MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am new here.Hello to all of you.
I am considfering buying an 07 F4 1000R. In doing my research I see that there is a second generation F4.
What are the differences between the two?
Thank you in advance to all of you MV experts out there.

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Some might argue but there is almost nothing similar/common between the pre 2010 bikes and the post 2010 or Y10+ F4's. At least on a technical scale.
Try reading through this to familiarise yourself - http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/bikes/mv agusta.htm

·
Administrator
19,486 Posts
You could also argue the are 2 generations of the pre 2010 F4s......the 16M ECU model and the 5SM ECU model. Mechanically mostly the same but EFI systems miles apart.

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
First gen F4's are way cooler......and they look better too. This coming from a Brutale guy.

·
Registered
329 Posts
You cant go wrong with either one I bought my first mv 6 months ago and it was a 2007 1000r I love it to death the next one will definitely be a newer f4 so my best advice is if you can get both to have the total experience

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I read several comments about runnig hot and overheating. Is this something the second gen addressed?
Now I am looking not only at an 07 I found a 2012.

·
Registered
517 Posts
First gen F4's are way cooler......and they look better too. This coming from a Brutale guy.
Agreed. First gens are definitely prettier. This is not coming from a Brutale guy. :stickpoke

·
Registered
14,404 Posts
A Muzzy aftermarket fan will fix that problem on the pre-2010 F4s.
Mike;

no, that keeps the fan blades from melting

to keep 1st gen F4s from over heating

>the fans need to come on sooner

>and the ignition map needs fixing

for 1.6M ECU bikes there is free software to do this available from merc07 Adam

http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=37545

for 5SM ECU bikes you need a tuner that can reflash your ECU

I replaced my 5SM with a MicroTec problem solved

:drummer:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for all the feedback. Very helpful! I am now leaning towards the 2012 F4R tomorrow. Although the earlier version is much better looking.
Myke

·
Registered
5,040 Posts
Randy, we'll just have to agree to be in agreement on this. :jsm:

·
Registered
196 Posts
The '10 onwards were a bit average. Not as well made, cost savings, made under Harley iirc, I remember sitting on one pre-release, and thinking the exhaust looked rubbish and the welds on the seat unit also, then there were stories of welds cracking soon after release.

I also don't like bikes with stupid switches to alter the mapping. You don't get a mono option from 2010.

The nicest looking one since they made the new ones is the Corsacorta but still not as fascinating as the original R312 imo.

The pre '10 is set to be a future classic. Of course those with the later bike will say it's the best one ha.

·
Premium Member
2,748 Posts
I second the lower quality comment on +10 bikes. To further, I have a feeling the 09 and 08 used inferior metals compared to pre 07 F4's. Header/collector/pipes, fairing fasteners, nuts/bolts, springs, and other metal parts still look great on my 05 1000S; not so much on my 08 312R. The sidestand parts on my 08 were of a rainbowy, yellow tinged metal that was more malleable than my 05 sidestand, which is still a solid silver color.

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Randy, we'll just have to agree to be in agreement on this. :jsm:
You, my friend, are finally seeing the light.......:)

·
Registered
9,953 Posts
I second the lower quality comment on +10 bikes. To further, I have a feeling the 09 and 08 used inferior metals compared to pre 07 F4's. Header/collector/pipes, fairing fasteners, nuts/bolts, springs, and other metal parts still look great on my 05 1000S; not so much on my 08 312R. The sidestand parts on my 08 were of a rainbowy, yellow tinged metal that was more malleable than my 05 sidestand, which is still a solid silver color.[/QUOTE

I wouldnt trade my 09 312R for a MY10 F4.

I fitted an MY10 cooling system to my 2007 F4 1000R. I also upgraded the hub to a Mitchy Hub. In doing that I adresses the cooling issues of the earler bikes and the tendency of the hub to scatter ball bearings over the road at a moments notice.A great bike good coolig system and a bullet proof hub.

The difference in power between the two eras is not a part of the envelope that Ill ever be able to explore.

For me the build quality of the later bikes is not as good. The MY 10 wheels I have seen are made in China amd significantly heavier than the beautiful Ultralights on 09 and previous.
The welds on the frame are now machine welded and dont look anything like as crafted as the tig welded 09 and previous frame.
Buy the 07 and spend your money on sensible upgrades.Then a bit of carbon bling if thats your thing : )

Joe

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I appreciate the feedback. Thank you all.
I decided on the 2012.(Already have over 400 miles on it)
I selected the second generation because reading the motorcycle specifications it seems to me the newer one have a much more developed motor with newer design features and more HP.

While I completely agree that the first generation is more attractive the engineering that went into the newer one won out.

Again thanks so much for the feedback.

·
Premium Member
2,748 Posts
Congrats, now post some pics. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Maybe next week end I will be able to take some pics. It is comming with the silver forged wheels which I don't have yet. So it is sporting the black wheels.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts