MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Cutting Out *FIXED*

I picked up my Brutale on Monday. I have about 80 miles on it so far. My issue is that it seems to run on 2 cylinders sometimes. It will run fine most of the time, but sometimes it seems to only fire on 2 or 3 cylinders. It seems random, like, I will get on it a little and the power cuts out, and when I come to a stop light the idle will drop down to 1000 rpm and run really rough. I can hear a bit of pre-ignition when it does this when applying throttle (taking off from stoplight) between 1000 and 2000 rpm. I have ran one tankful of gas through it with 1 oz of stabil. The 2nd tank, I put 3 oz of stabil in... My mechanic says that I have water in my tank. Does this sound correct?

Should I put something else in the tank to get this water out of my tank?

EDIT: Yeah, I already got pulled over by the man, this bike is nuts!

·
Registered
522 Posts
when your running on all 4 you'll be on there xmas list.it's a hard bike to go slow on but it's fun as hell hope you get your problem worked out.

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I got some bad gas, but you never know... The mechanic asked Ferraci about it, and they said it sounded like bad gas as well. I will know more later, cause I am gonna run at least a couple of tanks through tomorrow and see what happens.

What do you guys think of putting the STP stuff in the tank? Isn't it supposed to absorb water?

Edit: Come to think of it, I think I am going to run a few tanks of the 101 race gas that I use on my Tuna, it never has problems with gas.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, this is a brand new 910S. I just picked it up on Monday. I have put 80 miles on it so far.

·
Registered
968 Posts
If I were you I'd be taking it straight back to the dealer. You've just spent a significant amount of money at the dealership on the bike, the least they can do is source the problem for you (ie bad gas or not bad gas).

Kick up a fuss if you need to! Their job is to look after you.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I just got back from the dealer.
#2 and #3 cylinders no longer fire. There is a strong smell of gas when the bike is running.
So far he changed the coils, the spark plugs, the ECU, and the FI rail w/injectors. No luck. He is checking the valves next.

He said the he WILL get the bike running correctly tonight. I should be able to pick up the bike tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
803 Posts
OUCH...I feel for you, bike being so new and all. It must be fustrating for you.

My bike leaked oil from the valve cover gasket at 1200 miles and I had to take it to the dealer twice (total of 7 days in the shop) to get it resolved. It was fustrating as hell for me.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the empathy. When this bike ran well, it was amazing. With all the work that went into it today, it ought to be a bullet proof engine now. I am amazed by my dealer though, OKC has the best MV dealership in the state of Oklahoma. OK OK, so they are the only dealer in Oklahoma.... but they do work hard to make sure that I am happy. I have had quite a few bikes, and I have never had a dealer so intimately knowledgeable about the inner workings of the bikes that they sell than these guys. I am in good hands. I can't wait to hear "It's all fixed, go have a ton of fun." Too bad tomorrow is going to be really cold. :( I may have a bit of frostbite next time I post... hehehe

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep, Bauer is it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And the verdict:
A bad wiring harness. They have a new wiring harness on order.
He said that a few wires were bad between the coils and the ecu.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Be careful of race gas, you don`t want to run any lead.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The "race gas" that I use is 101 octane unleaded. I have used it for about a year on my Tuono with no issues. The Tuono is very gas finicky. However, since this is electric related, I am going to just run 91 octane premium if I can get away with it. There isn't 93 octane at very many places in Oklahoma. Since the Brutale is still stock, (for now hehe) I see no issue running 91 octane.

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
oicdn said:
Yikes. Are they COMPLETELY sure of this?
I certainly hope so. They replaced everything else. They even checked my valves. I will see when I get the bike back in perfect running order.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
spalding12 said:
sounds reasonable
glad that they were so helpful
sorry that you'll have to wait... who knows HOW long
i hope they OVERNIGHTED it from ITALY
that is the LEAST that MV could do for you

I hope so... If Cagiva were smart, they would have the parts on hand in PA, and just overnight the parts from there. Heres to hoping. :)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
*fixed*

Fixed. I have the bike back and it runs like a banshee again! :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts