MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Thanks for sharing the vids. Its comming up to summer in Australia and with high performance bikes so cheap to purchase I bet there will be more deaths on roads like these.

This happens everywhere on weekends around the world. In Sydney Australia, we have the Old Road and speed zones has been dropped from 100km/h to 80km/h and now to 60km/h.

Its only a small minority of riders (experience and inexperience riders) that f*cks it up for the rest of the riders, drivers and locals. I don't understand why, but for only $100-$150 you can go as fast and as long as you want on a safe close circuit race track every weekend. I've personally seen a couple of deaths on this road and its not a pretty site.

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm in that crap news report (part 1).

It was the maiden voyage for the MV.

Our group is in the very first section with the bikes, and you can see the MV as it fades to a cruiser in the next section.

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
You can't beat the laws of physics. Bike doing 153mph and a SUV at 45mph in the opposite direction. If they would have collided, its like hitting a brick wall at close to 200mph!!! No wonder the locals are pissed.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
I love the high and mighty tone they have when they were putting others and themselves at risk by parking on the side of the road as they did. I could be wrong but I had the understanding that the side of the road was for emergency use only. I hate effin new reporters.

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
Yeah, I'm all for riding quickly, but I'm a bit weary of blind corners and doing it on such populated roads. There are some racerboy type roads out here, but a few are not really through roads so have few-ish cars.

if you are pushing it like you are on a track, you should be on the track.

:conveyer:

still, the report is pretty slanted to giving bikers a bad name. I guess some of it is deserved. But the 'biker' say was about 5 seconds at the end of the few minute piece. oh well.....

·
Registered
105 Posts
You know after listening to the report again I'd agree for the most part.

However are several parts that really single out the sportbikes.

Many car clubs frequent the loop racing up the mountains aswell. Also the reporter makes several references to the loud sportbikes. A sportbike while loud makes half the noise of say a Harley with straight pipes.

If your going rail or want to push it take to the track as someone else mentioned.

The loop is quickly becoming another Deals Gap with the volume of riders visiting.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
SOULRIDER said:
However are several parts that really single out the sportbikes.

Many car clubs frequent the loop racing up the mountains aswell. Also the reporter makes several references to the loud sportbikes. A sportbike while loud makes half the noise of say a Harley with straight pipes.
I 100% agree here.

It's my experience that I see more Harley or cruiser crashes than sportbike crashes, but just not on the curvy roads as much as sportbikes. But they still do their fair share of that too. Almost was me once when I rented a Harley for a trip and found out what a pig it was! And as I sit here in my living room, the vehicles I hear on the busy road 2 blocks away are:

1. Econoboxes with open pipes but no other "performance" modifications (what *&^&*$ point there is in that I will never know).
2. Harleys or their derivatives.

In that order.

In the mountains it would be sportbikes, then Harleys, then cars, and there are surprisngly more loud exotic cars than I thought there were.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
One thing I learned is not to piss off the locale residents or "commuters" also going through the canyons. Last thing I want is to for someone to make a complaint and then have the locale cops set up speed traps there. Sounds like the opposite this these guys who want to show how fast they are. :)

·
Registered
178 Posts
acruhl said:
I 100% agree here.

It's my experience that I see more Harley or cruiser crashes than sportbike crashes, but just not on the curvy roads as much as sportbikes. But they still do their fair share of that too. Almost was me once when I rented a Harley for a trip and found out what a pig it was! And as I sit here in my living room, the vehicles I hear on the busy road 2 blocks away are:

1. Econoboxes with open pipes but no other "performance" modifications (what *&^&*$ point there is in that I will never know).
2. Harleys or their derivatives.

In that order.

In the mountains it would be sportbikes, then Harleys, then cars, and there are surprisngly more loud exotic cars than I thought there were.
Quick thread hijack.....

I'm actually curious about something acruhl. After seeing that FOX clip with the mass quantities of sportbikes in the Georgia mountains, and hearing you talk about obnoxious piped HD's in Tucson, it got me to thinking.

I was recently down your way about a month ago when I picked up my 750 from a fellow in Phoenix and used my cousin's house in Tucson as a base for a few days.

I had the chance to ride the Mt Lemmonn road and I was really surprised at the nearly complete lack of sportbikes. It was a beautiful Saturday yet the only sportbike I recall seeing was a Xerox 999 who was being written up by a sheriff's deputy on moto. I saw scores of HD's/cruisers/choppers and adventure bikes, but really zero sportbikes.

Is that really the norm in your area? It struck me as very odd. That ratio is the norm in my particular part of the country, but the good bike roads here are extremely few and far between. I mean, if I lived in Tucson I'd be up that road every other weekend. Roughly 25 miles of wide, well-maintained two-lane that dead ends at the top. Beautiful stuff!

I guess I just expected to see a larger non-squid sportbike crowd in an area with great roads.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Funny you ask. I was just there about an hour ago. And I hadn't been up there in probably a year (I get enough track riding to get it out of my system).

I saw maybe 40 or 50 sportbikes or so in the 25 miles each way or whatever it is? Including an FZ-1 smashed into the guardrail, paramedics putting a leg split on the rider.

I think it's very on and off up there. If it rains, the water washes the mountains across the road (notice how they are mostly like granite?), and often the gravel that is left is close to the same color as the road. It's just treacherous as hell, especially in the blind corners. I stay away after rain, and I think it did rain pretty good for a few days about a month ago. Also, the cops will police it really, really tight for a while, and then they'll lay off so that doesn't help.

Just an FYI, I have been up there and I'll only see 5 other cars. Or like today where I probably saw hundreds of cars. One time I was on the MV, coming up on a car doing about 32 mph (speed limit is 35). I dutifully waited until the single, solitary passing zone on the entire mountain because he never pulled off as the signs going up and down instruct you to do if you're going slower. And what was it? An unmarked cop car (Camaro). Nailed me for 3 different violations even though I thought I was following the law. $275. I beat it in court though, the guy was a slimebag and I think it was difficult for him to hide that fact.

And I have to admit it, I passed 1 car illegally today. It was just agonizing sitting behind this one, 22mph through corners with 30mph suggested. I think he was taking the piss, cause he sped up when I went around. But anyway. Followed the law for the rest of the way. It was enjoyable for the scenery, but not so much for having to ride that slow on the bike. I need a "real" streetbike...

So did you like it here?

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
These are interesting observations about Tucson, as I was down there Friday and was noting to myself how everytime I go down there there are tons of bikes. I mean, Phoenix has a lot, but in Tucson they are just everywhere, all over town, around the valley, etc. I haven't been on Mt. Lemmon yet though, because I've heard about the traffic and cop issues, but really because it's a long ride for me to get there, and it may not be that great, when I can ride the same distance in the opposite direction to Yarnel and Whitespar and never be dissapointed.
But I wonder, what is it exactly about Tucson that attracts so many motorcycles?

·
Registered
178 Posts
acruhl said:
Funny you ask. I was just there about an hour ago. And I hadn't been up there in probably a year (I get enough track riding to get it out of my system).

I saw maybe 40 or 50 sportbikes or so in the 25 miles each way or whatever it is? Including an FZ-1 smashed into the guardrail, paramedics putting a leg split on the rider.

I think it's very on and off up there. If it rains, the water washes the mountains across the road (notice how they are mostly like granite?), and often the gravel that is left is close to the same color as the road. It's just treacherous as hell, especially in the blind corners. I stay away after rain, and I think it did rain pretty good for a few days about a month ago. Also, the cops will police it really, really tight for a while, and then they'll lay off so that doesn't help.

Just an FYI, I have been up there and I'll only see 5 other cars. Or like today where I probably saw hundreds of cars. One time I was on the MV, coming up on a car doing about 32 mph (speed limit is 35). I dutifully waited until the single, solitary passing zone on the entire mountain because he never pulled off as the signs going up and down instruct you to do if you're going slower. And what was it? An unmarked cop car (Camaro). Nailed me for 3 different violations even though I thought I was following the law. $275. I beat it in court though, the guy was a slimebag and I think it was difficult for him to hide that fact.

And I have to admit it, I passed 1 car illegally today. It was just agonizing sitting behind this one, 22mph through corners with 30mph suggested. I think he was taking the piss, cause he sped up when I went around. But anyway. Followed the law for the rest of the way. It was enjoyable for the scenery, but not so much for having to ride that slow on the bike. I need a "real" streetbike...

So did you like it here?
Interesting info about the asphalt-colored runoff. :jsm: THAT doesn't sound like fun. Ignorance is bliss though I guess, since IIRC around the time I was there the area had received a higher than normal precip for a few days before. The county sheriff was also running some sort of a checkpoint about halfway up too, so maybe the locals caught wind of it and stayed away for the day. The LEOs seemed pretty cool though and really liked the MV.

How did I like it? You mean apart from the fact that a metro area with ~1M people has only one, lone, diagonally running highway/interstate to get around town on? :ahhh: It had to be the craziest, most unchecked and unplanned urban sprawl I've seen to date.

My cousin lives in the NW part of town (off of a street called Silverbell) and it took me nearly 50 minutes to get the the base of the road up Lemmonn. IIRC it was only something like a 15 mile distance. Had no choice but to take surface streets across an entire city with 1M in population. Crazy! :banghead:

But there were plenty of positives otherwise.

I really liked those suburbs that backed up to the base of the mountains on the NE part of the area (Oro Valley and Catalina). I'm really not much of a yuppie-starbucks type, but I really dug it for some reason.

You may laugh here, but it was also my first time in the desert SW. I don't think I'd want to live in the climate, but it was really unique seeing the surroundings and the scorpions and rattlesnakes around my cousins house. Never saw the crazy pig thing you guys talk about though. :)

And lastly, what's not to love about a BCS D1 college town in a hot climate (if you catch my drift)? :smoking:

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
As for unplanned urban sprawl... I think Vegas isn't much better. Although I will agree that traffic is a problem. Luckily I work 6AM to 3PM so I bypass the bulk of traffic on a daily basis.

There are a ton of bikes in Tucson, yes. I lived in San Diego for a while though, and there are honestly even more there, you see them a lot more. And on a nice day in the UK, they come out of the woodwork even more so than anywhere I've seen in the US. The UK is bike crazy, way more so than the US. Well, sportbike crazy anyway. We have 100 times more Harleys and cruisers though.

I think there are so many bikes here for a lot of reasons, but mostly because the weather is usually pretty good, not much rain. Traffic sucks, and you can get through it a lot quicker on a bike. Insurance rates aren't too bad here. Cost of living is pretty low... I think it's a lot of factors. I'm not sure about there being more here than in Phoenix though? That's surprising.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts