MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
MV Agusta F4 1000R 14MY
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings.

On my 2014 MV Agusta 1000 R, after each trip a small amount of coolant is poured out (about 200-300 ml). This happens after every ride as soon as I stop and turn off the bike. After 2 minutes, every time I find a puddle of coolant under it. During the trip, the bike does not overheat. Coolant is poured out of the expansion tank through the overflow pipe.

Wheel Tire Hood Sports gear Motorcycle

When I use the bike in the city where there is enough speed for good radiator airflow, there is no problem. The coolant sloshing problem only occurs when I drive up to my house as I drive at low speed for about 3 minutes.

If, after the coolant has drained out, and the motorcycle is allowed to cool, then the expansion tank will be empty (all the coolant is sucked into the radiator).
An enlarged pump from Jet Prime is installed, the coolant is filled in according to the service manual (with the front wheel raised), the gasket is not broken, there are no air bubbles in the expansion tank during ride or on iddle.

This photo was taken right after the trip. I stopped the engine and removed the side plastic. 2 minutes after I took the photo, I found a puddle under the bike.
Tire Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motorcycle

This photo was taken 40 minutes after I turned off the engine and the bike cooled down a bit. About 60 minutes later, the tank was empty.
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive exterior Motor vehicle

• The bike is not overheat during ride, or on iddle.
• I've tried topping up the coolant to the lowest level - that doesn't help, the bike still "spits out" about 50-100 ml on parking after ride.
• I tried not to turn off engine after a trip for 5 minutes, this does not give an effect. Moreover, if the engine runs after a trip of more than 4 minutes at idle, then the coolant also begins to pour out of the expansion tank.
• The radiator fans have been tested and are working.
• Changed the cap on the radiator twice - it does not help.

What could be the problem, has anyone experienced this?

·
Registered
531 Posts
You have air in the cooling system, bleed it by lifting the front of the bike per the manual or use a vacuum filler/bleeding tool. This tool was mentioned in a recent thread.

·
Registered
MV Agusta F4 1000R 14MY
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You have air in the cooling system, bleed it by lifting the front of the bike per the manual or use a vacuum filler/bleeding tool. This tool was mentioned in a recent thread.
Thanks for the advice.
I have already done replacing and topping up the fluid in the radiator and pumping air by raising the front wheel (about 1 meter) as written in the manual. Unfortunately it didn't help. Could there be air left somewhere else and how to pump it from there?

·
Old Wing Nut
24,309 Posts
Another important tip.... MV proper coolant level is at the minimum mark (or slightly lower) when cold. If you add coolant above the minimum mark it will spit out.
Well known fact.

Reactions: Teeps

·
Registered
682 Posts
Swap radiator cap with a new one. Its a cheap test and they go bad thus not actuating at the right pressure/temp.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Swap radiator cap with a new one. Its a cheap test and they go bad thus not actuating at the right pressure/temp.
Had same exact issue, there is a difference between bloody nose and amputation.. it is the radiator cap the noise you hear is water flashing to steam from lack of pressure.

·
Registered
MV Agusta F4 1000R 14MY
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Already did this. I've swapped the radiator cap off another MV F4R that doesn't have this problem - it didn't help.
Now I'm waiting for a new radiator cap, I'll try with a new one.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
The only time I had spitting overflow was when there was air in the system. I found the best result was to have the engine at idle speed and tilt it side to side as well.

·
Old Wing Nut
24,309 Posts
You can also try using a vacuum fill system. This is how the cooling system is filled on the assembly line. I have a generic inexpensive one and it works very well.

Reactions: falcn and Teeps

·
Registered
682 Posts
Interesting. Sorry couldn't help. Mine was cap issue. I go to work, park the bike, half our later come out and puddle beneath. Good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts