MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Looks functional.....like most of the GP fitted out race bikes. Aesthetics are a bit sacrificed but i think you may have been going for that utilitarian look, yes? Certainly nothing to be ashamed of.

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Be carefull, what grade Ally is that, you might find it will bend under your weight. I make my own heel guards to keep my foot out of the wheel on the R/H side and they bend all the time.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
No go for me, I wouldn't put on bike if I was you, sorry truth always hurt, CAG have Black Gilles for sale for $350

·
Registered
559 Posts
Pegs look like 6000 series (shine after machining) little tougher. Brackets look like 5000 series (softer) may bend but shouldn't brake. I'd give them a try.

·
Super Moderator
7,346 Posts
I think you've made them a little on the big side.They seem to dwarf Joseph, Mary and the baby Jesus in the lower left corner of the first picture.....

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Since the rearsets are an integral part of bike safety I would be incline to use use at least the stock rearsets.

If you wanted after market rearsets, go for at least the FBF rearsets. Great value and you know its going to work and has fully adjustable positions.

http://www.ferracci.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=929

With the Aussie dollar so strong you can get the FBF rearsets at a great price!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Good one Smokey.

I've made rearsets for previous bikes as well, yours look fine.

Here is the shifter I made for my Brutale.
I've since rounded it up a bit so must take a new picture.

Nothing better than making something yourself.

Dave.

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Since the rearsets are an integral part of bike safety I would be incline to use use at least the stock rearsets.

If you wanted after market rearsets, go for at least the FBF rearsets. Great value and you know its going to work and has fully adjustable positions.

http://www.ferracci.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=929

With the Aussie dollar so strong you can get the FBF rearsets at a great price!

Yeah good price mate, but he want's GP shift

·
King of Bling
9,819 Posts
Hope you have a good sense of humour !!!

I know you guys are a nice bunch of polite chaps, but surely I can't be the only one thinking.. " Don't give up the day job"..

I think Mr Tamburini's design studio is safe from competition for the time being..

Have a word with CAG and see if he has any spare used OEM rear sets that you can use to have a go at altering the standard shift pattern..

Please no more Fred Flintstone rear sets attempts for MV's.. These are almost as bad as Ade's motorcross foot pegs...:jsm:

:shitfan:

:laughing:

:later:

·
Registered
394 Posts
It is amazing what a determined man, or woman for that matter, can do with a hack saw, file and a drill. I admire your determination and efforts. I bet you had fun making them too.
I make stuff all the time like brackets and stuff like that there. I did make a set of rear sets and clipons once for my Yamaha RD 400 many moons ago and they worked fine but not as nice as yours, I used stainless steel though.
Judging by the thickness of the material you used I would think that the weak point would be the bolting not the bracket itself. I am thinking the foot pegs on my bikes have an 8mm bolt holding them on. One of the Ducatis has a set of Woodcraft rear sets and I believe it is an 8mm as well.
I have done a lot of different things with a saw, files and a drill now that I thnk about it. I built a sweet hunting knife one time using 3/16" thick tool steel and hardened the edge to 59c Rockwell. I worked in a place at the time where there was a metalography lab next door so I had all the right stuff to do it all correctly like the Rockwell tester and a furnace.
That knife turned out beautiful, a sweet 5 inch blade drop point. I used a green fiberglass re-enforced electrical insulating material that looks like jade when polished and attached a brass guard. I had a very talented leather maker build a lined sheath for it and then gave it to my then wife for a Christmas present, I hope she still has it.
That knife fit so well in the hand as to become part of it like one of your fingers. Custom built knives like that one could cost over a thousand dollars easy. The amount of time I put into it was nuts. I started with a slab of tool steel and brought the knife out of it like a sculpture like you did with your rear sets. That knife was one of the most beautiful things I have ever made with my own hands.
Sorry for the :blah: but there is just nothing like making something from raw material with your own hands.
Good job!

·
Registered
643 Posts
I know you guys are a nice bunch of polite chaps, but surely I can't be the only one thinking.. " Don't give up the day job"..

I think Mr Tamburini's design studio is safe from competition for the time being..

Have a word with CAG and see if he has any spare used OEM rear sets that you can use to have a go at altering the standard shift pattern..

Please no more Fred Flintstone rear sets attempts for MV's.. These are almost as bad as Ade's motorcross foot pegs...:jsm:

:shitfan:

:laughing:

:later:

+1000

·
Registered
358 Posts
Really not bad. I would make a couple suggestions for strength and looks. Where they bolt to the bike one side of the hole is radiused right to the hole the other side of each arm has a corner. I would remake them so they the corner radiuses around the hole giving you more metal around the bolt. If that wont fit to the frame right just use the smaller radius, don't counter sink the holes and use bolts that clamp on the flat surface like flanged cap screws. The peg bracket you could enlarge and add a couple more holes for more options then soften the corners. Hand sand all the edges to get the working marks out and then powder coat them.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts