MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my best Steve Urkel voice, "Mmmmm, did I do that?"

I'm referring to people starting to call their bikes by name. I've not noticed in any previous threads where members have referred to their existing or future motorcycles by a familiar name. Yet now we have Destiny, Biaca, Sonya along with my Red Molly with more to come I'm sure. So was this something you thought about before or did I stir your minds imagination?
(I did read the thread in the Brutale section but that was geared more towards renaming a model after extensive customization.)

Both the wife and I have had to endure some good natured ribbing over our naming of inanimate objects. We've found it helps to form a bond with the item of our affection. And... when you are passionate about something that bond can become very strong.

Linda's (that's the wife) M796 is Max as in Mad Max, The Road Warrior. The bike was to have come in white and she had started referring to it as Angelica. However, Ducati North America needed a bike for a photo shot and when they saw the Monster in white they took it. The only other M796 ABS available at the time was in the matte black, (long story but the colour wasn't important as it was getting a red / green body kit). He had a menacing look about him and she said it reminded her of Mad Max's Falcon XB.

While I was driving home from the dealer all I could see in the rear-view mirror was my F3's headlight surrounded by this gorgeous red upper fairing. The first thing that popped into my head was the opening line of Richard Thompson's song, 1952 Vincent Black Lighting. "Said Red Molly to James that's a fine motorbike..." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgxbCnqCyKA

And so we have Max and Molly. After reading all Ondgas' frustrations the name Destiny is self explanatory but how about the others? Is Sonya from Red Sonya? Biaca because of the white colour?

If you've named your motorcycle give us the story behind it. If you haven't then let your inner child run free and make up one. Like they said in that old commercial, "Try it, you'll like it!".

·
Registered
25 Posts
Khatira - Afghani for Desire.

I figure that I earned the bike working in Afghanistan, so it was fitting. Also the name's pretty unique - just like the bike

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
Elizabeth renamed baby girl "Ed".

"Ed's been a naughty boy." "Ed's so dirty, he needs a bath." "I can't stop touching Ed."

It's driving me crazy and it creeps me out.

·
Registered
570 Posts
So true. I've named pretty much all the motorcycles I've owned. Dirt bikes and 4wheelers were named after strippers that I've. Met through the years. Lol. Street bikes and race bikes have gotten a lil classier names. I agree if you are passionate about something you tend to get close to it. I have a disease when it comes to motorcycles. They all have a womans name. I talk to them. Praise em when there good, cuss em when there bad and even pat them on the ass when I ride away from an epic mountain ride or taken a victory lap. I love my motorcycles. I also love everyone elses bikes aswell.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Nice MiloMV! Yeah I name all my babies (seeing as to how they take the place of real babies for now). F3-Bianca (itailian for white) 2012 white Edge- Pearle, 2005 black dodge ram hemi- Bertha, 2007 red Moomba mobius LSV wakeboat- "Mater" (long story behind this, has to do with drinking red eyes a lot on the boat), and black with dark red frame 2009 Yamaha Raptor 700R-SE- Diablo

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Sure Stephen all my bikes have the same names. Depending on their performance and my mood their names are ranging between 'sweet baby girl" to "f...ing bitch".

·
Registered
1,389 Posts

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
Yes all my bikes have girls names, the MVs all starting with 'V', no real reason behind most of the names other than the Senna being called Viviane after Ayrton's sister, and yes we have had a 'name' thread already I think in the F4 or general section :)

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
Interesting Thread

& No - certainly not passing judgement on others, and purely in the interest of discussion, I have to admit I've always thought it weird naming cars or bikes. :jsm:

My first serious girlfriend named her Torana (one for the Aussies this one) Pippy :wtf: Probably why I didn't marry her :laughing:

·
Registered
561 Posts
I am finding this quite difficult but I will work on it, I know after a long days hard riding I often pat my bike on the tank and say thanks for looking after me.

I guess "far canal" could work as that's what I say when I open the throttle wide :) or if it breaks down
"Norfolk in good"

·
Administrator
19,853 Posts
This is a subject discussed at length in another thread several years ago.

Just like boats, I name my bikes and sometimes my cars. Usually feminine names.

910R is Gina
F4 SPR is Lola

1971 CB100 Honda is Lil' Red
1978 ATC70 Honda is Stumpy
Now departed Suzuki C50T was Miss Daisy
The Yamaha YSR 50 is The Rabbit

My "wish I still had it" Suzuki Equator pick-up (Nissan) was Phyllis

it goes on and on..

Carl...she named the bike "Ed"....hmm...something subliminal here..

·
Administrator
19,853 Posts
Elizabeth renamed baby girl "Ed".

"Ed's been a naughty boy." "Ed's so dirty, he needs a bath." "I can't stop touching Ed."

It's driving me crazy and it creeps me out.
Hmmmmm. Had no idea she fantasized about me. I am flattered :rolleyes:..

Can't wait for her to give me a bath!! :humpother

·
Registered
947 Posts
I name things near and dear to me based of a person or character that has been memorable to me. When I was thinking about a name for my F3 the very first thing that popped into my head was Sonya who was a character in the 3rd Underworld movie. I think that character had the fire, spirit, and passion that the F3 has. Ok, maybe I am wierd lol.

·
Registered
265 Posts
"Velocita" for mine - Italian, female and speed all in one word!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts