MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all
Iv finally picked up my new to me 1000s although I got rained on for a short period I did enjoy the 70 miles ride home.

Good points
Throttle response
EBS system
The sound
Handling

Not so good
A little cramped easy to sort
Although during normal riding the engine temp was showing 65 to 70 when I pulled up it soon went up showing a maximum of 105. So to get off on the right foot I'm going to replace the water pump and fan blades ASAP.
So were is the cheapest place to by the pump
Regards andy

·
Super Moderator
22,357 Posts
Can you give us a bit more that "running hot"?
What is "running hot" to you?
Any mods?
Have you done any troubleshooting?
Have you read the service manual?
Under what conditions do you believe the bike to be running hot?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
During normal riding on the open road it's showing 65/75 degrees which is fine only when I stop at lights does the temperature rise quite rapidly to about 105
It's not modified in any way so I through up grading the pump would be a good idea.
Thanks for the reply

·
Super Moderator
22,357 Posts
Andy, these bike run about there.
Where are you in this world?
Using a quality coolant such as Engine Ice and going to the high flow pump does reduce things a bit.
Try the site sponsors, such as GP Racing or Design Corse.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
The best way, and cheapest option imho is to fit a fan over ride switch to the bike.

I switch my fan on 'as soon as I slow to less than 40mph. This makes a massive difference to the airflow and stops the heat building up to a point where the bike struggles to deal with it.
Since fitting this I've had no real cooling issue and can merrily ride into the city.

·
Super Moderator
22,357 Posts
I agree with Merc....

Andy what year is your bike?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Why bother fitting a switch when the ecu can be coded to switch the fans on earlier !
Can this be done with all ECU's?
Providing you can get to someone who can do this, or you have the know how that's fine. At what temp do you set it, 77c?

I like the idea of controlling the fan myself, turning it on be before it even starts to get hot keeps it ahead of the game from my experience. If I allow the bike to get to 80c before switching on the fan I have seen it struggle somewhat on hot days in traffic.

Some times I even run the fan for a while after I park up, to chase out excess heat, as I have had problems with paint and body work getting cooked. But I do admit this is my preference.

·
Super Moderator
22,357 Posts
It is possible on the 16M and the 5SM...again, what year is your bike?
Do you know what ECU you have?

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
It is possible on the 16M and the 5SM...again, what year is your bike?
Do you know what ECU you have?
I can do the 16m's, still working on the 5sm......

He says it's a 1000S so it will be the 16m ecu - that said he also states:

Good points
Throttle response
EBS system
The sound
Handling

Guess it must be a standard bike !

97C is the standard setting, I set it to 91C. With the fueling and advance changes, it never gets too hot.

·
Super Moderator
22,357 Posts
Hi Adam. I agree that it is probably a 16M ECU in a 1000S.
What I am trying to do is get him to help us help him.
It's frustrating at best when people say ,y bike does "this"....what's wrong, with no amplifying information.

The 5SM can be done by Rob's Dyno.

I'll be sending you a PM at some point when I am ready to attack the new-to-me 2003 750S EVO 3 that I bought Cindy for Christmas.

·
Registered
14,510 Posts
Guess you need it at 85C, it's warm where you are.....
When do they switch off?

Adam
I'll have to remember to check Adam......but coming on at 85C means no "run away train' effect though.....my F4 comes on a 99C.....almost too late:naughty:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
2006 1000s I'm ill have a look at the ecu when I get the chance
Thanks for all the replys guys
Cheers andy

·
Vendor
5,337 Posts
Adam,2009 1078F4 with race ECU.Can you bring in the fans at 85C on that ECU?

1 - 20 of 71 Posts