MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys !

This week-end, some friends an me are of for a bike trip to Normandy (Dieppe-Treport).

It will be the last big trip with the daytona ... hoping that the Brutale 675 will arrive somewhere end June ... let's hope .... ;-)

Anyway, I need a new helmet but can't decide on the color : a black one or a red one .... The B3 has the red silver color sheme ...

Do you guys have any preferences ? Shoei, Arai, ..... ?

Thanks !
Koen

·
Registered
396 Posts
Shoei and Arai fit different head shapes, my shape is fit better by Shoei, but the size is in the middle of a small and medium, so I bought a medium and replaced the pads with a larger set to shrink the interior, fits great.
Shoei x-11

Attachments

·
Administrator
20,073 Posts
I like my Bell Star.....with a transitions visor!!!!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Shoei and Arai fit different head shapes, my shape is fit better by Shoei, but the size is in the middle of a small and medium, so I bought a medium and replaced the pads with a larger set to shrink the interior, fits great.
Shoei x-11
This is a beauty, looks 'Italian' ...
Think I'm gonna go for something like yours as color scheme. I'll go and get if friday. Will let you know guys !

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I love my SHOEI and, while I have a black helmet DONT GET A BLACK HELMET. Sucker gets hot in the midday sun. My next one will have a decidedly Italian color scheme. I think to tide me over I might find someone who is creative do mine up with retro-reflective tape or something.

·
Registered
396 Posts
This is a beauty, looks 'Italian' ...
Think I'm gonna go for something like yours as color scheme. I'll go and get if friday. Will let you know guys !
the vents work better than any other I've had, cool in the summer and the chin guard really keeps the cold out in the cool mornings. the x-12 is great as well.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, thanks guys.
Oh yeah, what about noise reduction?
It's not gonna be a shark anymore ... I have a shark now, but I have the impression it's not stopping a lot of noise.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I think most important is the fit and noise rather than the color. For what is worth (different heads different fits) last 19 yrs I had these:

Arai. Very good fit almost no noise. Good vision.
Shark. Ok fit some noise. V good vision.
shoei. Excellent fit. No noise. Good vision.
AGV. ..No.

Like I said for you above may not apply. Try them on and see if they are tight fit.

Lastly check accessories prices. I just paid eur65 for a shoei visor because I scratched original. Too expensive.. Shark ia cheaper i think. Arai more pricey.

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
I'm an Arai man....got 6 of them, they fit me perfectly...and the quality is everything it should be .....but if your'e a Ben Spies fan maybe?..what about one of these. (the red one?...with 'free' a black visor?). http://www.thevisorshop.com/acatalog/HJC_R-PHA_10_BEN_SPIES.html
Brian.
PS I pick up my latest Arai RX7 GP limited edition TT 2012 in less than 2 weeks (I already have the others)...expensive...but beautiful!! http://www.thevisorshop.com/acatalog/Limited_Edition_Helmets.html#a19848

·
Registered
126 Posts
I got a Suomy Apex Capriossi. Fits my head better than any other helmet, no pressure points. This is my second Suomy and both are excellent helmets. Lightweight but noticibly louder than other helmets. I wear ear plugs anyway so it doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I love my Shoei, way better than my HJC.
I know its not the best picture, but it'll do.

Attachments

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hey,

I agree with try as many on as you can. Choose the one that best fits your head. If your going to pick a brand that best fits your head, check out YouTube for some reviews because some of the cheaper models are rated better 'bang for your buck'!

I prefer Shoei myself.

My two cents.....

·
Registered
120 Posts
Shoei X-11 here also. Found it to be the best fitting helmet for me. Was thinking about picking up one of the new X-12's.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
One thing I like about shoei is they make 5 bucket sizes so unless your head is really big or small you don't end up with a massive helmet.

·
Administrator
20,073 Posts
One thing I like about shoei is they make 5 bucket sizes so unless your head is really big or small you don't end up with a massive helmet.
That is true of Arai and Bell (the Star anyway) as well....not sure of other brands though.

I have 3 Arai, 2 Shoei (not including open face and half helmets), and 2 Bell Stars....

I go back and forth on the Arai and Bell on the track, but I wear the Bell most all the time on the street because of the Transistion face shield.

The Arais are quieter, but the Bells have better ventilation. Shoeis are good helmets, but I don't use mine much anymore.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, thank you all very much guys for the information !!!

It seems Shoei or Arai have the preference. I'll let you know what it became!

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
I'm an Arai man....got 6 of them, they fit me perfectly...and the quality is everything it should be .....but if your'e a Ben Spies fan maybe?..what about one of these. (the red one?...with 'free' a black visor?). http://www.thevisorshop.com/acatalog/HJC_R-PHA_10_BEN_SPIES.html
Brian.
PS I pick up my latest Arai RX7 GP limited edition TT 2012 in less than 2 weeks (I already have the others)...expensive...but beautiful!! http://www.thevisorshop.com/acatalog/Limited_Edition_Helmets.html#a19848
I just went to your visorshop website to snoop around. Cool website selling nifty helmets. I gotta ask, who's gonna pay GBP2400 for the carbon fiber Arai RX7? I'm not sure what the current dollar exchange rate is, but unless one US dollar buys 50 or so GB pounds, I'm thinking that price is a bit much.....:naughty:

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Buy whatever fit's your head. That's the important part.

I crashed with an AGV and it saved my life, but wasnt the best fitting helmet. I found that the Arai RX7 fits me best. I do miss the Shoei visor mechanism; much easier to use that the Arai.. I had an RF900 for years and it was a great helmet. Their newer Shoei RF1100 and extwelve helmets dont fit my head shape as good as the Arai does.

Try before you buy. Everything that makes you who you are is in that helmet so dont mess around with buying one for the looks or a cheap price tag. Buy one that fits so it will protect you best.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I do miss the Shoei visor mechanism; much easier to use that the Arai.. I had an RF900 for years and it was a great helmet. Their newer Shoei RF1100 and extwelve helmets dont fit my head shape as good as the Arai does.
Thankfully they fit me because I concur on the visor mechanism. Its really well thought out and doesnt seem fragile for how complex it is. My only regret is getting black (I hated my helmet at the time, too heavy and ventilation wasnt as good) because nobody stocked the color I wanted.

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
I just went to your visorshop website to snoop around. Cool website selling nifty helmets. I gotta ask, who's gonna pay GBP2400 for the carbon fiber Arai RX7? I'm not sure what the current dollar exchange rate is, but unless one US dollar buys 50 or so GB pounds, I'm thinking that price is a bit much.....:naughty:
Totally agree Randy it works out @ $3759.14 USD!!
NO WAY I'd pay that!...you could get a motorcycle for that!
I have to say the price of the latest 2012 Arai TT helmet (£775) is in my view too much but I'll reluctantly pay it...(they've been creeping up more and more every year) and at the moment that is as much as I am prepared to pay for a helmet...considering it's gonna get put in a 'cabinet' along with my others!.
Glad you liked their site...they're not too far from me but I gotta admit I'm not in their store too often.....(the wife doesn't allow it:laughing:)
Brian.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts