MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys I need some help. I had a datatool 4 alarm on my bike (MV F41000S) until yesterday when it seemed to mess things up gig time. I I went to start my bike up and the alarm went off I pressed the keyfob to stop the alarm and 30 seconds later it was off again. The alarm wouldn't properly imobilise and just kept going off. I could also see that there was no power to the bike as the digital display and and the lights etc. were not working.
I checked the fuses nothing there and stuck an optimate battery charger on the battery to charge it as I figured that the battery was dead or something.
As this did not solve the problem I called the shop who installed the alarm and as they are in the UK and I'm in France and could not find m MV dealer in France who were open or interested enough to help fix my problem I got the UK dealer to talk me through removing the alarm. With the alarm now removed my bike now starts but the lights work etc. but the dash display (rev counter and digital display) don't work. The neutral light works as does the back light on the display but the dash does not.
I've checked the fuses and called the dealer in the UK who says that there's nothing else he can do without seeing the bike!!

Anyone here know what's wrong and what I can to to put it right??

:cry:

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
Sorry to hear about this, but i'm afraid i can't help you as i'm not at all inclined to solving electrical/mechanical problems.
And i presume you're checked the obvious, like a bad fuse or a broken cable?

Anyway.......... you MV is still under warranty so make them install a new dashboard if that one is not easly fixable.

And if it's something irreparable, don't forget i've been desperatly looking for an MV dashboard plastic case :naughty: because my original one got broken in an accident.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Sorry to hear this Mike, do you have anyone nearby who has a MV that you could swap the instrument panel over to check it's the actual panel which is at fault? I do have a panel from a F4 750 but the tacho is defective.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
john said:
Sorry to hear this Mike, do you have anyone nearby who has a MV that you could swap the instrument panel over to check it's the actual panel which is at fault? I do have a panel from a F4 750 but the tacho is defective.
Then you could sell me the case, John :naughty:

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
It's the one we spoke about before Tiago, the case is damaged I'm afraid :bawling:

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Hi Mike,

I cc'd you on the email but don't know myself. Backlighting and bulb indicators working but no LCD display is very troubling. Hopefully one of the UK guys with more alarm experience can help! There has been a lot of conversation on the effect of alarms in the UK in the past.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JamesC said:
Hi Mike,

I cc'd you on the email but don't know myself. Backlighting and bulb indicators working but no LCD display is very troubling. Hopefully one of the UK guys with more alarm experience can help! There has been a lot of conversation on the effect of alarms in the UK in the past.
Thanks James, Tiago, John and everyone. I hate alarm systems for this reason and only installed it as the insurance company insisted on it. I've had two bikes stolen in as many years which is why I now live in France!!
If anyone has any ideas on what I can do to fix this please let me know. Tomorrow I'll ride the bike to my two local dealers one in Cannes and the other in Nice and see if they can be bothered to help. Normally when a rider turns up in obvious distress you would expect them to do what they can to help. Anyway if I can't sort this myself I'll heading round to the MV dealership, though when I called earlier tdoay before I uninstalled the alarm they were not particularly helpful. :banghead:

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
Maybe you can try to contact alkatraxx as he's a french MV dealer. Although i don't know where in France he's located.

If you can fix it will you have to get back to the UK to get it replaced or fixed under warranty?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MV-999R said:
Maybe you can try to contact alkatraxx as he's a french MV dealer. Although i don't know where in France he's located.

If you can fix it will you have to get back to the UK to get it replaced or fixed under warranty?
I'm not sure that the warranty would be valid in France especially as it was the dealer installed alarm tha led to the problems getting the bike back to the UK will take time, money and hassle and so I'll try again to get a local dealer to sort it out if I can't fix it myself :confused:

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
reptile said:
I'm not sure that the warranty would be valid in France especially as it was the dealer installed alarm tha led to the problems getting the bike back to the UK will take time, money and hassle and so I'll try again to get a local dealer to sort it out if I can't fix it myself :confused:
If you want i can send you my damaged tacho (just the case is broken, all the rest works fine) so you can check if it's your tacho or some electrical thing, and then you send it back again.
Let me know if you need it, no problem.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Please I need the answer 2 this question also, a friend of mine has a F4S, and the dash isn't working (he bought it from sum1 used so it doesn't have a waranty). I am guessing that either a connection is loose between the snap connector, or I have to check where the wire covers are, or etc, pls PM me if you figure out what is wrong with yours so I can help my friend fix his, so I get on his good side, and he will sell it to me cheap :) .
BTW I have heard that people who live by the ocean have corrosion problems so that might b it 2.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Hi guys - my dash has been intermittent ...working sometimes and then not at all!

My dealer found a bad connection behind the head light somewhere, it took a bit to find it I had checked fuses etc and sprayed everything with WD40. Maybe vibrations or something had broken the wire.

Goodluck with yours. You will just have to check all the wiring circuitry behind the front fairing!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I've still no idea how to rectify this but at least I now know that this is a problem that other guys on this forum have had. I'll take it to the dealers here in France and if they won't look at it then I'll just have to trailer it back to the UK!! :banghead:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
MV-999R said:
If you want i can send you my damaged tacho (just the case is broken, all the rest works fine) so you can check if it's your tacho or some electrical thing, and then you send it back again.
Let me know if you need it, no problem.
Thanks for the offer but my hunch at the moment is that it's a wiring problem! :errr:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I've now got my bike back and the digital dash is now working as it should. It was a wiring problem. There was not enough current getting to the dash due to the wiring being cut and re-soldered etc. My wiring loom was a real and it has all been replaced.
Never again will I install another alarm!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Not sure if this is relevant to the discussion at hand, but I am having issues with my Neutral light on my Brutale.

The light functions properly upon start-up during the ignition test of the instrumental panel. Then, fails on-going and does not light up when the bike is actually in Neutral.

My local MV shop has told me that it's the Neutral Sensor failing. Has anyone heard of this issue before?

Perhaps the related thread topic is involving a sensor also?

Bg-ATL

·
Registered
79 Posts
Well I don't think the alarm install was the problem. Seems to me more like the person installing it didn't know what he/she was doing. If I were any of you I'd be very careful on who I let touch the electrical systems. Personally I do all my own work, I simply don't trust anybody (except for one dealer and a specific technician in that dealership , ie Jim Davis and Nichols Mfg).

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You are absolutely right the electrics should never be left to just anyone and I will be very loath to allow nyone but a factory trained technician / mechanic near my bike again.

golzbra I hav heard of the neutral sensor failing before on Ducati's and that's a pretty easy fix, maybe that could be the problem!! I hope that you get it sorted

1 - 20 of 22 Posts