MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well today on the Pacific Hwy the prick had nothing better to do so he just had to get me for my arrow exhaust being to loud and now i have to go for a noise test,he had nothing to test it with so he said he can make a judgement call on it.

Anyone had there bike tested yet by EPA?

Im going to put the stock pipes back on with the decat pipe as the catalytic converter i had was cut off my headers,so i hope it will pass!

·
Administrator
18,862 Posts
What??? He didn't hear all the open pipe Harley's going past?
They have no established sound test. Where are you supposed to go?
If your mufflers have the EPA stamp you are fine.

·
Super Moderator
21,464 Posts
This is in Australia, folks...what are the sound standards there?
Rules for modifying exhaust from stock?

·
Administrator
18,862 Posts
OOOps....I didn't pay attention to locale....Pacific Coast Highway is a famous road in California so I got confused.....
Look for the E3 emissions stamp on your mufflers. I suppose you might have "inspection" stations. There is an established SAE standard sound test, but few governmental agencies know how to do it, and many variables can affect outcome.
Suggest you borrow someones stock exhaust, install it for the "inspection" and go on your merry way. They can't bitch if it has all the manufacturer certification stamps no matter the outcome of their "test".

Good luck.

·
Registered
14,220 Posts
sound meters?

Same sort of deal.......my music was too loud 2 pin heads no meter

"it's too loud, I can hear it from the street"
"so what, do you have a meter?"
"no"
"I do, lets go measure it...... see 42-47 Db, what am I allowed?"
"don't know"
"I do 60 Db, measured right here at the sidewalk"
"then you're breaking State Law Sec 24001"

which has nothing to do with noise.......lying POS

if you folks want a sound meter and have an Android get 1 from the Google Play Store I use Smart Tools Sound Tool and its FREE

got me out of a ticket
:drummer:

:popcorn:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Well today on the Pacific Hwy
^--well there's your problem right there, (if you mean the old road north of Sydney)
I would be avoiding the place for the next month especially with double demerits coming up, though I haven't heard of the cops doing noise checks for a while, was this a one off or a target all sports bike riders stop.

They can no longer sound test at the side of the road because it was successfully challenged in court that the cops 1. don't have the technical knowledge/education level to conduct a proper test and 2. you can't control the environmental variables on the side of the road, that's why the EPA does it all now.

I think the EPA test is purely sound so you wont have to worry about the missing cat

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Put your std pipes back on before going in. The Arrows will not pass.
On the frame there should be a sticker which states the dB and rpm test point that has been used for E3 and Australian compliance.
It's Christmas! I have just been out for an early morning blat up our local twisties and passed 5 cars and 2 bike patrols within 30kms.

·
Vendor
5,160 Posts
I have a DB meter and my Bodis are 102db at idle and 135db at 4,000rpm at 1.5meters.:jsm:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeh im def avoiding the area untill after January the 5th and wait for the letter from epa but i will keep u posted on the noise test so if it happens to anyone else we should know that the stock cans will be enough to pass,i feel that even the stock cans wont pass

·
Registered
933 Posts
Ride with someone on a Harley and they wont even hear your MV, no double demerits in Tassie but I wont go on about it. Your issue is all about keeping you off the road not noise but if you have stamped stock pipes/mufflers fitted you should be sweet.

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
It sounds like the simplest solution is to put the stock pipes back on the bike for the test.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Found some info which states it must be under 100db where the engine makes max power

Now with the sound meter app i got 84db at 9000rpm with the arrow thunder exhaust

So the stock cans should pass IMHO

·
Registered
14,220 Posts
Found some info which states it must be under 100db where the engine makes max power

Now with the sound meter app i got 84db at 9000rpm with the arrow thunder exhaust

So the stock cans should pass IMHO
George;

how far away?????

100 meters :naughty:

I have an Arrow Thunder and a decat stock system just in case

:drummer:

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
The EPA will also take a picture of the standard pipes when you get them tested, so if you get busted with your Arrow exhaust again, the fine goes up exponentially.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Do you have the stock baffles that come with the Arrow pipes? They'll muffle the sound.
Otherwise, you may try to stick some steel wool in the can(s) for the test, then remove it after.
We used to do that with our two stroke mopeds back in the day. Not sure how it'll go with the MV. Anyone here's done that?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Thus why I shopped for stock silencers. (thanks Ralf)

Mine state "closed circuit" only, no EPA cert. I would be fine in AZ but I ride over to Cali on occasion. Not gonna fly there, don't want the hassel.

tt

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
That sucks. I got stuck in the tunnel next to a police truck the other day and the copper motioned me to rev it for him.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts