in that score,

I prefer the gen 1 bikes. I am not one who cares for all the electronics. I feel more connected on the original ones vs second gen. First gen is easier to work on. First gen does have its issues and parts are getting harder to find.
Cool Andy I like your sentiments that there easier to work on, I don't have a comparison to a g2, parts can always be a worry but with the great minds around here we should be good for the future especially in carbon fibre panels at least and cosmetical stuff,

Gen 1 for me,less electronics the better in my opinion.
Easy to work on and problem solve,rhey still have the looks also.Just my opinion.
Coming over for a valve adjustment in 10,9,6,2, :p

Why not both 😄
Hey I can dig it, hang on, both what ? an oldy and a newie, I'm not one to upset the apple cart, but I could go you halves,:)

Right on sir mitchy, never ridden a bike with abs or 'anti wheelie,' that's a swear word in my vocabulary, sure they would be good for the new folks to riding, but these quick shifties and anti gizmoez are like anti fun, long live the smelling of a set of burnt out clutch plates and brake pads whilst mucking about,

I may have stuffed a few lines, just learning how to multiple reply, so bear with me, or if your so inclined bare it to your sexy neighbour if you cant find one go to the next street, 😜

1 - 9 of 9 Posts