MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.mvagusta.net/forum/21-customising-performance-section/238775-relocating-front-turn-signals-1090rr.html

With credit to @Tirefriar's post, I mentioned the LED's with switchback that I'd found.

The bike and the strips have arrived so I did a quick cabling update and test last night. The bike is new and needs administration work completed (Compliance, Warrant of Fitness and then Registration) . The plan is to get that completed which provides me with 3 years of coverage before it needs another inspection.

So here's the quick test from last night...

I found a video on You tube this morning that shows the end result.

I'll take some video of the project steps and also day/night view of the mod/bike once completed.

Product link - please not I purchased the 9" strips, they a little long and the 6" versions would have been ideal.
https://www.ledconceptslighting.com/white-amber-led-headlight-strips-profile-pivot-switchback-53725.html

Cheers
Tim

Reactions: Scot p and bogie

·
Super Moderator
22,463 Posts
Please take pictures or video documentation of how you get the original LED out and of how you insert the strip LED.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Please take pictures or video documentation of how you get the original LED out and of how you insert the strip LED.
Hey Chuck, no problem.

The original inserts are two single pieces of clear plastic each with a couple of fins. I think the fins are their to refract the single led light source as they appear to achieve no other purpose. Anyway, that's why the running light looks brighter at one end a little weaker as it gets closer towards the headlight. There is a part# but no reference anywhere across the globe to that part.

The plan is to take a Dremel (high speed) to the fins so I have a flat surface to lay the LED against. I'll leave the original light/cable in place and simple re-cable from the source.

It will be a week or so before I can do the change due to the Bike's administration crap I have to do...but worth the wait.

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
22,463 Posts
HI Tim! This is an intersting mod as it will look Factory and I like that.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Great looking upgrade.

Do you need to order 2 strips or is there 2 in a package ?

cya
Scot.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Scott, two separate strips. E.g there is one led per box. Compliance next week so I'll be doing the mod next weekend and will post up.

·
Registered
548 Posts
looks great and would then allow me to get some small bar end mirrors I like without indicators

watching with interest on the project :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a similar idea to repair one set of 3 LEDS not illuminating on the front indicator to the TVL however, what I need to know is whether there is a constant current driver built into the indicator housing or is that function somewhere within the wiring of the bike itself? Another method to provide the correct drive to LEDs is via a limiting resistor. Would rather know upfront before I start disassembly of indicators/bike. Any one able to help here?

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a similar idea to repair one set of 3 LEDS not illuminating on the front indicator to the TVL however, what I need to know is whether there is a constant current driver built into the indicator housing or is that function somewhere within the wiring of the bike itself? Another method to provide the correct drive to LEDs is via a limiting resistor. Would rather know upfront before I start disassembly of indicators/bike. Any one able to help here?

@silentservice703 - Chuck, did you see you post a wiring diagram a little while ago - this might help @cutloose ?
@cutloose - certainly the B4's with LED's lights have a constant current ...cut, replace and connect and the new LED's work. The mod I'm putting in uses a constant current with the Switch back controlling the change from White to Yellow. The bike's relay unit manages this centrally. I'm not sure about the TVL and given the design changes applied for Euro4, the year model 'might' be relevant too.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My Mod update...the bike is going through compliance, warrant and registration now - it will be back with me on Thursday so I'll be posting updates very soon.

·
Registered
886 Posts
If you do that, please report with all the information. I'm considering this as well for my TV

·
Super Moderator
22,463 Posts

Do you have the TVL manual? There is a god wiring diagram in it.

·
Registered
408 Posts
check your countrys regs , that looks a great mod but the distance between the strips closest point is too short for UK regulations (MOT)

·
Registered
17 Posts
@silentservice703 - Chuck, did you see you post a wiring diagram a little while ago - this might help @cutloose ?
@cutloose - certainly the B4's with LED's lights have a constant current ...cut, replace and connect and the new LED's work. The mod I'm putting in uses a constant current with the Switch back controlling the change from White to Yellow. The bike's relay unit manages this centrally. I'm not sure about the TVL and given the design changes applied for Euro4, the year model 'might' be relevant too.

Thanks Cruiser but I have the workshop manual and the wiring diagram does not provide such detail.
I take it when you say "The bike's relay unit manages this centrally." you mean that the constant current device is housed within the relay therefore its simply "cut, replace and connect and the new LED's work". Correct? I'm not particularly interested in going from white to amber, just want to replace the dead LED(s).

And if I do happen to dissassemble I shall provide details/photos etc.

·
Registered
886 Posts
check your countrys regs , that looks a great mod but the distance between the strips closest point is too short for UK regulations (MOT)
This is likely to be an issue all over Europe. Minimal distance between each blinker is to be at least 240mm as per European regulations (180mm on the rear)

·
Registered
28 Posts
This is likely to be an issue all over Europe. Minimal distance between each blinker is to be at least 240mm as per European regulations (180mm on the rear)
I just oredered 2 of the 3" version, thinking as at far outside edges of the cowel, its close enough to the 240mm required by our Australian standards that mirror euro....will have a play and see how it works out.

Deleivery costs from the US are freaking criminal, even slow boat was $23 (abput $30 AUD )...anyway maybe they will arrive with santa...

Now to find some nice mirrors..Bar end or slimline stalk ?

cya
Scot.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Hi guys, got the bike back this afternoon so spent 3hrs completing the mods...

Before

After

The following posts are the basic steps and also some learnings... for the light mods.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So tonight I did the usual mods + the light changes. These included:
1. Tail Tidy
2. Integrated rear-light/indicators
3. Pillion pegs replaced with Tie-down hoops to fill in the gap
4. Replace Mirrors with Oval Bar end mirrors
5. Integrated a new running light and indicators into the Instrument cowl

Attachments

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Headlight mod - Inside of Cowl
I'd already cut the indicator cables and replaced them with (Blue/Red) connectors in preparation for this modification.

Attachments

Reactions: bogie
1 - 20 of 37 Posts