MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After I got home today I let the bike cool down, with the key in the ignition, engine off, the fans madly trying to suck air through the radiator, when it crossed my mind that without the engine running to turn the water pump and circulate the water being cooled, I'm wasting my time. Right?

So it occurs to me to ask; what's the most efficient way of cooling an F4 post-ride? Is it to keep the engine running so the fans go all out and circulated the cooling water, or is it to just switch off and walk away to find a beer? Will an idling F4 in 30 Deg C ambient temperature actually be able to cool itself down or will the temp continue to climb?

Thanks,

Si

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Yes, the long and the short of it is that running fans without engine on has no purpose, but more importantly is your second point, for heat exchange to take place the bike needs to be moving....that is heat generated by the motor is transferred into the water and the air flow cools the water.

The fans are set to come on when the water temp gets too high due to lack of sufficient air flow....ie when stationary or moving very slow.

The motor is designed to cool down from operating temp without the need for the fans running. :)

Hope that helps

·
Registered
673 Posts
I just turn it off and walk away, but sometimes I feel bad when I leave it and it's >215. Sometimes I'll speed up the cool-down process by letting the fans run for ~4 minutes, then starting the bike up for 10 seconds to circulate coolant.
Usually I just walk away, though.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
There have been some problems with melted fan blades. Letting the fan run for awhile might at least prevent that damage. I recall this happened on someones Ago last year, so I would think most are at risk.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I agree with Agusta01, since the MV is not a turbo/supercharge motor, just switch the engine off and be amazed at how much fun you just had with the bike.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Yep just switch off.

But wish there was a mod to make the temp show correctly (or another solution).
If only to put the owners mind at ease, I have only had up to about 100DegC, but the fluctuation I think is not necessary.

Jonathan

·
Registered
604 Posts
Gladio, it was my Ago that it happen to. I have since had the fan blades replaced and the headers ceramic coated and wrapped. Still noticed that the fan blades are just a little melted. I will have those replaced one last time before my warranty is up.

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
Cooling the water in the radiator will at least prevent the messy overflow when hot coolant spills onto your floor, and yes, an idling MV will continue to heat up to the point of overheating.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I bought myself a large Lakewood High Speed fan for the house. It occured to me that after a good ride I could help the bike cool off more quickly if the fan were blowing at high speed from either the front or rear of the bike so as to flow across both sides of the engine. The heat exhausting off the engine is quickly wisked away resulting in a faster exchange of engine heat vs. ambient air temp. Really works well!!!:)

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
ddnuts said:
I have since had the fan blades replaced and the headers ceramic coated and wrapped.
Coated and wrapped and they still melted a bit. :eek: :eek: :eek: do you notice much heat difference having done both...also didn't you have an oil leak recently??? you know those wraps can catch fire if you get oil on them when they're hot.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Since we are talking about engine heat.

Something happen to my bike today.

i took it out for a ride to do some errands today and the weather is somewhat hot.

After the errands i decided to rest the bike and take the truck to work.

i parked the bike in the garage and trying to get to the truck, i hear a whistling noise.

Don't know if this had happened to anyone else. But the noise came from my bike. I'm thinking it's because the bike is still hot and where ever the noise come from, it might just be the pressure trying to escape some where. You know like steaming water.

Anyways, just thought i shared that. If this is a known problem, can someone share some informations about it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Tokyo....more than likley petrol fumes are the cause of the noise you describe, it usually happens when there is less liquid in the tank than vapour and also more likley when the ambient air temp is high ... the sound is just the fumes 'gassing off'
Same thing happens when you open your cars filler cap and the tank is quite empty :)

·
Registered
367 Posts
I hear it a lot

Its because air/fumes being a gas expand and contract whereas liquids expansision and contraction is minimal.

Therefore the more air/fumes as opposed to liquid, the more it will happen.

Jonathan

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
ddnuts said:
Gladio, it was my Ago that it happen to. I have since had the fan blades replaced and the headers ceramic coated and wrapped. Still noticed that the fan blades are just a little melted. I will have those replaced one last time before my warranty is up.
I thought so.

·
Registered
266 Posts
This stuff made my engines run cooler and stronger! Back in the 1990's I used to use products called Kick-Ass Gas and Make Her Scream Friction Terminator. At first, I was skeptical. But after my first experiment with them, I was absolutely convinced they really worked! The gas additive made the bike feel like it was on race fuel - definitely better throttle response and power. Due to the oil additive, I could definitely feel that the shifts were smoother and the engine revved quicker. Ran cooler too! Also ran it in my race cars and also BIG difference! Has anyone else here used such products with positive (or negative) results?

·
Not very lucky..
1,431 Posts
I noticed my 910 makes that "venting" noise wether the tank is full or empty, morning or afternoon, before or after a ride.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
agusta01 said:
Yes, the long and the short of it is that running fans without engine on has no purpose
Pull the fan AMP plug and watch the temps fall. It takes forever without the fans. I don't agree with the above.

If my fans are on when I come to a stop I shut off the engine and leave them running until it drops 10% or so. Has served me well and has been a very long time practice among MV owners.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts