MV Agusta Forum banner

Difference between UK and EU headlights

12K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  mvagustaGuest1 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

I am trying to get a new UK headlight for my F4 2010 that I crashed a few weeks ago. I understand the UK version is on back order but was thinking that maybe I could buy a EU version, and then turn it into a UK one. Would anybody knows what is the difference between a UK and a EU headlight and whether turning one into the other is complex and/or costly?

Thanks in advance for your help.

G.

#2 ·
One aims right, the other left.....there was a thread somewhere about moving the reflector inside to change for one to the other....try a search.

Why can't you Limeys and your colonies learn to drive on the RIGHT side of the road like the rest of us??

I know, I know ....so your sword hand is toward the oncoming opponent . Remnants of the days of yore when knights were bold and ladies fair.

#3 ·
Hey esq'z me, I which the british would drive on the normal side of the road... I am french and accepting this rule was the only way for me to survive the invasion I made in this country 9 years ago. Trust me, I still struggle to drive the UK side and occasionally try to make them changes... We'll succeed one day... ;o) Thanks for the tip, will try and have a look.

Frenchie.

#4 ·
Hey, looked at the difference between the old F4 and mine and looks like buying a UK "Lens Assy Lower Beam Polyellipsoidal" was possible on the old bike for EUR166, but on the new F4, looks like the entire headlamp comes assembled and one cannot buy independent parts of it... hence my question, in the original lamp for the 2010 model, can we do anything to convert a EU one into UK one.

Thanks in advance if any other people have any idea.

#6 ·
Ducati888;
he is looking for a '10, different animal

gvanrenterghem;
take your broken one apart......you may be able to reverse the blockoff or cut the RH drive and epoxy in one for LH drive.....

its just a blockoff shield:)

#7 ·
Hi, thanks guy. Indeed I have a 2010 model and the headlight is very different. Easy and cheap to convert UK to EU on the 2009 version but apparently one needs to change everything on the 2010 version... :-(

Apparently I understand that my bike would still be road legal with a EU headlight as long as I stick a black tape on the headlight to make the low beam completely flat rather than go up. Since I barely drive in the UK outside central London and do all my biking in Europe, I guess it won't make much difference, and would increase the resale value of the bike as would multiply my potential acquirer by roughly 8x... ;o)

Will try and look at the broken one to see whether there is a part that blocks the beam on the UK one so that I can change it to the EU one I could order now... Thanks for the suggestion.

#8 ·
Frenchie,
Your best bet is to try and flatten the beam, I know if you get an EU beam it will fail a UK MOT unless you know a relaxed MOT tester.
If you can find which part is deflecting it take that out and your problem should be solved.

#9 ·
We have enough crap drivers in the UK as it is without shuffling our laws to match the EU.
Just today I was behind an old gentlemen paying for his fuel, the assistant asked what pump he fuelled from, to which he gave a blank look, his blank look remained when she asked him how much fuel he put in to finally what car do you drive. He had no clue!
How about the old driver of an automatic car that drove off the second floor of a car park, because there was another car in his way, he panicked, crashed through the barrier and landed in the garden below . Thankfully no one was hurt.
Sod it lets match the EU, it's far more important to keep your MV on the road ;-)

#12 ·
I looked in my broken headlamp and the deflector has both function of getting the low beam high on one side (the left side for a UK model) and is lifted by a small electric motor to get the light in high beam... this black little piece simply cannot be removed or altered to turn the headlamp from a UK to a EU version or the other way round.

My only solution is indeed to completely flatten the low beam. I have checked with 2 MOT guys and both tell me that having a fully flat low beam cannot fail an MOT, unlike having a low beam going high on the wrong side.

For the 2007 version, it is cheaper as you only need to change part 10 of this link (http://www.startwintrading.com/en/model/f4/f4_1078_rr_-_rr_/oem/354) to turn a EU version into a UK version or US version... Costs only EUR166 + VAT...

Flattening the low beam of the 2007 version would also allow you not to fail the MOT...

#13 ·
Daylight Only Mot Uk

My only solution is indeed to completely flatten the low beam. I have checked with 2 MOT guys and both tell me that having a fully flat low beam cannot fail an MOT, unlike having a low beam going high on the wrong side.

Flattening the low beam of the 2007 version would also allow you not to fail the MOT...
That's not the only solution;

Alternatively, you can request a "Daytime Only" MOT this is where you receive the MOT as normal but with a "VT32 advisory note" which is a daytime/ visibility restriction which states you can only drive with daylight visibility.

To request this YOU MUST: - fully tape up, all lights, or put cardboard covers over lights, paint or mask them so they are "not in use"

Many garages are unaware you can get a daytime only MOT but it is available and pretty easy to pick up and the main thing is; its perfectably legal.

You don't have to fully remove the lights but you do need to fully tape them up when requesting MOT

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.