MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've looked around and can't find any threads on this issue, so I'm just going to throw this out there...

What to others think of the dash styling? I've seen some comments on the UI and how difficult it is to use. That doesn't bother me particularly, although it could be a bit more user friendly. What I'm wanting to know is how do people find the display?

It is well publicised how much effort MV put into the design and styling of their bikes to get them just right. By and large, those physical attributes are not only beautiful, but user friendly. However in my opinion, this doesn't extend to the dashboard. I guess it looks kind of styley, but I don't find it terribly easy to use.

For example, the rev-counter numbers are in a tiny bold italic font. They just look like black blobs when I'm riding and the dash is vibrating. I'm considering asking one of the kids for a small sticker - a star or something - to stick above the 5, so I can instantly get my bearings at a glance.

Another thing I can't get over is how ridiculously tiny the time is. Since I commute on my bike every day, I look at the time quite often. The trouble is, I need to lean forward, squint and focus on it for a good 1 or 2 seconds to a) find it and b) read it. This can be seriously dangerous in heavy traffic. Also because it only displays in 24 hr format, I can only usually read the minutes. It really is so tiny I'm not sure why they are bothered at all.

The trip meter is also less than ideal - it takes concentration to read, and I usually have to guess where the decimal is. The speedo is adequate, and I don't have too much difficulty picking out the gear indicator.

Maybe it sounds like I'm a bit picky. I know the reputation of Italian vehicles was that there are certain compromises that you just have to endure - the overall experience is worth it in the end. However I thought times had changed and MV were putting serious effort into getting all their design right. Great aesthetics is one thing, but great aesthetics with superb functionality is surely the holy grail.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Dash styling is a letdown in my opinion to the rest of the bike. I really wish they could have gone the TFT route like Ducati is doing in the Panigale and 1200 monster. Those dashboards are just gorgeous and more fitting a bike in this price range in my opinion.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dash styling is a letdown in my opinion to the rest of the bike. I really wish they could have gone the TFT route like Ducati is doing in the Panigale and 1200 monster. Those dashboards are just gorgeous and more fitting a bike in this price range in my opinion.
The other benefit would be the ability to make changes and improvements via software updates. I still think they could give a 12 hour clock option by update.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
320 Posts
Agree with all of your comments Andrew... Especially the size of the clock & Trip... I can't see either!!

My mates have commented that it's not the most modern of digital dashes either, but I wasnt so bothered about the style of the dash.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Andrew,

When I did a test ride on a B3 675 I had the same reaction: terrible instrumentation. Modern Ducatis have the same issues, but they have improved just a bit. The best combo I have seen on a sport bike is the Triumph STR large tach and large LCD display. Better yet, in my opinion: old style analog tach and speedo/odo, and add in clock display, temp, etc as on my Moto Guzzi. LCD electronics with tiny numbers make no sense on a motorcycle. What we need are clear, instant info displays.

Ride well my friend. I am still watching comments on issues with the B3 bikes...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I thought maybe I was just getting too old to see! I also wish the clock and trips had bigger font. I can never see the decimal and just had to remember that there is one number to the right of it.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Whole heatedly agree, a bit of a let down, the only two things I really see when riding is the speedo and gear indicator, the rest of it you can only see when you stop and I've got good eye sight! My mates got a Panigale and it's display is so much better, really nice touches like the rev counter, as you accelerate each number as you pass it on the rev range is animated, enlarging until you get to the next one. I seem to recall the Rivale one is clearer being black on white/grey but not sure if the digits are any larger?

·
Registered
639 Posts
I've looked around and can't find any threads on this issue, so I'm just going to throw this out there...

What to others think of the dash styling? I've seen some comments on the UI and how difficult it is to use. That doesn't bother me particularly, although it could be a bit more user friendly. What I'm wanting to know is how do people find the display?

It is well publicised how much effort MV put into the design and styling of their bikes to get them just right. By and large, those physical attributes are not only beautiful, but user friendly. However in my opinion, this doesn't extend to the dashboard. I guess it looks kind of styley, but I don't find it terribly easy to use.

For example, the rev-counter numbers are in a tiny bold italic font. They just look like black blobs when I'm riding and the dash is vibrating. I'm considering asking one of the kids for a small sticker - a star or something - to stick above the 5, so I can instantly get my bearings at a glance.

Another thing I can't get over is how ridiculously tiny the time is. Since I commute on my bike every day, I look at the time quite often. The trouble is, I need to lean forward, squint and focus on it for a good 1 or 2 seconds to a) find it and b) read it. This can be seriously dangerous in heavy traffic. Also because it only displays in 24 hr format, I can only usually read the minutes. It really is so tiny I'm not sure why they are bothered at all.

The trip meter is also less than ideal - it takes concentration to read, and I usually have to guess where the decimal is. The speedo is adequate, and I don't have too much difficulty picking out the gear indicator.

Maybe it sounds like I'm a bit picky. I know the reputation of Italian vehicles was that there are certain compromises that you just have to endure - the overall experience is worth it in the end. However I thought times had changed and MV were putting serious effort into getting all their design right. Great aesthetics is one thing, but great aesthetics with superb functionality is surely the holy grail.
It could be my eyesight is extremely good, but I have no problems reading my revs, time and trip meter.

Those fancy color LCD displays sure look great but some of my friends complain about visibility during sunny conditions.

If you look at the advertising of the new Turismo Veloce you'll see it has a color LCD display.
Not sure if the final version will have this...?

·
Registered
742 Posts
I never even look at the dash. Only when i see a speed camera i look to check my speed. Most of the times it's dead on. My built in speed sensor only gets upset after an hour of highway riding.
Only during the first 1000km's i looked at the RPM. Then it's hard to see so i added some shiny stickers.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Dash sucks....
Can't see a thing.
My solution. :crazyeyes

Don't laugh it works

Attachments

·
Registered
320 Posts
:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

·
Registered
5,045 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Where'd you get those? Seriously.

Drug store readers $8. Hot glue holds them in place. Doesn't damage the shield. Can read the dash and iPhone. :drummer:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts