MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has any of you experienced any corrosion on the metal parts of your MV's?
I just noticed some surface corrosion appearing on the Throttle Bodies and don't understand why it is happening. I wash the bike only on warm days and I quickly dry it with an air dryer and usually go for a ride.

I have never noticed it before, but today I saw it and I am stumped. I am wondering if it is deposits from the soap I used the last time I washed it? That was a week ago though. Or maybe the damp air around here from the recent rain? I do keep it in a shed with a breatheable cover on it but the moisture in the air around here is high.

I keep the bike clean between rides, but it does pick up dirt and stuff from the road which sometimes I will let go until the next Saturday when I can wash it.

The engine looks terrible with this white stuff growing on it like a mold.Any tips on how to remove it?

·
Registered
395 Posts
are you using a degreaser like 'simple green' ? degreasers on warm engine componants can leave nasty residue - just a thought.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Many things can do this. The first is the water you are using. Is it tap water? If so, it will happen over a period of time. Best to use deinized water. Or, get a water filter which you can connect into your outside hosepipe. May also be a hard water area. Also, use a good PH car shampoo like Zymol or Swissvax etc, there are plenty out there. Then use something like ACF 50 which will halt any further problems. Looking at the pictures, its not that bad, bit of elbow grease and you will remove it.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I get the same thing, I just spray it with WD40, leave it a few minutes, then wipe it off. The WD40 will prevent it from 'growing' back as well.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I have it in the same spot. It is just oxidation on the alloy, more of an eye soar not going to damage anything. Just spray some WD or silicone spray on it and it will look a little better!! Do you leave your bike outside under cover?? I do and that is the only corrosion I've found unlike my Triumph which had rusty and oxidised bolts every where!!!

·
Ball & Chain magnet
3,027 Posts
why don't you just get them chromed like the harley guys do it?? :stickpoke :nutkick: :stir:

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Djester said:
why don't you just get them chromed like the harley guys do it?? :stickpoke :nutkick: :stir:
NICE DIDN'T EVEN THINK OF THAT!! I"M GOING TO A CHROMER TODAY FOR PRICES. :stickpoke

·
Ball & Chain magnet
3,027 Posts
CHB said:
NICE DIDN'T EVEN THINK OF THAT!! I"M GOING TO A CHROMER TODAY FOR PRICES. :stickpoke
Good idea.... I had all my gold chains melted down and got my stuff gold plated..... just kidding... WD-40 works wonders in those areas.
but while we are on the subject.... powder coating them would look really nice as long as they matched a color on the bike..... not worth the trouble though. :blah:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
quacker998 said:
are you using a degreaser like 'simple green' ? degreasers on warm engine componants can leave nasty residue - just a thought.
I use this stuff from the Honda dealer, S&S Cleaner or something like that.
It's a Spray On, Wash Off type of cleaner I have used for years.
But just now I remembered I caught my daughter squirting the bike with Purple Power because she wanted to help daddy out. I rinsed it off quickly, but I bet that is what the problem is. That stuff is a strong degreaser. I'll do what some of the others said and use a little WD-40 on there and see what happens.

Since I use the same cleaner on both my Honda's I know it is not that.
Thanks you guys for all your help and suggestions. Much Appreciated For Sure.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Krokus_910R said:
I use this stuff from the Honda dealer, S&S Cleaner or something like that.
But just now I remembered I caught my daughter squirting the bike with Purple Power because she wanted to help daddy out. I rinsed it off quickly, but I bet that is what the problem is. That stuff is a strong degreaser. I'll do what some of the others said and use a little WD-40 on therer and see what happens.

Since I use the same cleaner on both my Honda's I know it is not that.
Thanks you guys for all your help and suggestions. Much Appreciated For Sure.
Is your bike outside or kept in the garage?? Water will oxidise aluminum!Even hard water from washing it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
CHB said:
Is your bike outside or kept in the garage?? Water will oxidise aluminum!Even hard water from washing it.
It's kept out in a metal shed and with a Nelson Riggs cover on it.
But this syndrome has just occured within the last week.
Is it possible humidity can cause this? I think the protective coating
that was originally on the parts got removed, now they are exposed to the elements. Does that sound feasable?

I plan on putting some engine dressing or WD-40 on it after I try and scrub off the residue/oxidation. I'll do it saturday and see what happens.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
The only thing with WD 40 is that it leaves a slight sticky surface and then after a while dries out, so don't put it on working parts.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Krokus_910R said:
It's kept out in a metal shed and with a Nelson Riggs cover on it.
But this syndrome has just occured within the last week.
Is it possible humidity can cause this? I think the protective coating
that was originally on the parts got removed, now they are exposed to the elements. Does that sound feasable?

I plan on putting some engine dressing or WD-40 on it after I try and scrub off the residue/oxidation. I'll do it saturday and see what happens.
It is nothing that you did it is oxidation of the alloy. Some will get more then others nothing you really can do my bike stays out under cover spring, summer, fall and goes to my in laws garage for the winter. I have the same thing happen, I never tried doing anything cause any free time I have I ride.Also need to remember anything wet is going to attract dirt and will require more cleaning.
I will take a look tomorrow and see what I can come up with and I will post my findings.

·
Registered
268 Posts
The purple power might have something to do with it but leaving it in a shed is a no-no. You need to have it in an attached garage. Otherwise dew condenses on the bike. Your garage doesn't need to be super-heated but it needs to be a little warm to fend off corrosion. Usually the heat from the house or the furnace or water heater is sufficient to prevent condensation from forming.

I consider sheds to be the place where old wheelbarrows, lawnmowers, and bicycles go to die. I always feel sad when I see someone wheeling one of the above into a shed, because I know it's the beginning of the end for that little piece of metal.

Much less a Brutale.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
manalagi001 said:
The purple power might have something to do with it but leaving it in a shed is a no-no. You need to have it in an attached garage. Otherwise dew condenses on the bike. Your garage doesn't need to be super-heated but it needs to be a little warm to fend off corrosion. Usually the heat from the house or the furnace or water heater is sufficient to prevent condensation from forming.

I consider sheds to be the place where old wheelbarrows, lawnmowers, and bicycles go to die. I always feel sad when I see someone wheeling one of the above into a shed, because I know it's the beginning of the end for that little piece of metal.

Much less a Brutale.
I think I could put 1000 Brutales and 10,000 lawn mowers in my metal shed. It's actually a 40' x 120' metal building on a concrete slab. It stays dry, no condensation I can readily see, but the building is not heated beyond what the sun does through the sky lights and windows. My corrosion is on one side of my bike, I am convinced that the cause was when my daughter squirted purple power on the bike.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts