MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI guys, I'm looking for some first hand opinions here. My Brutale is an 05 750s with roughly 7k on it. This past week it started exhibiting some strange behavior. The high beams were illuminated non stop while riding regardless of the switch position, then yesterday morning it was very reluctant to start. Cranking over but no ignition for multiple tries...not typical. When it did fire up I rode it to work and it seemed fine. When I went to leave it cranked and cranked to no advail. I smelled gas but it seemed like spark was not present as it did not even attempt to fire. Fuse pannel looked fine and as I didn't have any tools I was pretty limited as to my diagnosing options. Now when I try to turn the key on the dash is blank and dimly lit and the gauges don't sweep...granted the lithium battery might be drained from trying to start it repeatedly but it's a less than year old properly charged ballistic 6 cell so I don't think that's the gremln.

Do you all think it's the spu? If so what are the best prices/vendors in the states to obtain a new one? My bike was recently dyno tuned and chipped by ferracci should I be able to salvage that chip and continue on my merry way, or is it all tied together and now I've got to redo all that..? I'm not super electro savvy so any first hand knowledge would be helpful.

Thanks a bunch! Ben

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Ben, first thing check the backing side of the current SPU, if it's blue that will confirm it is a known problem item, if it is black you may have had the old one replaced, you don't say how long you have owned the bike.

Certainly the high beam on all the time and bizarre electrical stuff are the signs of the blue spu. Dulldash and lack of tacho sweep indicate low battery voltage do you have a master to test it? Lithium batteries hate to be desired ed down and can become dangerous if over discharged, do you have a proper charger for the lithium? If so connect up and leave until you know it's recovered.

As for buying in the states I will leave that to a stateside member to comment on, if your looking for a good vendor can't go far wrong with one of the sponsors like startwin.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I've owned the bike since 1,200 miles and have never replaced the ecu. I'm unsure if the previous owner has or has not upgraded but it was bone stock when I took ownership. Tomorrow I'll verify by removing the spu. As far as the battery goes it was very hot after repeated failures to start yesterday, then it seemingly lost all cranking power. I do have the digital charger so I'll make sure it's not fried. Any idea about the chip upgrade survivability/removal? Thanks for your help Jim.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Chip should be OK, does sound like you have stressed the lithium battery, allow it to cool and then charge it. Lithiums do not like over discharging so keep an eye on it and if it gets hot stop the charge.

The original SPU blue backed items are know to fail, in my case the fuel pump relay was the issue so no fuel pressure and no start. But they can fail in a variety of ways, weird electrical issues such as of switching off when turned off and headlamp permanently on are all signs.

Good luck and keep an eye on the battery charging.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I've been pretty meticulous about balance charging the battery since the first one dipped below the recommended voltage causing it's premature failure. I hope the repeated attempts at starting yesterday didn't cook it as well. At any rate it was the least of my concern's knowing the cost of potentially replacing the ecu would far exceed a battery. Tomorrow I'll pull the ecu and determine if it's a blue backed dud. Again if anyone can recommend replacement vendors in the states that are good price wise it would be much appreciated. "I'm sure ferracci would bend me over the barrel for msrp." When it comes to handling and removing the aftermarket chip is it similar to automobiles in that a clean environment is needed "no static, gloved hands etc?" One last question, are the 750 and 910 model specific or do they share a common ecu/map?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Thanks guys, I've been pretty meticulous about balance charging the battery since the first one dipped below the recommended voltage causing it's premature failure. I hope the repeated attempts at starting yesterday didn't cook it as well. At any rate it was the least of my concern's knowing the cost of potentially replacing the ecu would far exceed a battery. Tomorrow I'll pull the ecu and determine if it's a blue backed dud. Again if anyone can recommend replacement vendors in the states that are good price wise it would be much appreciated. "I'm sure ferracci would bend me over the barrel for msrp." When it comes to handling and removing the aftermarket chip is it similar to automobiles in that a clean environment is needed "no static, gloved hands etc?" One last question, are the 750 and 910 model specific or do they share a common ecu/map?
You will be looking for the service power unit (SPU), not the ecu for the blue vs black back. it's located behind the right side cover of the fuel tank vs underneath the front. You will probably need to remove the tank in order to check. There is a post stickied in the Brutale forum by CAG that goes over which SPU you need. I know that there is one other fellow and myself who have spare 8A00A9300 SPUs for sale.

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
Do not confuse the ECU with the SPU.
And the mapping between the 750 and 910 are not the same, later model 910's have an altogether different ECU.

·
Registered
74 Posts
As above. Check your battery

Pull your fuse panel. Look for the sticker on the back side of the panel.
Upgraded SPU has 12 fuses. Original should be 13 fuses.

Click here for SPU info

Click here for vendor Star Twin

·
Registered
59 Posts
Ben:

I have an 04 Brutale 750...early VIN that experienced an SPU failure late this past spring. Crazy stuff, highbeam worked one day then not the next, signals worked intermittantly, then it stopped charging the battery while running and left me stranded. I ordered the correct SPU (there are two models depending on your VIN) from Star Twin Trading (Netherlands or Belgium) I could ot find a stateside vendor with the unit I needed. Anyway, I had the new SPU in about 10 days....all problems instantly solved...happiness.
I don't know if your Li battery is causing or adding to the issues...maybe swap it out to check. Good luck.

Jeff

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey guys thank you all for your input. I pulled the Spu last Thursday...it was a blue backed 13 fuse example and toast! There was actually a visible burn mark on the back of the unit and it had that distinctive oily transistor nastiness odor. So...first step I looked at star twin's websight, they show zero spu's in stock. I've yet to email them to see if they're back ordered or simply unavailable. After that I gave Ferracci a call they had none in stock, but said they could have it in 7-10 days for $560!!!!! Damn. Before I pull the trigger on that I figured I'd reach out to the community to see if there were any floating around I'd give a fair price for any that could be guaranteed in good working condition. The "upgraded" part number I need according to my VIN# is 8A00A9615

Thanks Again Guys!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just an update guys, it was the infamous blue backed Spu with the 13 fuses and boy was it toast! Actual visible burn marks on the blue backing and what looks and smells like transistor grease. So according to CAG's sticky and my VIN I need the upgraded part 8A00A9615. Ferracci wants $560, star twin is out of stock...so if any members have one not being used in good working condition I'd pay a fair price!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Would it be too much to ask if you can post pics of the damaged SPU (especially the inside)? I'm interested in whether it's possible to tell what the fail mode is, whether it's the trace or the components, both, or whether it's from the surrounding heat. I have the old blue SPU, and so far no issue, but I'm guessing eventually I'll join the club.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I dont think im able to upload picture's here via my cell phone...but I'll gladly send you a few if you want to msg me your number. Just be on the lookout for odd electrical behavior prior to failure. Thinking back mine had been doing some screwy stuff...lights doing erratic things, starter sometimes not engaging.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Would it be too much to ask if you can post pics of the damaged SPU (especially the inside)? I'm interested in whether it's possible to tell what the fail mode is, whether it's the trace or the components, both, or whether it's from the surrounding heat. I have the old blue SPU, and so far no issue, but I'm guessing eventually I'll join the club.
See this thread A SERIOUS WARNING -- NEW SPU's suck

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
Don't worry about that thread as a baseline mate, there's a lot more members with perfectly fine working undated SPU's on here than problematic ones.
Go and have a look in the other threads on SPU's, this issue's been around and dealt with rather successfully for over 6 years.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts