MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just when I though it was all coming together I notice white stuff around the side stand, below the coolant pump etc.

IMAG0059.jpg

Is it going to be obvious when I pull the pump off which seal has gone ?

·
Administrator
19,855 Posts
It is the mechanical seal in the pump.
It could just be weeping a bit from drying out if the bike has sat unused for a length of time. Might heal itself, or will get worse in a hurry. You could try some "stop leak" as a cure.
Believe it or not, the major manufacturers all put stop leak in their new engines at the assembly line as a front line defense against minor leaks while cooling system components "bed in". I know this because I have seen it being done.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sitting still is not on this bikes list of things to do, I've added 20000km to it this year already.

It got worse today. Looking back at a pic from a couple of weeks ago there were a few tell tell signs of white. Do these things really let go and dump coolant over the back wheel when moving ?

·
Administrator
19,855 Posts
It will start pissing coolant pretty well as it fails but air flow tends to keep it from coating the tire. None the less, you should fix it now. Even if the tire doesn't get slippery the engine will start to overheat.

Not very expensive and not very difficult.

·
Registered
394 Posts
This seems to be a common issue this fall for some reason. Depending on the model year of your bike and the seal type this could be a very easy fix.
I just completed the repair on my 2008 F4 312R for a leaking coolant side seal. The coolant was exiting from the weep hole located between the oil seal and the coolant seal.
If you can post up a picture of your water pump and year of your bike I might be able to help you out. The coolant side seal for the 2008 F4 is a 28 X 12 X 8 mm. Correction! The stock seal is 28 X 12 X 7mm, I checked this after I removed the stock seal.
If yours is the same try an auto parts store and if they can't help you I can send you one.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, it's a Brutale, 2008 910R ( euro3 with the twin fans, later ecu etc). I'll probably drain the coolant and pull it apart tonight.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Noel or Carl? Does this bike have the same coolant pump as the 2008 F4?
Help may be on the way. :)

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Should be the same as my 1078 just take the bearings and seals to a good bearing shop ,got the lot up in Brisbane from pine river bearings 30 bucks all up approx

·
Administrator
19,855 Posts
All the pre-2010 use the same basic pump. There was an upgraded impeller and cover on later F4s which is available as a kit to retro fit older bikes. The pump shaft, bearing and seal configuration changed around 2007 or 8, but the seal remains the same if I recall. Pretty simple repair.
Do a thread search on water pump upgrades for more info.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hi Rich,
Definitely worth upgrading the impeller while you have it in bits. I would also recommend "Engine Ice" coolant once you have it sorted. It's touted to be a long hot summer on the East Coast...:flamethro

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, didn't get to it last night, bottle of wine got in the way....

As I don't have over heading issues, temp gauge never goes above 94C, I'll skip the upgrade at the moment, it's also possible it's already been done.

Just called my local supplier and they have Buna 12 X 28 X 7 mm in stock but not the 8mm , they seem to think that would be fine, but I'm not so sure. Should I try it or not mess about and get the correct one ordered in ?

·
Registered
394 Posts
The 7mm vs 8mm I am thinking should not be a problem other than just make sure the seal is seated down inside all the way until it stops. Correction! The stock seal is 28 X 12 X 7mm.
When you get the pump apart post up a picture of the seal behind the pump impeller. Early models used a ceramic type seal with a spring.
Take a look in the sticky section above this thread and you will see what the early units look like.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, got the pump off.

Mine if the later one with one circlip at oil end of the shaft.

Shaft will not come out, the manual seems to say the shaft will come out with the impeller but mine certainly does not want to.

Do I have to remove the impeller to remove the shaft ?

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
ok ,unscrew the impeller ,by memory anticlockwise,but a spad bit in the notched end to hold it firm or any other flat metal then unsrew the impeller anticlockwise,you might have to use a screwdriver wedged into the blades to turn it,bitch of a thing to unscrew ,then undo the circlip holding the bearing in,i think you already have done this from your photo,now once you have the impeller of ,use a bit of hardwood and tap from empeller screw side ,the back bearing should start to come out,basically the shaft will push this out,next to get the second bearing out i use a hex head bolt and placed that through the centre of the second bearing and just tighten the bolt nut up it comes out pretty good,you will have to use some type of washer on the circlip side ,hopefully this makes sense

cheers eddy

·
Registered
186 Posts
^^ sorry can't help with that
Did you end up sourcing the seals, if it's the same as the 08 F4, I've got the whole set of seals, o'rings and impeller shaft, was going to do mine next service, but now upgrading bikes. PM me if you're interested.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
where you have the second picture,i placed a socket around that area to get the second bearing out,the hex head bolt went through the socket,with the nut on that end,so you just end up winding the second bearing all the way out.

·
Registered
394 Posts
-JC-
If you have a set of calipers please measure the inner oil seal as well as the bearings on your replacement set. It will go a long way in helping the team. The coolant side I know is 28 X 12 X 8mm but the oil seal size I do not know or the bearings. Correction! The stock seal is 28 X 12 X 7mm.

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
The rear seal, Brown in colour is a 22x12x7mm, oil resistant seal.
The bearings are both the same as the front seal 28x12x8, no seals on the bearings as they run in engine oil.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts