MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Yep I have the kit for all MV's, Not worked on the TV, but the ECU is the same as all F3's and F4's.

Anything particular you want to know?

Also they are now a forum sponsor so, you can ask them questions directly, but I do know that they cant reply at the moment as they have not been given permission to post anywhere.

Reactions: esq'z me

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just curious what are most common useful features when using with TV? Other than error codes and error code reset.

You can tune maps (if you know how and what). Ready maps? Race functions not probably primary for TV :)

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
The ROM's do enable you to change the fueling and ignition etc, but also release the torque of the engine where it is electronically limited and change the smoothness of the throttle, these are fairly simple to do, test and correct if its not correct. As you are not changing the fueling just how the ECU uses it you can experiment without risking the engine. Like all changes, small incremental changes are the way to go.

However on quite a few bikes it control and personalisation. For example, my blipper and QS are modified so that they are smooth in traffic, so lower rpm and lower torque / deceleration. It makes it much nicer in traffic, but does not compromise the functionality at speed / load. Fan activation temperatures are another favorite.

The other thing I encourage owners to do is take a data log when the bike is working well, both from cold and when warm. You then have a baseline to check against when checking for faults etc.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep I have the kit for all MV's, Not worked on the TV, but the ECU is the same as all F3's and F4's.

Anything particular you want to know?

Also they are now a forum sponsor so, you can ask them questions directly, but I do know that they cant reply at the moment as they have not been given permission to post anywhere.
A thread similar to this was started in February and March of this year, perculiar to TV owners because our bike choice is rather unique in the MV model line up in that it is a tourer, not a sports bike. I ride my bike thousands of miles from home or any dealership. I don't track day and I don't need the bike to go any faster. I was hoping- and I think this sentiment was expressed by others at the time, for a code reader accessed thru" a phone app that would explain, override and clear "no Start " problems . Or any other simple fixes explained so I can keep on touring.
I'm only assuming that this software package from ECU will require a download onto a laptop. Not so easy to pack around on my next trip to California.
Then the question of cost . I understand the time to develop this package has to be paid for. It "appears " to have a lot of features that I would never use, but have to buy anyway.

So my question to you Aaron is - I can be persuaded that this software is a good idea for a touring bike rider if I can have more knowledge on how it would help solve my particular situation. And of course, right now there are no other options. I appreciated your input as you have used this software yourself.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Ok, two points

1, I carry my dongle and interface on my bike. Because if I get stuck I can borrow a laptop and see if I can fix it or at least understand the issue. As dealers are few and good garages with knowledge of MV's even less. So for me a its a vital tool, I actually refused to buy the MV until I had a solution to diagnostics

2, A diagnostics program via a phone. Yes its possible but NO ONE wants it. We tried a couple of times and I had long and detailed discussions with ECUStudio and they were willing to create an app for us, to do exactly what you want. However there needs to be a market for it, for any company to create an app. Apart from the development time for the App, there is all the investment to workout how to access the ECU and decode the CAN messages beyond the simple industry standard messages. When we tried last time we could not even get 10 people to say yes. I was willing to put cash in, but we would need at least 20 people to say yes and guarantee purchase and probably a deposit based on a clear specification to get it to happen.

Like I said I wanted independence from MV and from garages in general, its not just MV, I do this with all my cars and bikes.

Reactions: revhead1957

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone purchased this software for the Turismo ?

ECU Studio - MV Turismo Veloce
Just an update on where I have gone with all this , as an encouragement to others to maybe try it and learn about your bike ---- as the intervening months there has been no improvement with the dealer net work ---- and my last effort to get MV to fix issues on my bike that have never been resolved since new ----- are now exhausted ----- so now its upto me. And I don't mind it too much.
So here goes.
I have no experience with this type of software, so progress in learning is slow.
However, I have done my first flash which has enabled the cruise control to function properly for the first time in several years- a big plus. And several other small things
Q/s still not working.
Fuelling is poor at small throttle openings - jerky. Hoping to fix that too.
This system -ECU Studio- the way I am using it was not cheap once my whole package came together. The software cost at my door was around $700. My Acer laptop is old and not suitable to carry on the bike, ( I want to be able to do whatever when I'm a 1000 miles from home , so have to take all this with me- no problem with that on a tourer ) so a new Microsoft Surface Go 2 - essentially a tablet . The software is windows based.

There are no tutorials to how to use the software as yet, so there will be lots of questions to tech support.

Anyone else gone this route for the TV that wants to add anything.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Have you read the user manual, or watched the videos on how to flash and set up a quick shifter?

Software is fairly straightforward, as ever caution is the word of the day. Repeated small changes are best way,

Reactions: jaramharamharam

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Been over the manual several times , and as mentioned, done several flashes.
With the Q/S - with 1.6 volts- maybe its jammed or stuck.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
At rest it should be 2.6v

1.6 is what i would expect when you press the lever down.

Check the voltage between the red and blue wires, should be 5v. If it's not, disconnect the sensor and see what the voltage is on the connector. If that is 5v, it may be that you are current limited.

Give me a shout if you are and i can talk you through it.

Reactions: jaramharamharam

·
Administrator
20,349 Posts
5 volts is a standard ECU reference voltage used by many sensors. The output of the sensor should be less than that when activated. If you get 5 volts on all 3 wires then your sensor is likely shorted.

Reactions: TVLKAWASUKI

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
ok you have a problem.

The ECU has many separate 5v feeds.

With the sensor connected you should get the following at rest (with respect to battery Gnd (-) terminal
Red 5v
Green ~2.6v
Blue 0v

I have seen some where the wires are switch in terms of blue and red.

You should never get 5v or 0v as a QS signal, the sensor should not be able to supply it as there is effectively resistor network in the sensor not a strain guage.

With the lever at rest I would expect to see ~2.6v
Shift Up should be <2v
Shift Down should be >3v

Can you do a log using ecu studio and send it over?

Start logging and log the QS voltage, clutch and gear (Engine off) Starting in Neutral, pull in the clutch and release. Then shift in to 1st gear, then shift up to second, then 3rd then 4th then 5th then 6th. pulling the clutch and release, then shift down through each gear down into 1st and then back in to neutral.

That way we can see what is happening. As you have established you have 0 and 5v at supply the sensor is not pulling the line low due to current limits as on some MV's. As said it probably your sensor, ECUStudio is the cheapest place I have found them, they get them from the manufacturer.

Reactions: TVLKAWASUKI

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The last dealer that attempted to fix the Q/s borrowed a working copy from another MV- but it didn't help any.
The first two logs were saved with the Q/s being turned off on the dashboard.
This one attached was with it turned on.
There is no number listed in the gear column. I started in neutral, then into first and so on, clutching each time.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
All the data is there including gear. What I would say is that the voltages do not match the voltages that you mentioned above.

You can see in the data trace that your QS voltage is constant at 1.6v regardless of the activation of the QS or not.

As I said above 1.6v is similar to what I would expect for a shift up or shift down depending on orientation.

You say the dealer tried switching with another sensor?

Some background would help.
Did you own from new?
Did the QS ever work?
Is the QS an EAS 1.0, 2.0 or 2.1?
Can you check the 5v line (Red to Blue) and watch the voltage as you shift does it move from 5v to something else?

The dash setting does not matter, it tells the ECU what to do with the input, it does not physically switch off the QS.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Voltages- at the switch. red 5v. blue 0 green 1.6

At the connector . orange wire to green 5v
brown to blue 0
white to red 5 v Each wire was tested individually.

There was no change in voltage on any of the three wires at the switch when making a gear shift. I can hear the switch clicking when shifting.

Yes, the dealer did try another shifter with no success.
The Q/s is EAS 2.0
The Q/s worked intermittently for about 3 months. Since then, the bike has had 4 new clutch switches in the vain attempt to get the shifter to work. It seemed to be the -goto solution .

I have owned the bike since new.

Thanks .

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Hi sorry not been around.

Can you run a log with ECUStudio of the QS voltage and then unplug the QS? As the ECU has a pull up resistor, we should see the logged voltage go from 1.6v to 5v.

If the voltage is still 1.6v with no QS fitted, then there may be an issue with the wiring back to the ECU. i.e a damaged wire etc.
If the voltage goes to 5v then the wiring back to the ECU and ECU probably fine.

Assuming it goes to 5v then I'd say its the sensor or the supply to the QS.

If you have a fixed 5v supply you could power the sensor separately (make sure you common up the 0v lines) and see if you get a signal change. If you get 2.5v at rest or there about then the issue is with the supply to the sensor.

I'd still bet on the QS fault (I never trust a dealer but that's me), I know ECUStudio sell their own sensor I have one (same as the MV one but cheaper) They might do you a deal?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts