MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I had my dashboard crack all the way through, when parked. I haven’t been able to ride it due to an injury. I pulled the cover off of the bike and the dash cracked all the way from the right side buttons all the way through the screen.

Anyone experience this?

I also went to my dealer and they said the 2014 dash has been discontinued. Anyone ever put a 2015 dash on a 2014?

Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I think the discontinued dash is the one with red color background.
From 2015/2016 they started using a white background.

Not sure if they actually changed layout.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Hi all,

I had my dashboard crack all the way through, when parked. I haven’t been able to ride it due to an injury. I pulled the cover off of the bike and the dash cracked all the way from the right side buttons all the way through the screen.

Anyone experience this?

I also went to my dealer and they said the 2014 dash has been discontinued. Anyone ever put a 2015 dash on a 2014?

Any help would be appreciated
As mentioned above, the new dash has a white background and improved layout.

When you say "pulled off the cover" Did you mean rip off the cover? Im battling to get my mind how the dash got cracked? :surprise:

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
. . . When you say "pulled off the cover" Did you mean rip off the cover? Im battling to get my mind how the dash got cracked? :surprise:
I read this as a fabric bike cover over the whole bike. Pending Goreela's confirmation, I think the bike has been parked outside and has suffered temperature cracking, ie hot sun, cool evening.:frown2:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As mentioned above, the new dash has a white background and improved layout.

When you say "pulled off the cover" Did you mean rip off the cover? Im battling to get my mind how the dash got cracked? :surprise:
No. The motorcycle cover that was on the bike

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I read this as a fabric bike cover over the whole bike. Pending Goreela's confirmation, I think the bike has been parked outside and has suffered temperature cracking, ie hot sun, cool evening.:frown2:
You read it correctly. I think it may be temperature cracking too, the problem is the dash looks like it’s been through a crash. The extent of the damage is severe. I just can’t see how a spike in temps would cause a dash to have a half inch split on the side.

I live in Northern California too. Not many huge temperature swings here

·
Super Moderator
22,875 Posts
Sounds to me like something impacted your dash while the bike was stored.

Reactions: esq'z me

·
Registered
165 Posts
Sorry to hear that!
I had a similar thing happen to my bike! It was parked in a secured bicycle shed and some idiot threw a single mattress on top of the whole bike (I found the mattress resting against the wall and sitting on my bike). As a result the screen buckled and bashed the dashboard. The impact caused a few of the areas around the dash to crack. I don't think it was a malicious action, more of a lack of care coupled with idiocy.
I have since done a track day and luckily the cracks have not increased.
To me it sounds like someone has dropped something accidentally over your screen. Have you checked your screen for marks?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No evidence of that. No damage anywhere else and the crack starts at the bottom right. Hard to get anything in that area to hit it hard enough and not damage anything else

·
Super Moderator
22,875 Posts
So your theory is that it spontaneously exploded?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So your theory is that it spontaneously exploded?
My theory is I don’t know, but if you’re dexterous enough to hit the bottom right hand corner of the dash hard enough to leave a half inch crack and not hit anything around it, including the carbon fiber fairing stay that would easily show scratches in the clear coat, feel free to demonstrate on your bike.

If not, then the only answer I have is it cracked due to weather.

·
Super Moderator
22,875 Posts
Would you please post a quality picture of the phenomenon?

Reactions: PTsalas

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Since this thing got sidetracked into people calling bullshit for ZERO reason, I’m posting some pics. In the pics you can clearly see the massive amounts of damage around the dashboard. Those are probably where the Orcs attacked first. Then, when Syrian forces attacked Santa Clara they fucked up the entire upper fairing. It was just brutal!

If anyone was wondering about my original question, 2015 and up dashes will work on earlier model years

·
Registered
467 Posts
To me that looks VERY much like some hard object hit the Dash in the area indicated here in red:

Perhaps something fell on the bike while in storage? I had the tank cover damaged on my Ducati damaged by a dropped paddock stand THROUGH the two covers over it. Only noticed it when I unpacked the bike in spring.

I Challenged the other guy using the storage space, and he admitted dropping the Paddock stand on my bike .. Could the same sort of thing have happened? I very much doubt a case of "Freeze-damage" unless water had gotten in to the Dash and expanded during freezing. (Could water have been "left" in there from washing before storage?)

Oh .. and where is the bolt missing from the Carbon fairing stay?

Attachments

·
Administrator
20,785 Posts
Yeah...that's impact damage. Are those marks on the fairing stay as well? or just optical illusion from photo lighting?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I know it looks like impact damage, but the dash is buried so deep it would be impossible to hit it that hard and not leave a trace anywhere else. If it were an impact, based on the pattern of the crack, it would’ve had to come from the side. That’s why I took pics of the area around it.

Like I said to the other guy, look at your dash and try to figure out how you could hit it hard enough to do that.

The bike was under a locked cover that was stretched by the mirrors

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I’ve been riding for over 30 years and deeply involved in the industry and racing for years. This isn’t my first time looking at a broken part.

First thing I did was look for impact points

1 - 20 of 30 Posts