MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed the keyhole cover to gain access to the coolant reservoir

I however cannot get the cap to come off, it's like it's welded on..
Is there a special trick or technique to doing this, or is there a special tool that I (or the service manual) don't know of?

Visually I can't properly see coolant in the tank from the side, so I wanted to check in the reservoir and fill up if needed. But for the moment, the thing is bloody sealed as can be.

I also see a littlet yellow dot on the cap, so that means it's the updated version right?

·
Premium Member
2,886 Posts
Mine was tight as heck too. I wrapped a couple of thick rubber bands around the cap and got it off right away. Old trick for opening jars. Something to do with friction.

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
I removed the keyhole cover to gain access to the coolant reservoir

I however cannot get the cap to come off, it's like it's welded on..
Is there a special trick or technique to doing this, or is there a special tool that I (or the service manual) don't know of?

Visually I can't properly see coolant in the tank from the side, so I wanted to check in the reservoir and fill up if needed. But for the moment, the thing is bloody sealed as can be.

I also see a littlet yellow dot on the cap, so that means it's the updated version right?
Ha ...Been there, done that..

Use a pipe wrench with something cloth like over the cap so that you don't mangle it.

A bit of very hot water poured on the cap will help expand it but be quick before the heat shunts into the metal neck and expands tightening it up again !

good luck

joe

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine was tight as heck too. I wrapped a couple of thick rubber bands around the cap and got it off right away. Old trick for opening jars. Something to do with friction.
aha, great suggestion. i think we have one of those rubber oil filter wrenches somwhere, i'll give that a go :)

since last ride my bike overflowed some coolant, would it be good to replace the cap with a new one? read a thread where there were some caps not regulation pressure properly.

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
since last ride my bike overflowed some coolant, would it be good to replace the cap with a new one? read a thread where there were some caps not regulation pressure properly.

Most likely you have air in the system..

joe

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Time to take the tank off, be careful not to damage the line fittings or crimp the line as you put it back on.
This will make the space to get some cloth around the cap and use something to grip the cap.
I usually use a torch through the inspection slot in the bodywork to see the fluid level.
If you do a search you will find a lot of threads letting people know that any fluid above the minimum level will be too much, and will come out the overflow pipe.
It is easy to get air bubbles in the first fill and it settles within the first few rides.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just read on MVFAQ that it's a bad idea to just switch off the contact like i did with my ducati. bike was at 92° with the fan on and out of habit i just turned off the contact, probably that's what caused the overflow.

i think i'll be able to get it off without removing the tank using that rubber filter wrench or by wrapping some rubber hose around and putting a normal one ont it. pulling the tank really isn't something on my list right now, as it seems to be a good deal of work. on my ducati it was dead easy, you took of the dash cover and keyhole cover and you could unhook the rubber strap at the front of the tank and it had a hinge and metal support to put it upright. no need to dismantle anything.

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Just remove the key cover, put a towel around the neck, pour some hot water on the cap and use your rubber bands or whatever method you like to improve the grip and undo it. The use of heat will make a big difference in how hard it is to undo.

When you switch your bike off , there is a big shunt of heat from the cylinders into the coolant jacket only now there is very poor heat exchange due to the coolant not circulating through the radiator. This causes expansion and hence the overflow.

Good luck :)

joe

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rag + hot water + pliers and it came off

systems is nice and full now. think i must have used 150ml of my 5000ml jug ...

·
Premium Member
2,886 Posts
Glad you got it off. A removable thumb handle clamp like the one on the oil filter would have been a nice touch.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
If you have filled it to the "top" line don't be surprised if next time it gets hot or you stop there is another barf of coolant. If so don't worry, check the level again once cold and if it is at or above minimum leave it alone.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I purposely overfilled the reservoir a little. During our drive, it dumped a bit of coolant, but not much and has been spill-free since. Letting the fan run and then turning off the ignition has made it a problem free drive (well except for the very jerky throttle)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts