MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I'd give 'Myself' and my Suzuki an early birthday present (mine's on March 29th) by custom making a 'new' set of specially designed Japanese themed bar ends in similar vein to the 'Italian' ones I made for My Brutale 1078rr..http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=71594

I knew from the outset that designing.,inlaying and machining the Japanese 'Flag' into the circumference was going to be the main challenge..especially as it was to incorporate brass 'separating' strips.

With this in mind ..and researching the 'size' relationship of the 'white background' to the 'Red rising sun' I set about the challenge.

I had difficulty sourcing suitably 'thick' white Acrylic (perspex) and in the end used a pair of those ridiculous and grotesque 'Ear plugs' that some people get fitted into their ear lobes...the ones I sourced being 45mm diameter!!!:jsm: and they weren't the largest available:jsm::jsm:.

Anyway as usual I'll let the step by step photos tell the story as the 'project' unfolds which I hope you enjoy.
Brian:)

Attachments

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bar ends to completion:)...and one or two shots with them alongside one of my 'Italian' Bar ends.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Wow! Wow! Wow! Wow! Wow! Wow!

·
Registered
602 Posts
Man,
you are absolutely crazy :drummer::yo::smoking:!!!!!!!!!!!!

How many hours did you spent???

Jochen

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Holy spaghetti! That's incredible! Absolutely fantastic work! :yo:

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
Speechless...

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Cheers Guys..much appreciated!.
You know.,when I initially planned these bar ends I'd intended them to be even more complicated!.
The plan was to have the 'front' part (the portion with the 5 concentric 'rings' in front of the Japanese 'Flag' inlay)...well it was to be 'hollow' only connected by 10 strip rods.
The Idea was that you could look through to a solid stainless 'core' (which would maintain it's weight).

In the end I abandoned that Idea as during the machining the 'hollow' section proved too 'flimsy' and a little bit weak and 'over complicated'.

I wanted the end result to have a beautiful but 'tough' look.

Anyway here are a few photos (for your interest) of that 'failed' and abandoned experiment stopped short!...and a last one of the finished bar ends with one of my Italian ones.

And one of me ...in my usual place!!:laughing:
Brian

Attachments

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Phenomenal craftsmanship!

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
I wish you'd quit showing off Michelangelo......

BTW, I've seen some local guys wearing similar one piece jump suits with custom embroidery........"State Prisoner". Ours are a much more fashionable orange. :stickpoke

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wish you'd quit showing off Michelangelo......

BTW, I've seen some local guys wearing similar one piece jump suits with custom embroidery........"State Prisoner". Ours are a much more fashionable orange. :stickpoke
Sounds a bit too 'LeRoy' for me:)

·
Super Moderator
22,092 Posts
It's the vision in your mind's eye that I really appreciate. The ability to "see" what you'd like to have and then the skill to translate that into reality. Amazing, really.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Well ,what can i say,a true master,artist,all achieved by the mind and a visual eye.Brian if i had half your skill i would be a happy man.just brilliant mate.:mouthwate

cheers eddy

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Thanks so much for your very kind and supportive comments Guys.. it means a lot to me and I appreciate it.

I think when approaching this or any other 'project' you visualise the end result yet construct each section as a 'sub assembly'..,concious of how it will all 'fit'.

I rarely make any drawings.., preferring to 'carry' the process in my head. That way it is constantly being 'revised' and every scenario is well rehearsed and anticipated before and during the actual machining taking place.

Creativity also plays a big part...,and I that realise is carried over from my Model making career where I researched and made 'Master patterns' for a number of companies in that industry.

Oh..,and I just want to say...That is NOT my belly hanging down in that (last) photo of me standing at my lathe:laughing:...
It is most definitely 'just' loose clothing!!...honest!:laughing: (thought I'd mention it..'before' anybody else does)

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Oh..,and I just want to say...That is NOT my belly hanging down in that (last) photo of me standing at my lathe:laughing:...
It is most definitely 'just' loose clothing!!...honest!:laughing: (thought I'd mention it..'before' anybody else does)
No one believes you Brian.....liar, liar, pants on fire.....:stickpoke

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No one believes you Brian.....liar, liar, pants on fire.....:stickpoke
:laughing:Boy oh boy..., Randy!!...I'll wear a belt next time..and make sure I'm breathing in at all times!

But..,but, it's only loose clothing I tell ya!:)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts