MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wonder how much you were charged for mounting and balancing? I was quote 1 1/2 hours at $90 an hour ($120). Just wondering if that was about the right price.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Hmm, that sounds like a lot to me. Here in Aus I pay $25 per tire, front or rear. That's about $20 US.

Also, it shouldn't take 1.5 hours. The absolute longest someone with MV experience should take is 20 mins for each wheel. The front is more fiddly as you have to take the brakes into account but the rear can take a bit longer as the wheel nut is very tight (by spec).

·
Administrator
19,807 Posts
Actual time to dismount and remount tire and properly balance, using modern equipment, is about 15 minutes, wheel off the bike. Time to R&R the wheels can vary from bike to bike, but I would say 1.5 hours for one tire is a bit excessive, maybe not so bad for both wheels. Brutale rear tire requires moving exhaust, which adds just a bit, but the rest of the job is really fast. Front wheel on any MV requires dismounting brake calipers, but that is not a very time consuming job in itself.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Some stupid ediot wanted to charge me 80Aud to do both wheels!! i told him to get stuffed!!!
Ripp OFFFFF
Should only cost like $20-25 per wheel Inc Balancing.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Wow... Some shop is trying to rip you a new one...

I bought my own tire mounter/demounter and static balancer. Between all my bikes, it has paid for itself in no time.

Best part yet, I HAVE NO SCRATCHES ! ;-)

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Allan, is that wheels off the bike or on the bike. I always take my wheels in off the bike and typically pay about $20 per wheel for M&B.

·
Registered
617 Posts
That's about what I just paid to have it done. Wheels on the bike, they did it all.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
awiner has the right idea. One of these days I'll have my own machine....

But since I don't have the right cones for the balancer, I MUST take them to Renaissance (otherwise I'd just take them to anybody who can mount tires).

Steve charges me based on time, but it also seems a little bit like the mood he's in as well. Last time he said my front axle was out of round. That can happen if you torque the hinge too much, didn't think I was but I suppose it's possible. He had to fix it up. That was $80, wheels off the bike.

I'd say with wheels off the bike, $30 each is about the max, and you can expect no scratches for that. Any less, and you're at the mercy of the particular tire monkey working on your wheels.

Oh, I've heard that the wheel nut can tighten itself up dramatically, to where they needed a 6 foot long cheater bar to get the nut off (!). This has never happened to me, though.

What tires did you put on this time?

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm going to give the Michelin 2CT a try. Best prices I've seen are from Competition Accessories ($116.99/ $180.99) and Chapparal ($120.85/$187.85) with free shipping from both companies. I think the dealer wanted something like $325 for the rear. Just FYI if anyone is also shopping for tires. :)

As for wheel scratches, I thought that was done from the machine that removes the rubber from the rim? There are a few places I could go to get the new tires mounted cheaper - but rim scratches were what worried me and I'm not sure if they can remove 50mm nut.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Allan Gibbs said:
I'm going to give the Michelin 2CT a try. Best prices I've seen are from Competition Accessories ($116.99/ $180.99) and Chapparal ($120.85/$187.85) with free shipping from both companies. I think the dealer wanted something like $325 for the rear. Just FYI if anyone is also shopping for tires. :)

As for wheel scratches, I thought that was done from the machine that removes the rubber from the rim? There are a few places I could go to get the new tires mounted cheaper - but rim scratches were what worried me and I'm not sure if they can remove 50mm nut.
I just paid $305 for f&r, 120/70 and 190/55, 2ct. I'll try to find the place I got them from. But I thought that it was a decent deal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts