MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My F3 had been in storage for about 2 weeks and yesterday when I went to give it a cleaning I noticed some bolts show sign of corrosion! I've heard MV is usually very good about this but this looks like something else they held back to bring cost down. Anyone else noticing this on their bike?

Also, would the warranty cover replacing these bolts or should I go with titanium bolts like Perfect did?

Found a picture of the same crappy screws as the ones on my bike on the "Show off your F3" thread

Attachments

·
Registered
947 Posts
I have the same issue. Lots of bolts all around the bike are showing signs of corrosion including the fairing screws. Its very disappointing that a motorcycle of this price has such inferior bolts. I can understand not using titanium bolts but stainless steel shoud have been used.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the same issue. Lots of bolts all around the bike are showing signs of corrosion including the fairing screws. Its very disappointing that a motorcycle of this price has such inferior bolts. I can understand not using titanium bolts but stainless steel shoud have been used.
I agree, stainless steel should have been used. Im gonna go to my dealer next week to show them and hopefully they can do something about it since I heard MV have replaced bolts on F4's with the same issue.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Steves F41000RR had the same issue

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
get some CLP from the camp Pendleton and "bust so rust" my friend

·
Registered
561 Posts
would using something like ACF-50 on them help? they will buff up but you would need to do it every few months.

I replaced all mine before they had chance to go rusty but at a big expence, I totally understand that not everyone would want to spend money on bolts.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
those are great looking bolts!

·
Administrator
19,860 Posts
Environmental deterioration is usually excluded from warranty coverage. Variables in storage methods, cleaning methods and local environments can be responsible for corrosion. I suspect you are not going to get much help unless it is for one single part corroding, evidencing a defect on that single parts surface treatment.

You live in San Diego.....ocean air is more corrosive than the air in, say... Arkansas.

But Arkansas has more humidity (albeit not tinted with sea salt).

You want to prevent corrosion,move to the desert...of course you will then have the UV and high heat working on your rubber and painted parts.

Best defense for corroding fasteners is routine cleaning with no-corrosive chemicals, thorough waxing (spray detail wax on those bolts), do not store under a cover that does not breathe (ie: outdoor covers)....

And if you live in a coastal environment rinse and dry frequently or store indoors in climate controlled environment.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
would using something like ACF-50 on them help? they will buff up but you would need to do it every few months.

I replaced all mine before they had chance to go rusty but at a big expence, I totally understand that not everyone would want to spend money on bolts.
Can I be a nosy fugger and ask what that adventure cost??

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
I've heard MV is usually very good about this but this looks like something else they held back to bring cost down.
Hugo You should research and not listen to rumors. MV Agusta is using these bolts since day one. Not even Oro's, nor Senna's, Ago's, Tamburini's etc had other bolting hardware than these thin coated examples. I can not speak for the CC but I doubt that there is everything shiny titanium.

·
Registered
947 Posts
The service tech emailed me this morning and is awaiting an answer back from MV USA so he won't have an answer for me until Tuesday. He does not believe they will be replaced under warranty and even if they were they would be the exact same bolts. My bike has been stored in a climate controlled garage and has been kept in pristine condition so its pretty bad that they are corroding so fast with the care its been given. I will wait for the response from MV but I am now researching replacing all the bolts with stainless or titanium.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Can I be a nosy fugger and ask what that adventure cost??
it's hard to say really and to be honest i try not to think about it, i had most of the bolts already as they were on my previous bike.

That might sound crazy but the Titanium bolts off my last bike were like new, the Ti stuff is so hard wearing, they don't fade or cross thread and the heads were mint.

I guess i had about 50 % from the last bike but have spent a further
£500 on this bike so I guess a £1000 would be close.

You can use stainless instead and alloy were possible, that would reduce the cost by almost 50%

I have replaced almost everything but say you wanted to just do body work and the engine covers, that would probably set you back about £200 if you went the stainless steel route and probably just over £100 for alloy.

Pro bolt are not the cheapest but the quality is outstanding. if any UK guys visit Forza at Silverstone in the next two weeks my bike is there, have a look.

·
Registered
694 Posts
What about removing all the bolts and sending them off somewhere to have them anodized gold? Would they look almost the same and how much would that cost?

I just bought some gold titanium bolts from Probolt to replace the worst ones on my Brutale. But it will get rather costly to replace all of them. I'm still debating how far I want to go with the titanium.

·
Registered
14,503 Posts
rusty, crusty bolts?

anodizing is for aluminum

you want 'gold zinc' plating

all but the main case bolts and head nuts went...my bike was from Seattle:jsm:
the Dzus fasteners were so bad the previous owner painted them black!!!!

rusty, crusty, painted and greasy......throw them in a box

everything is now perfect, as new, but thicker than factory plating.....

yes, you might have to sand the bearing surfaces of the rear axle:stickpoke

Aerodynamic Plating
13629 S. St Andrews Place
Gardena CA 90249-2416

attn; Abel, tell him I sent you

310-329-3862
310-329-8383

know about HotRods?
ever hear of Boyd Coddington?
he went to Aerodynamic Plating so do I:drummer::drummer::drummer:

·
Registered
694 Posts
anodizing is for aluminum

you want 'gold zinc' plating

all but the main case bolts and head nuts went...my bike was from Seattle:jsm:
the Dzus fasteners were so bad the previous owner painted them black!!!!

rusty, crusty, painted and greasy......throw them in a box

everything is now perfect, as new, but thicker than factory plating.....

yes, you might have to sand the bearing surfaces of the rear axle:stickpoke

Aerodynamic Plating
13629 S. St Andrews Place
Gardena CA 90249-2416

attn; Abel, tell him I sent you

310-329-3862
310-329-8383

know about HotRods?
ever hear of Boyd Coddington?
he went to Aerodynamic Plating so do I:drummer::drummer::drummer:
That sounds great. Any idea about cost? Obviously it would have to be much less than titanium to make sense.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Yes these anti corrosion type of sprays are great, but for FS these bolts are going rusty without even seeing a winter :jsm:

Steve's F41000RR had rusty bolts in the showroom before it was registered :wtf:

You should not accept to buy a brand new bike and HAVE to change all the bolts because of rust, if you want to change them for aesthetics or weight or because you have nothing else to do that's fine.

To be honest my Aprilia is fine on all the bolts (although I have had other issues) so it's not a general Italian type thing :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts