MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had my buddy whip up an exhaust for my Brutale 800 Dragster. Turned out pretty good, we may block off a pipe or do something to quiet it up a bit, but i'm gonna rock it like this for a while. I dont really want to get a tune until I decide if im going to change it up or not. ECU Studio is coming out with an android app for their software. Id like to at least wait for that before I buy their cable/software. Every forum has those guys that say slip ons without a tune will lead to some kind of engine failure so just want to know how crucial it is for this one.

Attachments

·
Administrator
20,090 Posts
Your fueling will not be very good.....don't be flogging it until you find out which way. May foul plugs from being too rich or burn valves from being too lean. Get it on a dyno now and find out which way the AF curve went.

Most of the time when people make their own pipes they lose lots of horsepower in the process of making more noise. There is serious engineering in the stock exhaust system to get the most and best power out of the engine. You just negated all that.

It does look good though !!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your fueling will not be very good.....don't be flogging it until you find out which way. May foul plugs from being too rich or burn valves from being too lean. Get it on a dyno now and find out which way the AF curve went.

Most of the time when people make their own pipes they lose lots of horsepower in the process of making more noise. There is serious engineering in the stock exhaust system to get the most and best power out of the engine. You just negated all that.
I wont be riding much, if at all, this winter so I will get it on the dyno promptly in the spring. Im not really worried about any loss in horsepower but I would denote most of the engineering in the stock exhaust to be for noise. This thing sounded like a moped to me.

·
Administrator
20,090 Posts
I would denote most of the engineering in the stock exhaust to be for noise.
Not true....

Yes, the engineers do have to meet certain noise regulations in many different countries, and it is true that they target the lowest sound level so the bike will be legal in all markets, but total noise is what they deal with. A lot of engineering goes into reducing mechanical noise from the engine, not just exhaust noise.

But the engineers also have to achieve the highest possible power delivery...and a usable power delivery at that. A balancing act to be sure: power/driveability/sound.

Most small aftermarket exhaust companies cannot match the engineering level of the manufacturer, and home builders can't at all. Just making a louder exhaust does not make the engine more powerful. Without understanding the sound waves present in the exhaust system at differing RPMs and loads you can't build a pipe that makes proper power across the torque curve. Lot's of variables in there.

Anyway...like I said, your's looks nice. I hope it is not too loud and I hope you get a nice torque curve once you get the fueling right. Just remember, "Loud Pipes Cost Rights."

I like a good sounding exhaust as much as anyone, but some bikes are just obnoxious. :wink2:

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
From all the 3 cilinders with another slip on I have seen on the Dyno they were all good on the fueling. Apparently the ecu is regulating quite well. So not too much to worry I guess. For the 4 cilinders on the other hand it is very different; slip on and right away needed tuning.

Reactions: sprygsxr14

·
Registered
12 Posts
So, a QD or HP pipe on a rival may not need really mapping. I know to get the most out of it, remapping would be optimal. Want to add a pipe, slip on, but new to mv and not sure how sensitive the Ecu is. I wonder if a power commander for a brutale will work on a rivale. Has anyone tried this?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts