MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It doesn’t matter what kind of dealership I contact, they all have sucked! Big Box store that sells used bikes. MV Agusta certified dealer located across the country. Mom & Pop type joint selling Italian brands. They all fail at acting professional. They don’t answer the phone. They don’t return messages. They don’t answer emails. They want non-returnable $300 down-payments that increase by $100 a day until you pick up the bike (even if the bike proves to be a piece of junk once you get to inspect it). They refuse to answer basic questions (even after promising to call you back). Really makes trying to buy a bike a rotten experience.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I'm with you, Bob. Almost, and shamefully, universally accepted now. Same over here.

And you forgot to mention buck passing, and deflecting issues when expressing concerns over something.

Of course the answer used to be: 'Go somewhere else.' Problem is that 'somewhere else' is exactly the same!!:mad:

·
Premium Member
2,897 Posts
Is there a particular reason you need to buy from a dealer? I bought none of the ones below from a dealer, and only one in my life.

Reactions: nigelrb

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No reason to buy from a dealer only...
Here in N. IL, there’s not many options. Bikes are few & far between. There are none available from a private party. A well-known dealer outta California sold a real nice F4 out from under me just because someone walked in with cash AFTER I told him I wanted it. I got cash. I was arranging the transfer of funds. I called back to tell him my task was ironed out and he said,”yeah, I just sold it”. I said “ what about me? I told you I wanted it and just had to call to make transfer arrangements”. He says, “well, this guy walked in with cash”. No customer service. Just because I’m outta state they ignored my “first come first serve” position. That bike shoulda been mine!

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkXzx

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Bought all my bikes form dealers, new and second hand, last time was 10 yrs ago. Only ever had one bad experience and that was in a poor(run down) town in the North of England. Have things gone down hill?

Hey Nige, now we know how you could afford all those lovely bikes, you worked your ass off for them.

·
Premium Member
2,897 Posts
Here in N. IL, there’s not many options. Bikes are few & far between. There are none available from a private party. A well-known dealer outta California sold a real nice F4 out from under me just because someone walked in with cash AFTER I told him I wanted it. I got cash. I was arranging the transfer of funds. I called back to tell him my task was ironed out and he said,”yeah, I just sold it”. I said “ what about me? I told you I wanted it and just had to call to make transfer arrangements”. He says, “well, this guy walked in with cash”. No customer service. Just because I’m outta state they ignored my “first come first serve” position. That bike shoulda been mine!

Happened to me a bunch of times, most recently a Senna from California a few weeks ago. I had my brother meet him at Pro Italia with cash and the morning of he sells it to someone else. It happens and I shrug it off. I'd get nothing done if I whined about every seller/dealer. Leave a Yelp review and be on with the next bike is my motto.

I see lots of rare cars and bikes pop up for sale in Madison, WI for some reason. Do you know why? Might wanna make that part of your search routine.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts

Sorry you missed out on a nice machine, my understanding is that in the UK a deposit goes down straight away and this secures it for an agreed time period. What was the time lapse between when you stated you wanted it and when you got back to them?
A dealer must get folks coming in saying they want a bike and they aren't seen again, without a deposit does a dealer refuse a cash sale when he must generate sales? What are other folks views on this?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A half hour passed from the time I told him I wanted it and when I returned my call to inform him of how the transfer of funds was gonna be handled. Since last fall, 4 have been sold out from under me and one was a “refused to sell” to me....:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Happened to me a bunch of times, most recently a Senna from California a few weeks ago. I had my brother meet him at Pro Italia with cash and the morning of he sells it to someone else. It happens and I shrug it off. I'd get nothing done if I whined about every seller/dealer. Leave a Yelp review and be on with the next bike is my motto.

I see lots of rare cars and bikes pop up for sale in Madison, WI for some reason. Do you know why? Might wanna make that part of your search routine.
Yes, Madison has a lot of action regarding cars & bikes. There’s good money being made there and the cost of living is very affordable

·
Premium Member
2,897 Posts
What model are you looking for?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Right now there’s a 2007 Senna up near Madison. I haven’t seen it. They claim it’s nice. I really want a red bike. The F4 in black& silver doesn’t really do nothing for me. The one that was refused to me was black& white . And I really didn’t care for it. It needs to be red....

·
Premium Member
2,897 Posts
Read the first post. :) 12.5k firm.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I did skim through it. Missed the price though. These cell phone things can be tricky.....
Thanks

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
. . . my understanding is that in the UK a deposit goes down straight away and this secures it for an agreed time period. . . .without a deposit does a dealer refuse a cash sale when he must generate sales? What are other folks views on this?
With exceptions, I agree. A deposit seals the 'verbal contract', AND most dealers when engaging in the sales discussion will actually ask for a deposit to 'take it off the floor'.

However, I also side with Bob on this because I am also from the era of the 'gentleman's agreement' where a man's word is respected. Like other things we have spoken of (etiquette) from the past, there is now a severe shortage of 'gentlemen' working in the sales arena. It truly is p!ss poor though, selling the bike within 30 mins of Bob walking out of the door. Having worked extensively in sales and business, my attitude would have been, and should be, 'We have a guy interested who must have first option. To be fair, we'll give him a couple of hours. You can leave a refundable deposit to secure the bike should he not return.'

All under the bridge now, of course. A bike WILL turn up, and invariably better than the one you missed out on. As caution though, I'd be leaving a deposit in future.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
With exceptions, I agree. A deposit seals the 'verbal contract', AND most dealers when engaging in the sales discussion will actually ask for a deposit to 'take it off the floor'.

However, I also side with Bob on this because I am also from the era of the 'gentleman's agreement' where a man's word is respected. Like other things we have spoken of (etiquette) from the past, there is now a severe shortage of 'gentlemen' working in the sales arena. It truly is p!ss poor though, selling the bike within 30 mins of Bob walking out of the door. Having worked extensively in sales and business, my attitude would have been, and should be, 'We have a guy interested who must have first option. To be fair, we'll give him a couple of hours. You can leave a refundable deposit to secure the bike should he not return.'

All under the bridge now, of course. A bike WILL turn up, and invariably better than the one you missed out on. As caution though, I'd be leaving a deposit in future.
Nige, I have never heard of a deposit not being necessary in a bike dealers, I always saw it in the UK as absolutely essential and don't expect to do business without it. and I'm going back to 1986. It is the dealer telling you it is as good as yours, and me saying to the dealer I actually do want this machine and here's the proof my deposit. The dealers must experience a lot of tire kickers and dreamers and without a deposit how can they tell which you are? The only exception I can think of is if you are well known to the dealer.

The States must operate quite differently from here in the UK. If I ever wanted a bike I would never leave off until my deposit was taken, if the bike was sold from under me after I put down a deposit I would be as mad as hell, but I have not heard of this in the UK. I have heard of being guzumpt(spelling?) in the housing market but that is in the private sector.

1 - 20 of 141 Posts