MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Picked up the March 15 Cyclenews ---Open Clash: Six Liter Bike Shootout---

The MV lapped Willow Springs Big track 1 second faster than the K5 (and all others) and scored 4th of 6 over the ZX and R1.

Losing to the 999s and Honda due to front brakes that don't start to bite until the lever is near the bar.

999s had the best brakes of the test and writers openly wondered what the MV could do with them........

I say the new Senna or F4 Mille w/Brembos could have earned 2nd to the K5

Just a reminder I have some for sale :)

Eric 805-501-0952

·
Registered
124 Posts
Have stock brakes, once seated in properly and I have old vacum cleaner belts whick I used to hold the brake lever closed for 48 hrs... They have lots of grab and feel. An old trick I used on my CBR.

·
Registered
479 Posts
zoom2bemv said:
Have stock brakes, once seated in properly and I have old vacum cleaner belts whick I used to hold the brake lever closed for 48 hrs... They have lots of grab and feel. An old trick I used on my CBR.
Yeah, with the weird brake line design, I wonder how much of the "problem" the testers are feeling is a bleeding issue.

I had mildly inconsistent brakes at Buttonwillow last week, and I still believe it was air in the lines. (though I spent quite a bit of time bleeding them the night before.)

Although, the Munroe Motors guys, who have the same Brembo MC I have, still were saying the Nissin calipers are a step off. The guy riding their bike at B-willow was one of the testers for the Cycle News test, and they were talking about the fact it lapped fastest.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, the cover is still 4 sale.

All three testers set there best hot lap on the MV. I completely agree about getting a proper bleeding done. My lever feel was actually pretty good from the dealer, just not enough stopping power compared to the 600rr I just came off. The Brembo's pictured are on the level of AMA works stopping.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
0700 said:
that's pretty damn good for a stock bike.

my best out there on a 600 is in the low 1:30's - stock R6. and i wasn't racing, just some track day stuff. actually, i've never raced.

i REALLY want to take the MV out there, but i have to admit, i'm a little worried about wadding it. i'll just have to get over my fears.

they say what tires they were using for the testing?

alex

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
They we all on BT-002s a new DOT legal road race tire.....must be similar to a pilot power.

FWIW: My friends 25yr old son does 1.27's on a 2002 Honda F4i all day long with 208rr's.....

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
i've run that bt-002. it's my tire of choice now. the rear is unreal. probably the best i've ever tried. the front is good, not great - michelin power race is better (imho). but it works good for me.

as for lap times, i'm not very quick. i'd like to learn how to go faster. maybe find someone who'd be willing to give me some pointers.

but i suppose i need to get out there more than once a year! that would probably be a good start.

next time, i may put the MV out there...

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
^^^ I don't actually have the story. I just took a few moments at a local bike shop to skim the section on the MV.

I may still go buy the issue. It's probably worth a closer look than the quick glance I gave it.

However, I have a question about posting stuff like that. Isn't it a violation of the Cycle News copyright?

And here's where it gets personal for me. I know Blake Conner, the author of the story. I consider him a friend. If I post that story, is it like I'm taking money from my buddy?

Just curious how people feel on this one.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I sent an email off to Blake @ Cycle News. He thinks the brake problems will be solved with a radial master cylinder from Brembo, just like the Munroe Motors MV. Tom Montano, the rider for that bike, was part of the Cycle News test riders and probably offered that bit of advice. Blake thinks that the stock hardware is good, just that master cylinder isn't large enough.

He really liked the handling - said the bike was easy to setup. He said the weight was felt in the tighter sections (turns 3,4,5), but that the MV really made up ground in the high-speed areas because it was so stable and could carry so much momentum.

Also, some good news for Blake. He's moving on to Cycle World, so look for his stuff there!

Alex

·
Registered
279 Posts
zoom2bemv said:

do you do that after the bike is parked? and does the brake feel change over the course of a long ride?

·
Registered
479 Posts
altoon said:
I sent an email off to Blake @ Cycle News. He thinks the brake problems will be solved with a radial master cylinder from Brembo, just like the Munroe Motors MV.
I think the separate brake lines they have are important too. I have the same Brembo MC and with new fluid had a bit of unpredictability in the brakes. I'm thinking I had some air in the lines that didn't bleed out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts