MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would anyone happen to know where this cracking sound would be coming from? Ive checked all the nuts and bolts and everything is tight.. I can feel it through my handlebars.. Heres a Link of a video i made..

http://youtu.be/68i2R7fJnNs

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Check steering head bearings and also brake disc and pads, does it do this without the front brake applied ? If it does I would look at steering head bearings first. Have you done any work on your forks ?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can hear the cracking up towards the triple clamp.. The bike has 2500 miles on it haven't done anything with the forks.

·
Registered
14,676 Posts
cracks?

don't we love them......?:naughty::naughty:

its not steering head bearings......its fairing noise....plastic snapping past something

do >'09s have an air dam at the bottom triple?.....you know, so shit won't won't fly up off the tire and hit the INSIDE of the bubble

like the gen 1 bikes DON'T have:wtf:

·
Registered
601 Posts
Hi Mvalliance, I agree with Noel, somethings rubbing. I'd inspect the front of the bike, checking for suspect areas, like where the brake lines pass through the Clamps on the forks, or the lines that pass behind the nose cone, or even the plastic to plastic contact point areas on the front of the fairings, maybe spray some silicone on each area, and test. Maybe a cable clamp is rubbing on something?
Good luck.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys I'm gonna take the whole front end apart and check it all out.. I'll have the spray lube ready to go ha..

·
Registered
14,676 Posts
moving?

Mvalliance;
about the only thing that moves near the fairing, when you compress the forks is the brake line

but if the tank is full and the side mounts aren't adjusted so they fully support the tank it could be moving the air tubes etc
i'd look at the brake lines and then pull the tank if it wasn't the brake lines.....pretty much everything else is bolted down and doesn't weigh much

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
I just tried to replicate that sound by unclipping the brake line at the mudguard area and couldn't.

This sounds metallic ?

Check:-

Steering head bearing carrier bolt/pin
Steering head bearing ring
Steering stem top nut

Check steering head bearings for smooth operation and play

Check brake caliper mounting bolts for security
Check brake pads are correctly seated
Check Front Wheel axle nut and pinch bolts

Those checks are safety orientated so are the first I would do.

However,
While looking at my bike I reasoned that if the 2 headlamp shell bolts which secure the lamp to the frame were loose then this could cause quite an accoustic effect as the headlamp is connected to the side plates is connected to the fairing...Maybe ?

joe

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ya it does get really annoying.. It doesn't affect performance but i can feel it in my handle bars.. I checked the brake lines and the clip holders for them and even removed them and that wasn't it. I did just get the tank replaced by my dealer in Livermore so maybe something got crimped or put in a position when the new tank was installed where it would make that noise.. I sent Kregg the video to see what he thinks too.. Ill check all that out GOTOJOE and ill keep you guys updated.. Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts