MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally decided to replace the countershaft seal which I've suspected for a while was the cause of my self lubing chain.
I braced myself for a fight with the front sprocket nut however it was barely tight :eek: I reckon my missus could have undone it :thewife:
Luckily the lock washer was doing its job.
Having removed the sprocket and sleeve I wondered why there is nothing to stop oil from leaking between the splines of the shaft and the sleeve.
I've looked in the parts catalogue and the engine rebuild manual and there doesn't appear to be anything missing so is it just the tightness of the assembly when the sprocket nut is torqued up or am I having a blonde moment?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
For a long time I thought my bike might be leaking around the countershaft, but upon closer examination it turned out to be a combination of oil seapage from the front of the motor and down from the airbox.

Could a plugged crank vent pressure the motor up enough to push oil past the seal? if there aren't many kms on the bike and the chain isn't regularly overtightened, it seems odd the seal would go enough to be a noticeable leak.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had seals go on previous bikes and as we know, oil will find its way out through the smallest gap, especially when its hot, and a little goes a long way. Especially when the chain is flinging it about!
Behind the cover was pretty oily and I've degreased the area previously so I know its relatively fresh. One thing that may have contributed to the leak is that the oil level was high, as in somewhere beyond the top of the sight glass thanks to the dealership where I get it serviced :naughty:
Why do some mechanics think that too much oil is OK, the BMW dealer in Perth almost always overfilled my Adventure.
I'm beginning to theorise that too much oil and not enough torque on the sprocket nut may be the root cause of the problem although the service records show that the leak was reported by the previous owner, (and subsequently dismissed as overzealous use of chain lube) by the service department.

·
Administrator
19,860 Posts
I think he's pulled the seal out Donsy. :D

A lot of bikes use an o-ring to seal the collar to the shaft.....but those are generally pressure oil fed shafts.....I would just button it up with a new seal and be happy.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a vague memory that on previous bikes I've worked on there was an O ring behind the collar and there is a small chamfer on the bore of the collar that would accomodate one. It just seemed a bit odd that there is no seal between the collar and the shaft, and yes Donsy, I took the photos after I removed the seal. Reckon it would leak oil like an old Pommie bike if I tried to ride it without the seal.

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
I figured as much, I've never had to replace one of those seals, and have never had one leak, but I removed one the other day to get the measurements and confirm it's a double lip seal (twin lipped 35x47x7 R23) for another forum member.

I recon your leak was probably because your sprocket nut was not pulled up tight as I imagine you figured out already.:)

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've had seals go on previous bikes and as we know, oil will find its way out through the smallest gap, especially when its hot, and a little goes a long way. Especially when the chain is flinging it about!
Behind the cover was pretty oily and I've degreased the area previously so I know its relatively fresh. One thing that may have contributed to the leak is that the oil level was high, as in somewhere beyond the top of the sight glass thanks to the dealership where I get it serviced :naughty:
Why do some mechanics think that too much oil is OK, the BMW dealer in Perth almost always overfilled my Adventure.
I'm beginning to theorise that too much oil and not enough torque on the sprocket nut may be the root cause of the problem although the service records show that the leak was reported by the previous owner, (and subsequently dismissed as overzealous use of chain lube) by the service department.
On a side note: I usually check my oil within 30 seconds of just shutting off my bike, and use that line. If I let it sit for an extended period of time, it will register WAY high. This has been the same for every bike that I've owned, and I'm assuming the same concept for the MV.

When did you check your oil? Most manuals will say to let it run till warm, shut it off and check while the bike is upright.

·
Super Moderator
22,356 Posts
My standard has always been to wait at least two minutes.
You should wait until the engine drains to the sump.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Because the bike was a bit of an unknown quantity when I first bought it I was checking it before each ride so it had stood overnight. My issue was, once the level is beyond the top of the sight glass you're in no mans land in terms of how much oil is in the sump. I've drained it now and will refill until its roughly 7/8 up the sight glass and then whatever is left will tell me how much oil was put into it at the last service.

·
Registered
14,505 Posts
?

Donsy is right it was incorrect torque on the sprocket nut

it won't leak torqued to 103lbft/140Nm with medium LocTite on the threads

way tighter than the sump plug

:laughing:

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I just fill it to the middle of the glass, then check it again off the stand. Figure if it's in the glass there's enough for the engine. Think of all they weight you add in additional oil!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts