MV Agusta Forum banner

Difference between 2012, 2013 or 2014 1090RR

8K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  rsawkins 
#1 ·
Hi folks,

Is there any difference between the 2012, 2013 or 2014 models of the 1090RR? I'm planning on buying one in the next few weeks and it looks like I can buy a 'new' one of each year. Since I'm planning on doing a few mods and custom paint job, I'm not overly worried about the year of the model from a re-sale perspective but if there are any mechanical differences (i.e inclusion of a slipper clutch or not on early models, blue SPU vice black SPU etc) I'd like to know to make an informed decision.

Additionally, I'm considering getting a full titanium exhaust - http://www.evolutionbike.it/mvagustastore/index.php/exhausts/brutale2010/mvcorse/rdmt01.html

Has anyone had any experience with that particular model?

Also has anyone had any luck retuning the bike for improved low rpm torque? Is there a preferred ECU people are using?

Thanks for your time responding.

#2 ·
Pretty sure they all have a slipper clutch, my 2012 does.
2012 is allegedly the last of the hand welded frames.
After 2012 abs was available as an option.

That exhaust comes with the race ecu which will remove the o2 sensor, the exhaust valve and the need for the emissions stuff on the cam cover. I'd probably start with that and see how you go before spending more money on tuning.

I have the race ecu + a PCV on mine, similar exhaust, I bought it all like that, the previous owner spend over 10K on custom parts etc !

Other ecu options, you might look at the Microtec, check with Chris at X-Bikes for compatibility etc.

#3 ·
Hi
I am new to the forum having just put down a deposit on a new 2013 1090rr. I'll pick it up in the next couple of weeks
I've ordered a full arrow exhaust system and I'm wondering which is the best option in relation to ecu to suit.
Considering I'll be riding on the road mostly I'd like to maintain (or better) low and mid range torque.
I'm in Sydney and was also wondering who the best servicing and tuning people are.
I don't mind working on my bikes myself but don't have the diagnostic skills for these new machines!!
Any advice greatly appreciated
Thanks
You might want to start a new thread.

#4 ·
I think ABS became standard on the '13s - which means you can't use a Microtec. I don't think you'll find the RR to be lacking torque - I know thats the 'party line' but it's simply not an issue.

Check the forum using the search function - there's plenty on how happy RR owners are with the low end torque as well as what we've done to tune our ECU when we swap out the cat.

I don't think you can make a mistake between the 3 years - buy what you can afford and in the color you like and enjoy.

#5 · (Edited)
Just wondering if you have actually ridden a 1090rr in anger. Tuning for more low down torque? They aren't exactly anaemic in that area. I can understand trying to tune for better low down fuelling and off idle throttle response but trying to chase more low down torque from this engine, what do want to do tow a caravan? Even with a pillion they go like like stink. No inline 4 has the right to have the low down torque these things have.

#6 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll be throwing a leg over one for the first time in about a week - simply going off reports and reviews of the differences between the 1090R and 1090RR. From the sounds of it there isn't anything to fix. Appreciate the feedback regarding the lack of differences between the years. I'll try and get a deposit down on one in the next week or so.

#9 ·
12s RR
have TIG welded frame
Forged wheels
No ABS
Black Engines / black wheels

13s RR
Robot produced frame
Cast wheels (Corsa has forged wheels)
ABS available
LED strip lights on the sides of the bikini fairing
Different front fender design
Silver engine / silver wheels

Microtec will not work with ABS equipped bike
Leftover 12s can be bought quite reasonably.... I have one that I installed the MV Corsa shorty exhaust with accompanying racing chip from MV...
Forget the low torque comments... That is rubbish, these bikes are short wheel based and are monsters!

That being said.... My bike coughs a bit just enough to let you know that things could be better with the mapping (thus my interest in the Microtec ) but not sure that I need to spend $1500 to have it sorted.
I simply call it personality....

Attachments

#13 ·
Mine's a '12 and (supposedly) has ABS. I've never felt it, but the manual says it has it and so does the dealer.

someone mentioned the 2012 RR comes with a slipper clutch. Is that a fact? If so, I did not know my bike has a slipper clutch
My '12 definitely has a slipper. First bike I've owned with one and I love it. I don't need one as I don't track it, but it feels nicer when downshifting on the street.

#11 ·
check out the brutale 1078 engine specs 8500 rpm full on ,now i think the 2011 2012 has this motor, 2013 comes on at i think by memory 10500 rpm full on .well all i can say is down low is where i want it not at 10500 rpm . Google it .all about torque and when it comes on.

thats my 5 cents worth.
cheers guys

#14 ·
My '13 says 'Race Tech ABS' on the front fender. It also has an ABS setting menu. My bike was originally ordered by a friend who didn't take delivery - he didn't order ABS on the bike and the pricing of the bike didn't show it as an option but rather as standard equipment.

I like the slipper clutch too.

#15 · (Edited)
2011 1090 model .Displacement: 1078.00 ccm (65.78 cubic inches)
Engine type: In-line four, four-stroke
Power: 144.20 HP (105.3 kW)) @ 10600 RPM
Torque: 115.00 Nm (11.7 kgf-m or 84.8 ft.lbs) @ 8000 RPM
Bore x stroke: 79.0 x 55.0 mm (3.1 x 2.2 inches)
Valves per cylinder: 4
Fuel system: Injection
Fuel control: DOHC
Ignition: Magneti Marelli 5SM ignition - injection integrated system with Mikuni throttle body; induction discharge electronic ignition; sequential timed “Multipoint” electronic injection

2013 1090 Displacement: 1078.00 ccm (65.78 cubic inches)
Engine details: Radial valve
Power: 158.00 HP (115.3 kW)) @ 11900 RPM
Torque: 100.00 Nm (10.2 kgf-m or 73.8 ft.lbs) @ 10100 RPM
Top speed: 265.0 km/h (164.7 mph)
Compression: 13.0:1
Fuel system: Injection
Fuel control: DOHC
Ignition: Magneti Marelli 5SM ignition - injection integrated system with Mikuni throttle body; induction discharge electronic ignition; sequential timed “Multipoint” electronic injection

brutale 1078 rr 2009 Displacement: 1078.00 ccm (65.78 cubic inches)
Power: 154.00 HP (112.4 kW)) @ 10700 RPM
Torque: 117.00 Nm (11.9 kgf-m or 86.3 ft.lbs) @ 8100 RPM
Top speed: 267.3 km/h (166.1 mph)
Max RPM: 11650
Compression: 13.0:1
Fuel system: Injection. “Weber Marelli” 5SM ignition - injection integrated system; induction discharge electronic ignition; sequential timed “Multipoint” electronic injection

Rubbish to some,there is clearly a difference unless i have missed something. Info from Bikez.com

Regards eddy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.