MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a good story: http://www.gliultimichilometri.it/
I ran some of the text through Google Translate, and it appears that someone made a documentary about this guy and his MV. When he was 20 years old he bought a new 175 and entered the Milano to Taranto race, 1200 km- the MV broke down 20 km from the finish and he pushed it across the finish line. Sixty years later at the age of 80 he rebuilt the MV and entered and finished the race revival. There's a trailer for the movie and some videos sprinkled around the site- I should be so lucky.
Rick

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
Heart Warming & Magnificent

If anyone needed to quantify passion by personifying it - then this is it!

The google translation Chip used gives a good précis of the story - Cosimo Vaccarelli's story I am familiar with.

Incredibily he was denied a personal victory by the mechanical breakdown (various versions of the story but one, according to my relatives, was a miss timed gear change valve bounced the motor) - of course this personal victory he was denied was not outright victory but to finish and hence the epic 20km push to the end - determination & passion that can only be dreamed of by us mortals.

That failure to finish under the bike's own steam haunted him and finally he decided to exorcise that demon by restoring the bike and finishing that race - 60 years later!

The Milan -Taranto is something that is on my bucklist (before it becomes doomed by the power of the do-gooders) and I have my relatives looking for a "Disco Volante" presently for me, when I say Disco Volante - suffice that it is a 175 in an appropriate frame & tank, seat, I don't need (or want) the head/heart ache of establishing authencity. There is one they've tracked down that is available for viewing 20 August when the owner returns from holidays.

This seems a good lead with some potential & hopefully they can pull this together - house it for me, have it 'race prepared' & then I fly in next year & ride it, pack it when finished & ship it back to Australia as very important collection piece (to me that is) - not counting chickens , but I guess without a plan, there are no chickens. I have a plan :)

·
Registered
276 Posts

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
Awesome tale. The race bike shown and the dates don't all jive with the story, but it's still an inspiration. Pretty cool website too. Thanks for sharing!

The 1954 CSS featured in the sidebar page looks like a good one! http://www.gliultimichilometri.it/mv-agusta-175-ss-disco-volante.html

MVista, good luck with your hunt!
Hi Ivan,

That CSS featured in the sidebar page - Frame no: 404462 Engine No: 540279 - my relatives have been busy indeed ;)

Thanks for your kind wishes.

Cheers
Rob

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hi Ivan,

That CSS featured in the sidebar page - Frame no: 404462 Engine No: 540279 - my relatives have been busy indeed ;)

Thanks for your kind wishes.

Cheers
Rob
Rob,
Sending you a PM.
Ivan

·
Formally know as Drew Kelley
84 Posts
Here in the States, that bike was marketed as a 175-Tourismo.
I know, as it was my first bike:
A 1956 model I bought brand new in the winter of '57 when I turned 15-1/2 and got my Learner's Permit. Black and Red.
Sold it in the Summer of '59 and bought another '56 Italian bike: A 350cc MM from a guy who was trading up to a Matchless Twin.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Here in the States, that bike was marketed as a 175-Tourismo.
I know, as it was my first bike:
A 1956 model I bought brand new in the winter of '57 when I turned 15-1/2 and got my Learner's Permit. Black and Red.
Sold it in the Summer of '59 and bought another '56 Italian bike: A 350cc MM from a guy who was trading up to a Matchless Twin.
Welcome to the Classics forum! Would love to see any photos you might have of your 1950's Italian bikes. Where did you buy your MV?

Looking again at the website that started this thread, the machine featured in the slideshow with musical soundtrack appears to be a 1957 or newer 125 model.

Your black and red 175 MV - could it be a CSTL?. Great machine. :). Many are still on the road. And somewhat rare in the USA.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts