MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.bikesportnews.com/news-detail.cfm?newsid=9432

Britain's Cal Crutchlow has sensationally threatened to quit his Monster Yamaha MotoGP team if Spanish Moto2 star Pol Espargaro is given a factory Yamaha contract.

The outspoken Coventry man believes that if a works deal is available, he should be first in line for it given his results over the past two season. He thinks the deal with Espargaro has already been done and is none too pleased.

"They've signed Pol Espargaro. It's none of my business, I don't really care but one thing is for sure I won't ride under Espargaro in my team, so I will be leaving this is clear. Even if the option is given to me to ride there, I won't if he has a factory contract and I don't," said Crutchlow, speaking at Mugello.

"I am not going to be walked over and I think that is only correct. My situation is that I want to be with Yamaha, I want to ride for the same team now but if there is a factory contract being given out, I think I deserve it before him.

"At the moment I'm not too worried, I am riding the bike, I am still determined and motivated but I won't ride under Pol Espargaro. My interest is to stay where I am with a better contract than I have now."

·
Registered
175 Posts
Cal is definitely within his rights to feel as he does! But he is treading on thin-ice going on the offensive verbally.. He needs to shut his mouth and concentrate on riding the wheels off the Tech3 Yamaha, as he's done every race this year! I remember a talented racer by the name of Chris Vermuelen, who i believe lost his factory ride at Suzuki, for been too outspoken in his criticism of their GSVR..

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
I can't blame Cal for seeing it that way.
In my eyes it is obvious where Dorna wants to go.
Sure Spain has had a unparalleled program to search and develop talents.
Financial backed by what ?
They have 4 GP a year were other traditional GP countries struggle to have a GP a year.
If You look at Moto2 and Moto3 You will see that more Spanish riders will head towards a seat in MotoGP.
Although Spain has no plan for their Youth future, they have the cash to pay for MotoGP.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Cal needs to see the bigger picture here:

Last Spanish GP two weeks ago..120,000 spanish race goers:

Spain is a massive Motorcycling market:

Espargaro would probably bring a HUGE sponser (Like Repsol) along as well with MILLIONS of £/$

Just the same as the Rossi/Cal thing, Cal deserves Rossi's bike for sure....................but Rossi brings a lot more than just riding skills

·
Registered
589 Posts
Dorna is a Spanish company and they now own WSB and the CEV, championship of Spain.
Of course they want Spaniards on factory bikes, but it is a mistake to think that Spain has the money for 4 races in Moto GP.
The cost of racing in the CEV, has risen since they took over and will continue to do so imo.
Racing here is geared towards the elite classes. Great if you are in Moto 2 or 3, but unlike the UK and elsewhere, we have very little chance for the ordinary enthusiast to enter a race series.
One season in the CEV, the bare minimum cost is al least 100.000 Euros per bike. Many teams spend much more, and for just 7 races and a 1 race "European" championship.
Talent will get you only so far. As one commentator said, most riders on the world stage did not get there by winning anything. They can afford it, bringing money from personal sponsors to their team.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts

·
Registered
5,578 Posts
Good that he has enough. I have enough of Crutchlow. Let him quit. More room for someone who is really sportive.

·
Registered
614 Posts

Espargaro would probably bring a HUGE sponser (Like Repsol) along as well with MILLIONS of £/$

Just the same as the Rossi/Cal thing, Cal deserves Rossi's bike for sure....................but Rossi brings a lot more than just riding skills
What skills. None on show so far this year. Certainly not the same Rossi who first left Honda and went to Yamaha.

Though he was very unlucky last night.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
614 Posts

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
195 Posts
If I was Cal, I would be pissed too.

Constantly out performing pretty much everyone not on a factory bike (beating the Ducatis is nothing to brag about), yet still not offered anything decent in the way of a ride.

They may as well rename the MotoGP the Spanish Cup.

·
King of Bling
9,818 Posts

I personnally think the older Espargaro is a better rider than the younger Espargaro .. Just because Pol came second to Evel Knievel Marquez last year doesn't make him as good an investment as Marc.

Cal could do himself more damage by thinking he's a Legend in his own Lunchtime than leaving his talking to his race results on the track..

It would be great to see more manufacturers on the grid next year, but there's still no guarantee that Suzuki will be on the line up for 2014..

I'd like to see Suzuki back, but I can't see they'll be up front with the other manufacturers and could be like Aprilia when they tried their hand at Moto GP..

If Suzuki did manage to get on the starting grid for 2014, then Cal would make a great development rider, but does he really want to be a development rider at the back of the field or be up front fighting for a podium position..

Rossi could be the key for Cal's future, and depending on what Rossi does next year might have a factor on Cal's future with Yamaha.

·
Registered
341 Posts
That's surprising, I never had Crutchlow down as a whinger. I'm sure he knows how the game is played and is pissed off it's a done deal and has let that get the better of him. Best for him to keep putting his Yamaha on the podium and see where it takes him for next season.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts

I personnally think the older Espargaro is a better rider than the younger Espargaro .. Just because Pol came second to Evel Knievel Marquez last year doesn't make him as good an investment as Marc.

Cal could do himself more damage by thinking he's a Legend in his own Lunchtime than leaving his talking to his race results on the track..

It would be great to see more manufacturers on the grid next year, but there's still no guarantee that Suzuki will be on the line up for 2014..

I'd like to see Suzuki back, but I can't see they'll be up front with the other manufacturers and could be like Aprilia when they tried their hand at Moto GP..

If Suzuki did manage to get on the starting grid for 2014, then Cal would make a great development rider, but does he really want to be a development rider at the back of the field or be up front fighting for a podium position..

Rossi could be the key for Cal's future, and depending on what Rossi does next year might have a factor on Cal's future with Yamaha.

I can't see Vale stepping down to make way for Cal John, he still has some unfinished business in my opinion. Mugello was a disaster but not insurmountable and I think he can win another title this year or next. Then he can go to cars...or retire....but just imagine a WRC or F1 career on top of his bike years, he's is already a legend but may be the all time King of Speed yet (even above my hero and friend Mike Hailwood ......maybe). By the way I'm glad there's not been a lot of crap about Rossi's crash, Bautista took him out plain and simple

·
King of Bling
9,818 Posts
I can't see Vale stepping down to make way for Cal John, he still has some unfinished business in my opinion. Mugello was a disaster but not insurmountable and I think he can win another title this year or next. Then he can go to cars...or retire....but just imagine a WRC or F1 career on top of his bike years, he's is already a legend but may be the all time King of Speed yet (even above my hero and friend Mike Hailwood ......maybe). By the way I'm glad there's not been a lot of crap about Rossi's crash, Bautista took him out plain and simple
Hey Chris

There is no way Rossi is finished from the sport as yet, but my gut feeling is he's not got another World title left in him... No one has a crystal ball to say who will win the 2013 title, but the current crop of competition is at another level that to win a world championship today you have to be consistently within the top 3 podium positions and be injury free throughout the complete season.

It's to tight at the top nowadays and there's no room for issues or lack of finishes.. I still think it's between Jorge and Dani, with Dani just in front by a hair's breadth.

Hailwood was special and a one off.. He wasn’t a good set up or development rider, but could adapt himself to any bike and ride round handling problems which most other riders would struggle..

Now here’s an opinion that’s going to cause some controversy.. I reckon Stoner as a rider could be the best all-rounder since Hailwood..

I’m not a Stoner fan because of his media personality, but Christ can he ride a bike fast.. Yes, he had loads of crashes in his early years (might have been one of the contributing factors to global carbon fibre shortage :)) but once he got to grips with his limitations.. WOW could he ride a bike fast..

I thought Ducati was on drugs when they signed Stoner, but what do I know and the rest is history..

I think if Rossi has a big off this season trying to get on the top podium step, I reckon he’ll call it a day.. He’s got nothing else to prove, holds most Moto GP records and you might as well go out at the top than to fade away..

Mugello wasn't a big issue and just another racing incident, but if Rossi hurts himself like he did in June 2010, then I think he'll say "enough is enough"..

I prefer my hero’s to retire at the top.. Muhammad Ali is my all time greatest sportsman and maybe even human, and it saddens me when I see him on TV nowadays and I wished he had stopped earlier in his career..

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
Hey Chris

There is no way Rossi is finished from the sport as yet, but my gut feeling is he's not got another World title left in him... No one has a crystal ball to say who will win the 2013 title, but the current crop of competition is at another level that to win a world championship today you have to be consistently within the top 3 podium positions and be injury free throughout the complete season.

It's to tight at the top nowadays and there's no room for issues or lack of finishes.. I still think it's between Jorge and Dani, with Dani just in front by a hair's breadth.

Hailwood was special and a one off.. He wasn’t a good set up or development rider, but could adapt himself to any bike and ride round handling problems which most other riders would struggle..

Now here’s an opinion that’s going to cause some controversy.. I reckon Stoner as a rider could be the best all-rounder since Hailwood..

I’m not a Stoner fan because of his media personality, but Christ can he ride a bike fast.. Yes, he had loads of crashes in his early years (might have been one of the contributing factors to global carbon fibre shortage :)) but once he got to grips with his limitations.. WOW could he ride a bike fast..

I thought Ducati was on drugs when they signed Stoner, but what do I know and the rest is history..

I think if Rossi has a big off this season trying to get on the top podium step, I reckon he’ll call it a day.. He’s got nothing else to prove, holds most Moto GP records and you might as well go out at the top than to fade away..

Mugello wasn't a big issue and just another racing incident, but if Rossi hurts himself like he did in June 2010, then I think he'll say "enough is enough"..

I prefer my hero’s to retire at the top.. Muhammad Ali is my all time greatest sportsman and maybe even human, and it saddens me when I see him on TV nowadays and I wished he had stopped earlier in his career..

Well John, I do agree with you about Rossi if he has a bad injury, I hope none of the guys have bad injuries whether they are my favourites or not, also a big fan of Ali.....but sorry I won't even mention that Aussie in the same sentence as Mike. Sure he was very skillful (and still is) but he was not even on the same page as SMBH, next you'll be telling me he was better than Ago too (who NEVER had a bad crash) ...Mike and Ago are my top two, several others including Rossi are vying for my spot # 3. Ayrton Senna head and shoulders above all on four wheels. Best human ......hey I can't even narrow that down, but in the sporting world, maybe for me it would be Senna. Lots of respect for you John, you always speak your mind honestly, regards C

·
Registered
175 Posts
Rossi just doesn't have the pace it seems, Cal has beaten him in every race but Quatar on the Satellite bike. It also appears any luck Rossi once had, has well and truly deserted him.. He will never win another title, Lorenzo, Pedrosa, and Marquez are all too hungry and too fast!

Bold prediction for this year.. Stoner will do a wild-card ride at Phillip Island on a factory Honda as offered already by HRC, and smash them all taking a 7th straight win there! Pow

1 - 20 of 72 Posts