MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't believe that it happened. I was out Sunday night about 6 blocks from my house stopped at a light. Light changed and I proceed to make a left hand turn. I get half way throught the intersection and I'm on the ground!
I wasn't screwing around or being aggressive. The only thing I can think of is that because it was cold out, about 50 F, and I was only a few blocks from home (on cold tires) I lost traction, maybe gave it too much gas? But again, I was in town, not being a squid... I have to blame it on the SuperCorsa Pros's that are on there. I've been riding Sport bikes for for 20 years, although admittedly on more sport touring tires like Michelin Pilot Roads for the last number of years. There are sideways scuff marks on the tires, but I can't believe they'd be that sensitve to temperature. They are a street tire after all, no?
Most of the damage is cosmetic- mirror, turn signal, clutch lever, gearshift peg, scuffed radiator hose. But I also broke the crankcase cover and am pouring oil- so the bike is unrideable. There is also very slight bend in the frame, right where a frame slider would go. ( I know, I know- I was going to get some sooner or later), but it's not frame damage- just cosmetic. And at least the tank, bars, and the other major components are ok.(BTW I'm fine, I was probably going no more than 10 or 15 mph)
But the bike is only a month old! I put on a thousand or so miles on it, riding it aggresively, but safely, up till now- and now I have the most beautiful paperweight town!
It can be, and will be fixed, and I know that the important thing is that it could have been worse (it always could have been worse
), but man, am I bummed. Especially because it was so benign- not as if I binned it riding like an idiot, or something hit me... Now I have to sit out the last bit of beautiful fall weather waiting for parts. UGH!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Diesel fuel? coolant spill?
Did it cut-out and dump you?

sucks though - glad you are allright, those Santa Fe drivers will run right over you!

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"Too much input or turn-in on the handle bars?" Perhaps that had something to do with it. The bikes I've ridden the past 15 years have all had clip-ons, so the extra leverage of the bars?... I can't say 100% ,"No," but I wasn't riding hard enough to just push it over. And the scuff marks on the tires shows some sideways slipping too

"Diesel fuel? coolant spill?
Did it cut-out and dump you?"
As far as I could see the road was clean. ANd the engine was still running with the bike in gear when it was on its side. I had to reach to the now-broken gearshift lever to get it in neutral...
thanks for the kind thoughts. I'm certainly aware there are people out there right now suffering Much more than I, but it doesn't change that I WANT MY BIKE BACK!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Happened to me in 2001 witha Ducati. I was making a 3-4 mph turn into my parking area after it was dark. What I did not see was a thin film of sand from some landscaping work earlier that day (headlights were pointed out, and not illuminating the ground).

I wound up wearing the Ducati on my left ankle, breaking my collarbone and left thumb after it pinched between the bars and tank. The bike was okay save for needing new rearsets, but I needed to drive myself to OR to get X-rays of my shoulder. THAT was not a fun evening. Good to hear you walked away from your slip, but bummer about the scuffs.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Crashing sucks, especially when there is no good explaination for it. Glad you are ok!

·
Registered
798 Posts
Man, I am having flashbacks.
This just happened on a 749R I just bought from Steve Cullen.
No explanation. Slow speed corner going nice and easy.
Next thing you know the back end slides out and it's all over. Bent swingarm, broken crankcase, etc.

I feel your pain, especially not being able to explain it.
On the bright side, you are ok, and that is the MAIN thing.
It could have been a lot worse if there were oncoming cars, etc.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Happened to me on a 748SP , very similar. It was oil/diesel spilled on the road where cars and trucks stop at the lights. Same thing, first gear almost idling around and bang....gone.

·
Registered
37 Posts
mrossk said:
but I can't believe they'd be that sensitve to temperature. They are a street tire after all, no?
The Pirelli Dragon Supercorsa Pros are VERY sensitive to temperature, but not as sensitive as comparable Dunlops. These are not necessarily a "street tire" per se... they're DOT legal race tires and are designed for higher and extended heat cycles, thus making them pretty slippery when cold and hard to hold heat in every day street riding. They have enough tread to qualify as a street tire for racing purposes, and are not necessarily recommended for wet weather riding due to the shallow tread not providing efficient water evacuation, and the lack of tread on the edges.

So in my professional opinion, the tires were probably cold, and combined with the twitchy response of the brutale's throttle, is probably what contributed to the accident. No real rider error... just a "perfect storm", if you will.

Sorry to hear about the heartbreak, though, but glad you're ok!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Cold tires, cold road, possible slick shit on road surface are responsible for your incident.

Just this past weekend I put the tire warmers on the night before my early am departure. Turned on juice when I got up in am and they were at 80^ at departure.

I am going to do it till the end of the season as mornings are now cool here.

Peter

·
Registered
268 Posts
What can I say. +1. Fortunately on a much cheaper bike for me, where the magneto cover only cost me $40. The oil refill cost just as much, actually.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
-sniff-sniff- what can I say? I love you guys...
But seriously, the folks on this forum seem to be really great. I appreciate the commiseration. Ordered all my replacement parts today- everything's available immediately except for the radiator pipe (which is still serviceable, just chewed up) and I'll now take this opportunity for aftermarket mirrors as the stock is $170 a piece(!)
I guess I suspected the tires would be a little slick when cool, just never thought it'd be so dramatic. Hell of a way to learn a lesson- could've been worse- wish it were better :)

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I agree with Thomas about the Dragon SC pros.

I had a new set fitted to my track bike and they performed very well all day on Sunday using tire warmers. Little bit of rain came during the last session and the tires turned into slippery monsters in the corners due to the lack of tread on the edges combined with a greasy track...I don't have the skill to handle that, so I came in!

After that experience, I wouldn't use them on my Senna for the road.

Glad YOU are ok...good luck. Hope the bike is A1 soon.

·
Registered
572 Posts
sorry to hear about the spill, man. Do consider getting some sliders or at least a thicker crankcase cover, I know I saw one somewhere... Other than that, there's a really huge crankcase slider/replacement from emoto, too.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Sorry to hear about your new bike. I think quite possibly there could be many reasons for your off, from rider error to crap on the roads. I just wouldn't dwell on it too much. Get the bike fixed and get back riding! All the best.

·
Registered
378 Posts
something similar happened to me and my Triumph Daytona on Pirelli supercorsas (SC2 and SC3).
I agree with the statement that they do not grip when cold AND that it is hard to keep the heat in them on the street. They truely are superb on the track and on the road on a warm day, but I find them dangerous to commute on.
just my 2p..

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
My mates 1000S still has the Supercorsa's fitted, he came around the other day, left his bike outside 17degC, I tried sticking my finger nails in them when he was leaving :jsm: they were seriously hard, not what I would want.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Took a dive too because of the SuperCorsa Pros.
Was riding on twisties with my Brute and took a nice lefthand curve....
it was about 5pm and the temperature dropped to about 18°C. No sun was heating the tarmac as i was riding under huge trees.

SuperCorsaPros are definitely the best tires on dry, clean and hot tarmac...while the temperature is above 22°C. Furthermore, if you have to slow down behind cars or stop at traffic lights, the SCPros hate going yoyo like that. They need to be hot all the time...

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Maybe these tires should come with a warning label, or a thermometer that pops up like for Thanksgiving turkey?
On a different note, just ordered Rizoma Limit mirrors and Spiegler sliders...on my way to repair :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts