MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a young lady here in So Cal who needs some help. Insert your own jokes here, but she really does need help.

She owns a 2015 f3. Last Sunday, the bike started giving her incorrect gear shift readings on the dash. IOW, the readings didn't match the gear she was actually in.

Then the horn started working intermittently, and finally, the bike started shutting off while she was riding.

Obviously this is an electrical issue. I know, I know, highly unusual for an Italian bike. LOL! I'm hoping that you can provide us with a checklist of things to look for in the order of most likely first.

I don't want to put any pressure on you, but I told her that you guys were good!

BTW, she's a Brazilian beauty, a flight attendant, owns seven bikes, and does track days at Willow Springs in the B Group. I think I'm in love, LOL!

I live near Topanga Canyon and Mulholland now, and I met her at the famous Rock Store above Malibu two weeks ago. Yep, I'm becoming a regular "So Cal Bro"

OK, if you help me figure this out, I'll post up her pic :)

Thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
847 Posts
Hi Bob,

Is the bike still under warranty? Seems like a silly question, but I had quite a few issues with mine and the dealer resolved many if not all of them under warranty. Water impeller upgrade, bad fuel lines, among others.

Cheers, James

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, she has an appointment with the MV dealer in Newport Beach next week. I believe the bike is a 2015 and still under warranty. She was hoping to ride it this weekend, so I thought I'd take a shot at fixing it.

No worries, she has other bikes, and I offered her one of mine if she wants. I'm assuming that it's a loose connection at a plug or some other simple fix. That or a whole new wiring harness.

·
Administrator
20,348 Posts
Does sound like a bad connection...and first thing I would look at would be grounds.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
All known issues if same as early versions, do a search. Wrong gear, replace sensor. Horn, check connections to horn. Engine stops, check kick stand. Others reason almost too many to list.

·
Super Moderator
22,615 Posts
If this bike had an SPU, I'd suspect that.

Everything you are mentioning only has the ground connection in common. Without going into the wiring diagram and spending hours doing an analysis, I would take the fairings off, unplug every multi-pin connector, clean and reassemble them and then check every ground point for visible, or invisible, corrosion. Wipe each connecting point and use a corrosion inhibitor and reassemble.

For this routine I would also do the ECU connections.

Apart from that, check the wiring loom for cuts and shorts.

·
Super Moderator
22,615 Posts
Low voltage could be a culprit.....:jsm:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all for the helpful advice. I will post the babe w/bike pic tonight.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK, now I need help. I've tried to post her pic, but I can't figure out how to do it, and there aren't any 8 year olds nearby to do it for me. The best I can offer now is to send it to one of you via regular email and have you post it for me (us).

Please email me at [email protected] and send me your email address.

After all this buildup, I should warn you that this pic was taken at the Rock Store, and Eliana is fully dressed in her racing suit, replete with boots and helmet hair. IOW, not her best look. She has personality plus which I think does come through in the pic. BTW, I saw her again today, explained what I wanted to do, and she is OK with it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LOL! Good one Midget.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Added picture for Bob.

Hi Donsy,

I just attempted to send you the pics, but a prompt came up saying that it appeared to be an invalid address. It also asked if I wanted to send it anyway, which I did. Let me know whether or not it came through.

The address' I sent it to:
teamdouble3ATbigpondDOTcom
[email protected]

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Yup , bottom one is good. Lying in hospital again at the moment Bob (angiogram) but will be home in a few hours, will let you know if it's there mate.

There you go mate. I'm fine, will email you.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts