MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Day of Infamy......
The attack was planned and led by Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto
His later comments "I fear all we have done is awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" and
"I can win the war for 6 months, after that we will lose"
The Battle of Midway was June 6th 1942.......he was right, two Navy Lt, Commanders broke the back of the Imperial Navy that day

Two of the many Heros at Pearl Harbor.....
They were at an all night poker game when the attack occurred, they called their airfield and said "Fuel and arm, 2 P-40s"
2nd Lt Ken Taylor (L) and 2nd Lt George "Wheaties" Welch
They were credited with 7 kills, they claimed none, they were both recommend for the Congressional Medal of Honor
It was denied, because they had no orders to take off......
They came back in and refueled and re-armed and were told not to take off, they went anyway
Wheaties taught pilots how to fly F-86s in Korea.....and shot down several Migs as a civilian....not legal but>:)>:)
He was a test pilot at North American Aviation, they all hung out at my Father's desk, closest one to the field and the shop
Wheaties died doing a 9 G pullout in an F-100, he snapped it in half:crying:

Attachments

·
Registered
416 Posts
Salute to my neighbor, friend, mentor and first employer in the oil patch of 4-corners USA: Lance Corporal Billy F. Latch Jr.
He was on the USS Helena during the Pearl attack. The Helena managed to build steam and escape the area. But Bill watched the entire attack unfold. Later the Helena was sunk, but Bill survived. He also was at Iwo Jima, and survived. Bill passed about 15 years ago in my home town of Durango, CO.

Visiting the Arizona is sobering, did that about 20 years ago with my parents. The Japanese tourists got very quiet. She still bleeds oil.

Indeed a day of infamy.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The Day of Infamy......
The attack was planned and led by Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto
His later comments "I fear all we have done is awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" and
"I can win the war for 6 months, after that we will lose"
The Battle of Midway was June 6th 1942.......he was right, two Navy Lt, Commanders broke the back of the Imperial Navy that day

Two of the many Heros at Pearl Harbor.....
They were at an all night poker game when the attack occurred, they called their airfield and said "Fuel and arm, 2 P-40s"
2nd Lt Ken Taylor (L) and 2nd Lt George "Wheaties" Welch
They were credited with 7 kills, they claimed none, they were both recommend for the Congressional Medal of Honor
It was denied, because they had no orders to take off......
They came back in and refueled and re-armed and were told not to take off, they went anyway
Wheaties taught pilots how to fly F-86s in Korea.....and shot down several Migs as a civilian....not legal but>:)>:)
He was a test pilot at North American Aviation, they all hung out at my Father's desk, closest one to the field and the shop
Wheaties died doing a 9 G pullout in an F-100, he snapped it in half:crying:
Wow! Thank you for remembering and honoring these incredible men and their sacrifices.

·
Registered
14,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WWll Test Pilots

North American Aviation test pilots at the beginning of the War, Los Angeles Division
Same pilots posing, in the same order, at the end of the War with "Bones" the last B-25
Everyone in the entire Factory signed the plane, including my Mother, Father and my Aunt Elizabeth
My Mother said they rolled them out ot the plant, armed them and test fired them right next to Imperial Blvd.
Into the big sand dune, that is now the El Segundo Blue Butterfly Preserve:grin2:
Then they gassed them up and a WAC ferry pilot jumped in, did her check list.....and flew it to where it was supposed to go

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts