MV Agusta Forum banner

Differences between 05 and 06 S?

4K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  devilboy 
#1 ·
I'm considering swapping my 999S for an F4 and spotted a new 05S for sale, what, if any, are the differences between 05 and 06 please? tia

#2 ·
First, welcome to the forum. :highclap:

I don't know of any differences and if there are they would be insignificant.

Keep in mind that they kept all there significant changes for the F41000R model which is its replacement.

Hopefully others here can confirm this as well. Good luck with your decision, I am sure you won't be dissapointed.

#4 ·
Gizmo said:
I'm considering swapping my 999S for an F4 and spotted a new 05S for sale, what, if any, are the differences between 05 and 06 please? tia
As far as I know, there aren't any differences between the 2005 (first year of the 1000cc) and the 2006 (last year of the 1000S model). Generally, dealers have been willing to give better discounts 2005 models.

#5 ·
MV-999R said:
Welcome. :)

If i were you i would spend a bit more $$ and would get an F41000R :stickpoke :D
i tend to buy my bikes on close out, its lots cheaper and for the sake of a set of brakes/forks and other minor mods that i won't notice i'm happy to go with an S for the difference :) plus i can't afford , sorry, won't spend, the money being asked for the R, i can have the S and another nice classic to work on :)

#6 ·
Allan Gibbs said:
As far as I know, there aren't any differences between the 2005 (first year of the 1000cc) and the 2006 (last year of the 1000S model). Generally, dealers have been willing to give better discounts 2005 models.
thats what i'm finding and its what is tempting me to swap. if the 05 and 06 are the same the bike i've found is attractive :)

#8 ·
Hi Gizmo, as you know, there are some great deals to be had on 1000S F4's in the UK, I don't know of any significant changes between an 05 and an 06 model. Are you flogging the Duke and coming over to the dark side?? :stickpoke

#9 ·
john said:
Hi Gizmo, as you know, there are some great deals to be had on 1000S F4's in the UK, I don't know of any significant changes between an 05 and an 06 model. Are you flogging the Duke and coming over to the dark side?? :stickpoke
possibly selling the 999S but I've also got a multistrada, I need to keep one Ducati cos i run a northern Ducati owners forum :) I've also got a Laverda Montjuic Mk1 but there's no way i'd trade that even for an MV :)

i'm going to have to try an F4 first, never rode one and it'll be interesting to see how it compares to the 999

#10 ·
#11 ·
There are some small differences that make little difference.

The swing-arm on the 2006 is pre-drilled for a hugger whereas the 2005 is not and needs to be drilled if you want to install one. No biggie there.

There is a blank switch cover on the US models. This is where the Euro spec bikes have a high and low beam switch that can be adjusted. The 2005 was blank and the 2006 says CRC on it. Note that some 2005 models did have the CRC logo'ed one as well in later runs.

The tires on the 2006 are Pirelli's and the 2005 uses Michelin Pilot Powers.

#12 ·
awiner said:

The swing-arm on the 2006 is pre-drilled for a hugger whereas the 2005 is not and needs to be drilled if you want to install one. No biggie there.

There is a blank switch cover on the US models. This is where the Euro spec bikes have a high and low beam switch that can be adjusted. The 2005 was blank and the 2006 says CRC on it. Note that some 2005 models did have the CRC logo'ed one as well in later runs.

Wow, now that's specific. Note hat you can install an "old-style" aftermarket hugger w/o drilling.

#15 ·
hahah!
damn, adam! i remember when you went through those with me. that is some CRAZY specific knowledge.

alex

PS - i also have an 05 S, and it is not drilled. they must have added the drill holes somewhere mid-production...

awiner said:

#16 ·
Gizmo said:
possibly selling the 999S but I've also got a multistrada, I need to keep one Ducati cos i run a northern Ducati owners forum :) I've also got a Laverda Montjuic Mk1 but there's no way i'd trade that even for an MV :)

i'm going to have to try an F4 first, never rode one and it'll be interesting to see how it compares to the 999

Any pics of the Laverda? ;)

#17 ·
You have a Montjuic?!! the bike I dream of finding - I was in west London out by the airport once in 1980ish and there was a Laverda Monjuic for sale for $800 with 1500 miles on it I was so close to buying it - couldn't keep my eyes off of it - the bike that got away.....

#19 ·
emmvee said:
Any pics of the Laverda? ;)
i bought it from a close friend late summer, photos below are from the day i collected it, it hasn't run since 1993 and was stored in a barn. its now in a lot of pieces being restored :) i'm hoping to have it on the road (track) for the VMCC festival, we're trying to get an original grid of 30 monty's together :eek:

#20 ·
quacker998 said:
You have a Montjuic?!! the bike I dream of finding - I was in west London out by the airport once in 1980ish and there was a Laverda Monjuic for sale for $800 with 1500 miles on it I was so close to buying it - couldn't keep my eyes off of it - the bike that got away.....
$800 eek, in 1980 they were £2100 new, you could buy 2 CX500's for the same price :) now its a bit different, the last one to sell on ebay went for over £3500 and needed a head/valve rebuild, the one before that wasn't original, had formula seat unit , no fairing incorrect forks and still made £3500. Mk2's even though rarer don't command the same prices.

did you hear it run? 105dB race megaphones as standard!

#21 ·
MV05 EXY said:
FYI they did sell the matt black in the UK. Thats the one that I went with, thought it made a change to the red/silver.
mmm, must keep an eye out for that.

the new 05 i was looking at has now sold :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.