MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Checked my coolant today and noticed its below the minimum level. Manual requests Agip Eco Permanent. Called my local dealer (where I bought the bike) and asked what they put into the bikes when serviced. They use Agip Red at the shop. I plan on running down there and pick up a bottle tomorrow. My only question is can I mix them?

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Checked my coolant today and noticed its below the minimum level. Manual requests Agip Eco Permanent. Called my local dealer (where I bought the bike) and asked what they put into the bikes when serviced. They use Agip Red at the shop. I plan on running down there and pick up a bottle tomorrow. My only question is can I mix them?
You mentioned "what they put in the bike", wouldn't that be the same as what's in the bike at the moment.
Okay, same brands is a good start, make sure it has the same chemical construction as to what's already in the bike, do not mix different kinds.
Do not fill higher than "low" when cold, bike in upright position.

·
Registered
292 Posts
That's interesting about not mixing. My b800 spat out a lot of coolant one day and went so low I couldn't see it in the plastic tank. Took it to bike shop and mechanic took a look and said its fine. I didn't feel comfortable with that as manual is quite specific. So I added some premix coolant that I had bought for my old 990r. Kept topping it up over time to try and get it to the correct level line in tank but ran out. Not that it was loosing any it was just that I didn't have a lot and when you ride after topping up the level changes a bit. Anyway then I got some more premix coolant and put more in to the max level, this was red colour as in my original. The 990 coolant I had bought was green. So coolant now looks a bit redy brown.
So long story short 3 coolant types all 50/50 but hasn't made any difference or problems that I can see. No overheating issues or spitting up.

·
Super Moderator
22,049 Posts
If you have mixed propylene glycol with ethylene glycol, you WILL have problems. The muddy brown color will be the start. There are precautions on coolant packaging against mixing the two types.

If the coolant is of all one type, but different colors, there is no issue.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rode down to the dealer. Apparently it doesnt currently have the agip cooland in it. Rather, it has silkolene procool. Dealer took a look at it and said all was well. Filled me in on the whole MV's liking to vomit their coolant. They suggested if it's just a small top up, mine sits about .5 inches below min, to just fill it with di water.

·
Super Moderator
22,049 Posts
I would just leave it at the level where it self adjusts.

·
Registered
292 Posts
If you have mixed propylene glycol with ethylene glycol, you WILL have problems. The muddy brown color will be the start. There are precautions on coolant packaging against mixing the two types.

If the coolant is of all one type, but different colors, there is no issue.
I think in my case the brown is from mixing red & green = brownish
Done another 3000ks without it bowing up so fingers crossed eh

·
Administrator
19,512 Posts
The bikes come with coolant from the factory. The dealer does not fill coolant at set-up/prep.
These days there are several ethylene glycol coolants on the market.
Most green coolants are the old traditional type.
Most other colors are so called "long life" coolants. The majority are blue, although there are some orange ones as well. I think the orange is mostly used by German manufacturers (VW etc).

Theoretically you should not mix the 2, standard and long life (or propylene certainly), although the only side affect seems to be ugly mud color....

Need coolant? Go to the auto parts store and buy it. That's my opinion anyway.

·
Registered
9,953 Posts
I put 50:50 mix ethylene glycol: distilled water in mine. I pay attention to the label and make sure it is SILICATE FREE as I read this is important to ensure longevity of the water pump ..

It's like, I don't buy it off an MV Agusta Dealer..I just run down to the local auto parts store as I need to be able to eat and drink the odd beer ; ))

joe

·
Super Moderator
22,049 Posts
I learn something new everyday. Thanks for that aiki.:smoking:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts