MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some guys were recommending coating all connectors on their F3s with Dielectric grease (on some of the throttle problem threads).

Did some youtubeing and found some vids in contradiction to their advise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuKAmaIkA-U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgJRKlE7pYg

So, what is ? Apply to the connectors or just the rear exposed parts of the connectors? The second vid shows that metal to metal with dielectric grease wont do much to voltage.

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
Well... I used the famous ACF 50 on and in the connectors. So far so good with zero problems.

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Donsy knows.

Just a bit of common is required. If the connectors have a strong spring action like on Lucar connectors then use a bit of dielectric grease and youll be maintaining metal to metal contact.
If you coat the pins on your F4 indicator bullet connectors with it then the grease will live up to its name...DIE electrics : )
Joe

·
Registered
418 Posts
The maker of Permatex tuneup dielectric grease provide the following instruction:
1. Make sure ignition system is off.
2. Clean surface with Permatex® Contact Cleaner.
3. Coat both parts of terminal contact with Dielectric Grease.
4. Reassemble, maintaining metal-to-metal contact.

https://www.permatex.com/products/lubricants/specialty-lubricants/permatex-dielectric-tune-up-grease-4/

I personally think this guy's hypothesis makes a lot of sense (whether it's common or not???)
http://www.w8ji.com/dielectric_grease_vs_conductive_grease.htm

My own personal view without any technical basis other than what I've read here is, if the connector exposes the terminals to the elements, it could benefit from dielectric grease.

·
Super Moderator
22,301 Posts
Paul, the terminal, in your example, would also benefit just as much from a smear of axle grease.

Dielectrics ISOLATE current flow. They are insulators.

If there is a gap in the contact zone, and dielectric is introduced into that gap, the circuit will not work.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Paul, the terminal, in your example, would also benefit just as much from a smear of axle grease.
Yes, agreed, in terms of protecting the terminal against oxidation.

This is also another benefit, and I think this is where dielectric grease is really beneficial, particularly for high voltage/current situation.

If there is a gap in the contact zone, and dielectric is introduced into that gap, the circuit will not work.
I don't disagree with this ^^, but I also think if there is a gap, then the problem lies in the integrity of the terminals more so than grease (whether that be axle or dielectric grease). On the other hand, if that gap is exposed to the elements it would initiate oxidation and diminish the performance of the terminals (in absence of protection such as grease). I remember back in the days of slot cars, the guy that runs the track used to put on a layer of sewing machine oil on the track every now and then with a cotton swabs, I didn't think much of it back then, but per the context of this thread, I now think it's to protect the track.

·
Registered
14,486 Posts
????

if there is a gap in contact there is no connection......dielectric grease or no

Please refer to Section O, page 2 of the Service Manual up through 312RR

this is the electrical trouble shooting guide.......

what are the 2 most frequent fixes??????

Deoxidize/Repair and Replace

now go look at the package for Permatex #22058 what does it say????

"Protects Electrical Connectors From Corrosion"

you think maybe that would stop all the Deoxidize/Repair problems??????

:stickpoke:stickpoke

I live 3 blocks from the Pacific Ocean......I have no electrical issues.......

I use dielectric grease...... my '66 ElCamino has spent 51 YEARS outside at the beach

General Motors used dielectric grease on it......no electrical issues

Joe's example is silly we all know that front indicator problems are related to torque

on the 2 fairing mounting bolts.....everything is rubber mounted and wiggles around

:popcorn:

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Ha ha..I almost choked on me Weetabix Noel..; )

I is talkin about the indicator bullet connectors and not the contactor plates..

The connectors are a male and female fine pin and bore...and they can fail if you use dielectric

Now where did I put my twirly bow tie hee hee.

Joe

·
Super Moderator
22,301 Posts
OOoh boy, can we now get into I^2R losses and how that effects current flow in a connector that has corrosion?

We've talked cleaning contact points to death here,too.

Basically, take it apart, clean it, nake sure it's tight, protect it, put it together...repeat.

All will be right.

Maybe.

·
Registered
14,486 Posts

I is talkin about the indicator bullet connectors and not the contactor plates..

The connectors are a male and female fine pin and bore...and they can fail if you use dielectric grease......

Joe
Joe;

you obviously didn't take the "bullet" connector apart......

there is nothing an insolating grease could affect

there is a solid brass plunger with a spring around it, it is held in the plastic housing by

a small E-clip the wire from the ITT connector is soldered to the plunger

I measured 0.2 Ohms between the ITTconnector and the tip of the plunger

exactly what I get touching my test leads together

a bullet connector is on the neutral switch not in this circuit

regarding the use of dielectric grease.......

1st I called RC jr former Chief QC Engineer at Xerox Microelectronics

now Chief Engineer at US Circuit the company that put Honeywell out of the circuit

board business

then I walked next door to Rod's house....one of the top elevator guys in the country

Tom drove down the alley (toured the World for 25 years doing lights and sound for the

top R&R bands)

asked them all the same question"Dielectric grease on electrical connections?

all said YES, Rod added "don't put it on contacts that may arc"

he's the only one using big voltages and currents

:popcorn:

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
I used the term " bullet connector" loosely Noel.

Im referring to the little two pin connectors on the indicator wires.

Male pin into female bore x 2 pins.

I used dielectric grease on them. They failed.
I flushed it out with a bit of WD40. They worked again and havent failed since.

Ill do a resistance check on a spare connector when Im home.

Yes di-electric grease is excellent elsewhere but be careful with the connectio to the directionals here .

Joe

·
Vendor
5,329 Posts
I own 2 forms of Dielectric grease.One is a toothpaste type tube which I use on large terminals such as- battery terminals,starter solenoid etc.The second is an aerosol can which I lightly spray on small connectors and multi-pin connectors.Bit runny when first sprayed but soon dries sticky.Never had terminal fail yet using this method.Just saying.:)

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Well dont leave the topthpaste one in the bathroom ! I once left a small aerosol of WD40 in the bathroom with rather unfortunate results !

·
Registered
9 Posts
Brand new here, As a former house electrician, we used Dielectric grease to insulate connections made prior to applying grease, DRY (bare metal to bare metal), this seals the connection from the outside to prevent corrosion due to galvanic response and the elements, not inside the connection you may reduce the connectivity if you do that. It is true DIE electric, means non conductive. It is to improve insulation and preserve electrical connections. They do this by sealing out contaminants, moisture, and air out of connections. They are as effective at preserving connections over time. Normally, in house wiring, it is used on the aluminum high voltage service wires to prevent corrosion.
So, the upshot is if you have a loose bullet type connection, you need to replace or repair it so solid metal to metal contact is made, then apply dielectric grease to the assembled connector.
Also, Never use "conductive" grease to improve conductivity as it is also an insulation grease, but has small powdered metal in it. Used in application specific circumstances only.
There is another product used mostly in marine applications called liquid electrical tape, provides 1700 volts per mil dielectric properties. goes on with a brush and sets to a flexible rubber. not good if you plan to disassemble parts regularly.

·
Super Moderator
22,301 Posts
Excellent post MR. B!

Welcom to this disfunctional family.

Good luck with your B3 pursuit in the Philipines. We can help you though most issues you encounter.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts