MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I knew they were failing, pretty obvious to see. So I got a new set and was kinda holding on to them until I was going to get tires mounted and have it all done at once. So I could see the rubber tearing away from the nut, but thought if I took it easy I could get a few more miles. So rode to a GP viewing party today and just in case, brought the parts and tools with me in a backpack. When I arrived, the bolt part of all 5 inserts was completely against the metal side to drive it forward. I could see light through the huge gap in all of them. So time to switch out. Pretty straight forward swap. Back in business.

So my question is, why am I doing this at 12,500 miles and when have other owners seen failures of this part?

I'll post pics of the damage here shortly.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Like so many things Jason, I think it's a question of which production batch you had on your bike, who made them for MV at that stage.
Maybe also a question of how you ride your bike? I've replaced one set on my bike over the years, but have replaced sets on customers and friends bikes, one on a high mileage 750 and the other set on a low mileage 312R.
Almost like the later versions where not as good quality as the older models, maybe due to MV switching suppliers?
Anyway, the one's I got from Al as well as the Ducati one's I got from eBay seem to be okay.
It would be good to hear what others with the same system have experienced, I know there's been some very low mileage failures of the y10 F4 and B4's but they use a completely different system.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Could just come down to how hard you ride, and the power/torque output from the perspective motor. My friend has a 1999 Ducati 996 with 57000 miles with 1 replacement, but he doesn't ride very hard and rarely in the upper rev range...I'd say pampered miles. What is the normal lifespan for cush drives anyway?

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This new set came from Design Corse. They look better than the stock ones. I had to use a bench vise on the old ones to get the nut off because there was no way to hold it otherwise. The new ones are slotted in the back for a large allen wrench which also made tightening them on install much easier.
92 lbs of torque, last Dyno. I kinda ride the hell out of it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
It would be good to hear what others with the same system have experienced, I know there's been some very low mileage failures of the y10 F4 and B4's but they use a completely different system.
I replaced cush drives on my Brutale 750 at about 38.000 km.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts