MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im shopping for a helmet and noticed the huge swing in prices, from $80-$800+up. Now other than graphics and names, why would someone pay so much more for a top of the line compared to a cheapo?

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
How much is your head worth?

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
Most helmets provide the same level of safety.

What you get for more money is less weight, better comfort and improved ventilation, as well as visual clarity and component quality.

·
Banned
2,732 Posts
Most helmets provide the same level of safety.

What you get for more money is less weight, better comfort and improved ventilation, as well as visual clarity and component quality.
+1

modern technology & safety standards make almost all helmets a safe buy today

Just ensure it fits you properly including chin strap

even a £25 centurian helmet saved my life 28 years ago, come to think of it they say ive never been right since:naughty:

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
All helmets meet minimum required safety standards. What you get for your extra money is comfort and reduced noise.

The most important thing about a helmet is fit. Many people buy a helmet that is too big for their head. A helmet should fit snugly. If it doesn't, the helmet's ability to protect your head in the event of a crash is significantly reduced. That's true whether you're wearing a $150.00 dollar helmet or an $800.00 dollar helmet.

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
Since I have very few brain cells, I need to protect them as well as I can. I am going to disagree with my buds here and say there is a difference in quality. If I can find it, I will post a link to a fairly exhaustive test of dozens of helmets. All met the minimum safety standard, but there was a wide fluctuation in levels of protection.

Surprisingly, the most expensive helmet did not offer the best protection.

·
Super Moderator
7,346 Posts
My suspicion is that a significant of the cost of AGV, Arai & Shoei helmets goes towards paying Haga & Rossi (and who ever uses Shoei these days) to wear these helmets so we will buy them.
I choose to use Arai. I import them from the USA and save hunderds of dollars. The RX7 is worth around $1,300 NZD!

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Pro Italia had a motorcycle acccident seminar last year with an ER doctor and a neurosurgeon as speakers. I vaguely remember the neurosurgeon telling us that the challenge of helmet manufacturers is develo a helmet for both high speed impacts (high force and dense foam) vs. lower speeds (lower force and less dense foam).

Fortunatley, those videos are on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYHvn9l2lZg

·
Registered
9 Posts
So im shopping for a helmet and noticed the huge swing in prices, from $80-$800+up. Now other than graphics and names, why would someone pay so much more for a top of the line compared to a cheapo?
Put one of these on and you'll have the answer to your question. :king:

Attachments

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
+1

modern technology & safety standards make almost all helmets a safe buy today

Just ensure it fits you properly including chin strap

even a £25 centurian helmet saved my life 28 years ago, come to think of it they say ive never been right since:naughty:

OMG REALLY??? I bought one of those many many years ago for my then girlfriend, now wife to wear. I'd spent all my money on bike and accessories and had nothing left over so I got one back then for $30-$40 for her wear. She asked if it was safe & said "yes" in truth, I've always felt guilty as hell (to this day) about putting her head in that.

Your post kind of gives me a little closure on that particular chapter. Happily we never put that helmet to the test..I threw it out some 3-4 months back during a clear out --the inner had disintergrated to dust & it hadn't been worn (or even seen for that matter) in 20 years...Blue with white beading.

OMG- what are the chances!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Found this a little while back when I was shopping for a new helmet...

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/index.html

It's a very long read, but well worth the time...

It had many intriguing parts such as...

"But I'm a racer," we hear you rationalizing. "I go really fast. I go so fast, in fact, that I need a very special, high-energy helmet to protect my wonderful manliness and fastness." Not so, Rossi-breath.

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

In all seriousness, worth the read...IMO...(I know, I'm being redundant)

Al

:f4:

·
Registered
6,025 Posts
Put one of these on and you'll have the answer to your question. :king:

If you hit a brick wall or a car at any more than 30mph head first it'll make no difference whatsoever, as yer head might be fine but you'll sure have a stylish broken neck.

:lightning

1 - 20 of 68 Posts